• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should driving on the beach be banned?

• yes

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • no

Votes: 33 37.5%
  • conditional (give conditions below)

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Property owner? Oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to make friends with one so I can drive on the beach! :)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mike B. said:
Property owner? Oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to make friends with one so I can drive on the beach! :)

Making friends with one wont help unless you intend on driving their vehicle. Maybe that surfer girl will let you ride her beach buggy.

Mike B. said:

There are lots of rules.

Here are some just from memory:

Must be a 4X4
Must be a resident of South Walton and can prove it
Have to prove you are the owner of the veh and I had to provide pics of the truck.
Sticker must be permantly afixed in an obvious locatioin (Can't just throw it up on the dash or tape it to the window)
You have to schedule the drivers that are allowd to drive the veh and they make a charge per driver.

I'm sure there are more rules. But those are the ones I remember. :cool:

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Ahh yes... The surfer girl that I have yet to find. :)

Those are actually some great rules. I guess that prevents schmucks like me who come down for a weekend here and there from cruising all over the beach.

On a side note, how does that sand effect your trucks as far as sand getting into everything like wheel bearings, transfer case, rear dif.?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mike B. said:

Those are actually some great rules. I guess that prevents schmucks like me who come down for a weekend here and there from cruising all over the beach.

On a side note, how does that sand effect your trucks as far as sand getting into everything like wheel bearings, transfer case, rear dif.?
Basically, your (my) vehicle will rust back into the earth from which it came. May it rest in peace.

Mike B. said:

No problems with mine yet '02 Z71 Burb. But I'm not down there all year long doing it. Most of the local "beach trucks" I've seen are pretty rough. Lots of rust and some make a lot of noise in the drive train. :cool:

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I was guessing that rust and differential wear would happen over time. In that case it would be cool to get an old Jeep CJ7 as a second car beach cruiser!

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I have a friend with a cherry restored 74 FJ40 Landcruiser that will go anywhere! We cant even get it stuck in Kentucky mud.