• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I like shallowsnole route of 81 to 79. Then you skip Defuniak and a couple small towns but then I'm comin' fom TN :D

How long does it take you with this route? Being from TN as well, I lam always looking for quicker routes.

These are my directions from ATL down. They have served me well over the years ;)

5-6 hr drive depending on your speed----

From Atlanta, travel south on I-85 for approximately 75 miles to I-185. (about 65 minutes)

Exit right onto I-185 for 40 miles to Hwy 80. (about 30 minutes)

Stay on Hwy 80. (You are going around Columbus & through Phenix City for 6.5 miles where it dead ends at traffic lights.)

Turn left at the lights and follow signs to Hwy 431. The distance from your left turn to 431 is approx. 2.8 miles.

Travel south on 431 (93.8 miles) through Eufala to Dothan & the Dothan bypass, which is Hwy 231 South (Ross Clark Circle). The bypass takes 10 minutes (7 miles) traveling around Dothan.

On 231 South, you will go south all the way to I ?10 West. This is about 31.7 miles.

Go West on I -10 for 45 miles (35 minutes @ 80 mph.) to exit 85 (De Funiak Springs). At the bottom of the ramp, turn left onto Hwy 331.

Travel about 14 miles and as you come into Freeport, turn left at the lights onto 20 East.

Travel on 20 East for about one mile to your first traffic lights and turn right back onto 331 South.

Follow 331 across the bridge for 9.6 miles to the lights at Hwy 98.

GraysonDave

Beach Comber
May 13, 2007
Travel south on 431 (93.8 miles) through Eufala to Dothan & the Dothan bypass, which is Hwy 231 South (Ross Clark Circle). The bypass takes 10 minutes (7 miles) traveling around Dothan.

I can save you 5-10 minutes here. After you have been on 431 for about a mile or two, take a left onto ALA rte 165; After 32 miles or so it will end at 431 just north of Eufala. Take a left and continue as usual. But don't tell anyone else about this shortcut. I don't want the word to get out.

:D

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Rapunzel insists that the Dothan bypass is a scam to get people into the McRestaurants and stores on the way to the beach. When we go from Georgia to the beach and vice/versa, I must say that if there is traffic, going through downtown did seem faster, but those aren't my stomping grounds, so I don't know:dunno:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I can save you 5-10 minutes here. After you have been on 431 for about a mile or two, take a left onto ALA rte 165; After 32 miles or so it will end at 431 just north of Eufala. Take a left and continue as usual. But don't tell anyone else about this shortcut. I don't want the word to get out.

My uncle lives in Headland (between Dothan and Eufalua) and told me about this shortcut years ago. He told me to take it because 431 is so dangerous. (About the same time, an article in Reader's Digest listed it as one of the deadliest stretches of road in the U.S.) It's two-lane, but traffic usually is light.

Rapunzel insists that the Dothan bypass is a scam to get people into the McRestaurants and stores on the way to the beach. When we go from Georgia to the beach and vice/versa, I must say that if there is traffic, going through downtown did seem faster, but those aren't my stomping grounds, so I don't know:dunno:

I hate Ross Clark Circle. I always go straight through Dothan.

Sheila

SoWal Insider

Sorry GD, this is a "well known" secret! We take this route every trip down. But I won't tell! ;-)

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
How long does it take you with this route? Being from TN as well, I lam always looking for quicker routes.
I guess the quickest we've found from TN is actually to pass Montgomery about 50 - 60 miles to Georgianna exit. Take L on SR 106 about a mile, second stop sign take R on 55 South thru Andalusia all the way to Florala to 331. Take a L on 98 about 10 1/2 miles and make a R thru Camp Creek Golf Course to 30-A. I have done this to Gallatin in 7 hrs and 45 mins but that is the absolute quickest for me. It's usually 8.
This other way is good iif you want to stop at the springs on the way in or just bypass DeFuniak but pickin' up 231 in Montgomery is not always a good plan if you're in a hurry. From 231 you would pick up SR 89 about 50-75 miles, which turns into 81 over the Florida line , then L on 20 in Bruce, go about 6 miles and turn R on 79, then R on 98 W about 10 miles to Seacrest. Its not quicker but there is a lot less traffic.I 'd say it was about 8 1/2 hours that way. If you're in Franklin or south you can really shave off about 1/2 hr. from our time. We are north of Nashville about 30 mins. :cool: