• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I know there has been discussion on the board before about the number of guests that occupy a rental. I know there are limitations, like you don't want 15 people in a one bedroom condo and so forth. But, what about if the rental unit states that it sleeps 4, and you have 3 adults and 4 kids, 2 of those kids sleeping on airbeds. The condo is clearly big enough to have 2 twin airbeds for the kids. Do you think one would get thrown out for doing this? Would you as condo owners be upset if it were your condo? Just wondering? :dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Rental rates and fire codes are based on the stated occupancies. I would like to see what other people (especially those renting out places) say, but I feel 7 in a 4 person condo is excessive - especially if the "sleeps 4" means 2 beds.

My general thought is that if you have to bring in additional beds, you should rent a bigger place. An extra kid on a sofa or pullout, not a big deal. Also remember that if you have 7 in a 4 there may not be enough towels, plates, glasses, dining chairs etc. for that many.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Kathy - there are so many variables here - but if I didn't know you or the circumstances - Yes - I would not like it. The more people you have in a place the greater the chances of something getting broken - wear and tear is greater etc. The higher the water bill etc. I wish more renters would adhere to the rules. Once I looked in our guestbook and it was signed by 11 people -our unit is 6 maximum. I was not happy and brought it up to the property management people.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I have a rental that is for 2 people only. I had some people show up with one extra person and went ahead and let them rent it. I regretted it.

I agree with the other posters. If it is for 4 people then four people it is. If it was an infant in a pack and play then I could understand but older kids adding to the equation does make it more wear and tear. I dont even like someone wanting to just sleep on the sofa. If I wanted them to do that then I would get a sleeper sofa.

Thanks for letting me have my say :D :wave:

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The more people, the more wear and tear!

Our 4 bed/2 bath can sleep 12, but that includes using the queen sleeper sofa in the living room. For a week people don't mind being packed in like sardines, but it can take it's toll on your home after a while. This is our third season with our home that had never been lived in before. I noticed this year that the carpeting is taking more work to keep decent looking.

We've noticed that almost all of our renters end up having guests that drop in during the week. We used to try and charge for extra people, but it ended up being too much of a hassle. We even had one group that wouldn't admit to having extra people for the whole week. We counted at least 15, but they insisted it was only 8 adults and 1 infant. I even tried to get an honest answer from the 6 teenagers that were in the pool when I stopped by to clean it. They had the same response ... 8 adults and 1 infant. Hmm? Teaching our kids to lie are we??

I guess there's just something about having a house at the beach that attracts friends and family from neighboring states.

pokey

Beach Lover
Jul 20, 2005
In defense of renters, sometimes we have more people at the house during the day, but not to sleep. My college age kids usually have friends that are at the beach the same week we are there. The kids tend to hang together at one house/pool or another, but all return to their own rental homes for bedtime. We have never had more people at the home than the home max and usually I rent a home with more beds than I need as I never know till the last minute if one of the kids will have another friend join us for a day or two.

At the same time, I side with the home owner in that there is a reason for a max number of guest. I would hope people would honor the owners request and keep within that allotted number. I personally wouldn't want to spend my vacation cramped into a house that sleeps less than the number of people I had. As the head cook and bottle washer of the family, there is just so much togetherness I can handle!:rotfl:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I know there has been discussion on the board before about the number of guests that occupy a rental. I know there are limitations, like you don't want 15 people in a one bedroom condo and so forth. But, what about if the rental unit states that it sleeps 4, and you have 3 adults and 4 kids, 2 of those kids sleeping on airbeds. The condo is clearly big enough to have 2 twin airbeds for the kids. Do you think one would get thrown out for doing this? Would you as condo owners be upset if it were your condo? Just wondering? :dunno:
Darlene, I understand where you're coming from, and I've been tempted to push the envelope, shall we say, also. In the end, though, we've never done it. If nothing else, I knew the rental company would be able to kick us out solely due to the fact that we'd exceeded the occupancy limit. That's a big enough deterrent to me.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
hey kdw,
You are very thoughtful to ask. :cool: When we rented a place down in Indian Rocks beach the owner had me send a list of everyone that would be in his home plus age, address and signatures on a written contract. :dunno: I think it is highly variable on the owner. In our 2 BR townhouse I encourage kids on air mattresses. It would be nice if only one family or couple stayed at a time but I rent mine pretty infrequently so I don't mind a couple extra kids occasionally. I like to talk to folks and see if they sound honest and respectful. :blink: If so I have no problem with a few kids on air mattresses in addition to allotted number of adults as long as they aren't having a red kool-aid party on the light colored living room carpet. :yikes: I have 2 nice families on the week of the 4th, a brother and sister and thier kids, 2 each. So it will be :cool: for the cousins to stay together I'm sure.:love: If our place was rented all the time though the wear would add up I'm sure. I gotta get easier flooring. Shampooing carpet is no funn.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Our max number of guests is the maximum number of walking people we want in the house. If there is more, then they aren't in beds and the house would just become too small to handle everyone comfortably. We don't have a sleeper sofa in the living room because we don't want more people in the house to add to the wear and tear and utility bills. More people also equals more parties. Parties are my worst nightmare.

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
We prefer to rent a place large enough for each person to have space to move around and a bed for rest. We also like tiled floors as opposed to carpet. I mop the floors daily as I am a neat freak. If unit has carpet, I vaccum daily just like home. Many times, the unit is cleaner when I leave than it was when I arrived.