• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Diane4145 said:
Next best thing to Fed Ex/Kinkos, is our UPS Store at Watercolor Crossing, on 395. It's located to the left of Publix, ;-) for those not familiar. They offer copying, faxing, mailing packages, etc., just not quite as many services, probably. I use to be in Commercial Real Estate, you can bet that their rent's up there! :eek:

The folks at the UPS Store at Watercolor Crossing are great! They have really helped me out in a jam, and donated services to a major school fundraising event when we needed them. good community-oriented people. not at all like a chain.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I don't think there is much we can do to prevent chains along 98. and there isn't much space on 30-A for anything substantial (I don't think). I guess we'll have to worry about the biggies like Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx, Home Depot, another Destin Commons, etc. But many locals will welcome the convenience. I would like to see it kept to a minimum, and no really massive department stores. Hwy 331 will eventually be a hot spot for chains as well... I think people can have some say about something really major as it comes up for development approval. But the little chains will keep coming, I'm sure. I would love a good steak house but could care less about fast food...

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
There doesn't appear to be a boom in small business in South Walton because it's so expensive to get started. Maybe it's selfish, but it would be nice to be able to drive through and get a 4.00 Wendy's every now and then - here's a novel idea, maybe even have a pizza delivered? I hear they do that now?

lollygal

Beach Fanatic
I don't want to see any kind of "chains" on 30A. IMO, that is what separates 30A from Panama City and Destin. It is great to know you have a place on the beach where when you leave you don't face golden arches or other flashing signs advertising bungee jumps. That is the charm of 30A. You can get that in a short drive by going to Destin or PCB, but you don't have to deal with it on 30A. We need to make sure that is always preserved.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
My problem with Subway is that they tried to kill me a few years back. (well I felt like I was going to die at the least) But as long as a chain complies with 30-A architectural standards, why not? The zoning and traffic capacity caps would probably keep out anything big box. And it's nice to find cheap eats in an area where lunch normally runs about $10/head.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
WaltonUndercurrent said:
There doesn't appear to be a boom in small business in South Walton because it's so expensive to get started. Maybe it's selfish, but it would be nice to be able to drive through and get a 4.00 Wendy's every now and then - here's a novel idea, maybe even have a pizza delivered? I hear they do that now?

okay, okay, I'll go for a Wendy's cheeseburger and fries. :drool:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oh c'mon- nobody wants a White Castle? Their buildings are SOOo beautiful! And really white! And they would look great at Alys Beach!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
WaltonUndercurrent said:

We had the Pizza Hut which delivered but they stopped delivering due to lack of staff, so I am told. Now they are gone.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
It would be great if we had some delivery (as far as I know, Brunos offers the only delivery) but it doesn't have to be from a chain. Someone could probably do a great business by being a delivery service -- e.g., independently delivering food from different places. Can you imagine how many renters would have delivery if rental owners kept the phone number and menus from the delivery service on the fridge or by the phone.

Rather than chain stores, I'd like to see independently owned hot dog stands, hamburg stands, etc., that provide inexpensive food (e.g. $5.00 for a hot dog, chips and drink) in some areas -- it would feel more "beachy" and less "mallish".

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Paula said:
It would be great if we had some delivery (as far as I know, Brunos offers the only delivery) but it doesn't have to be from a chain. Someone could probably do a great business by being a delivery service -- e.g., independently delivering food from different places. Can you imagine how many renters would have delivery if rental owners kept the phone number and menus from the delivery service on the fridge or by the phone.

Rather than chain stores, I'd like to see independently owned hot dog stands, hamburg stands, etc., that provide inexpensive food (e.g. $5.00 for a hot dog, chips and drink) in some areas -- it would feel more "beachy" and less "mallish".

Grayton Corners has 1/4#hot dogs, and you can get a dog, chips and big drink for around $3.50.

The problem with the delivery service is that with the price of gasoline and labor, it would be difficult to keep money in the pocket.