• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ok, This is NOT what I am wanting to hear, as we are arriving in a few days. :yikes: I have a question on the flags. How does it work, who makes the call, who changes them, etc, etc.
We will be at Camping on the Gulf (where the girl was killed 2 years ago :cry: ) and there is no lifeguard on duty anywhere in that area. I know those flags dont just change themselves, so when the call is made to change it to purple or double red, how does that work??? I am thinking if there is "known" marine life in the area, you need to know asap (not 30 mins later). Is the property owner responisble to make the flag change?

How much weight do these flags hold?

Please explain and ease my mind :dunno:

You are swimming in the Gulf. Nobody "knows" when sea creatures will show up. It is your responsibility to watch the flags, but more importantly, watch the water and your kids. As SJ said, a green flag does not guarantee anything. It is posted based on current conditions. The flag could be changed, the fire dept. personnel can leave, and 5 minutes later a shark could swim up.

TN2FLA

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2006
Dune Allen
sharks, especially bulls, hammerhead, spinner, sandbar, and makos are daily commonplace to this area...people need to exercise extreme caution in the water, remember the gulf is their home

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
You are swimming in the Gulf. Nobody "knows" when sea creatures will show up. It is your responsibility to watch the flags, but more importantly, watch the water and your kids. As SJ said, a green flag does not guarantee anything. It is posted based on current conditions. The flag could be changed, the fire dept. personnel can leave, and 5 minutes later a shark could swim up.

sharks, especially bulls, hammerhead, spinner, sandbar, and makos are daily commonplace to this area...people need to exercise extreme caution in the water, remember the gulf is their home
So true. At Camp Helen today, I was already on alert because a man was fishing in approximately waist-high water; I told my kids to stay away from where he was fishing. Guess my instincts were good, because not too long after, the man's companion came down the beach to let me know there was a shark nearby and to keep the kids close to shore and watch them. The shark left and later returned, and this time, we saw him. The kids were a little reluctant to swim again but not freaked out, which I figured was a healthy response. Both people who warned us today also encouraged us not to be afraid of being in the water but simply to be on watch.

Rice2715

Beach Comber

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
This was in today's Daily News:

Sharks close beach
Aggressive bulls scare swimmers in Walton
By HEATHER CIVIL heatherc@nwfdailynews.com*

****SANTA ROSA BEACH ? Bull sharks swimming near the shore late Thursday morning in Walton County forced hundreds of swimmers from the Gulf of Mexico.
****Lifeguards spotted five or six large bull sharks swimming just off a 3.5-mile stretch of beach from Gulfview Heights to Dune Allen Beach at about 11 a.m. Officials closed the water to swimming for about two hours as the sharks swam as close as 15 feet from the beach.
****?We had one in particular that made a very aggressive approach to a group of four swimmers,? said Gary Wise, beach safety director for the South Walton Fire District.
****One of the sharks was about 10-feet-long, he said.
****After they left the water, many people stayed on the beach in hopes of catching a glimpse of the sharks.
****Bulls are among the most dangerous sharks and have killed and injured swimmers in the gulf. Officials believe a large bull shark killed 14-yearold Louisiana resident Jaimie Marie Daigle in the gulf two years ago.
****That attack occurred in Miramar Beach, about a mile west from where the bull sharks were seen Thursday.
****Judy McDonough saw the sharks near the beach access at Ed Walline Park just before the lifeguards ordered people out of the water. She said she heard a whistle blow and the lifeguards yelling at everyone to get on the beach.
****?I was just glad they were watching and told everyone to get out of the water,? she said.
****Several species of shark live in the gulf and there are sightings almost every day, Wise said.
****Thursday was different because of the sharks? behavior, he said. They seemed especially interested in people and got too close for comfort.
****?They came right into the shore,? he said.
****Wise advises swimmers who spot a shark nearby to get out of the water until it leaves.
****That?s especially good advice with bull sharks, which are known for their aggressive nature, Wise said.
****Tanya Deer and her 9-yearold son, Jack, weren?t taking any chances when they saw fins in the water. They left the beach for a few hours and came back later. However, Jack was disappointed he couldn?t get a closer look at the sharks before he left.
****?They were cool,? he said.

****Photos by RICHARD OWEN | Florida Freedom Newspapers The shadowy form of a bull shark swims Thursday in the Gulf of Mexico close to an unaware kayaker near the beach access at Goatfeathers Restaurant in Walton County. Although sightings occur nearly every day, the five or six sharks seen Thursday seemed especially interested in swimmers, said Gary Wise, beach safety director for the South Walton Fire District. Top left, Walton County Sheriff?s Deputy Robert Gray drives his truck along the beach Thursday after sharks forced hundreds of swimmers out of the gulf. The water was closed to swimmers for about two hours until the sharks left the area.

Article
View
Links

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
From our last trip.....

They came through every day we were there.

FloridaBeachTripOctober2006207Small.jpg

FloridaBeachTripOctober2006212ssSmallSmall.jpg