• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, we are almost to October. Normally, the time of year when I start eating as many oysters as I can get my hands on. Problem is, the oyster beds in Louisiana are, for all intents and purposes, gone. I know Acme at baytowne wharf still gets their oysters from Lousiana (or at least they did before Katrina).

With the Bon Secour beds also destroyed, and with red tide in Appalachicola, are there any decent oysters around? If so, where are they coming from?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
I wonder if it's okay to eat oysters at the Taste of 30-A event this Friday. BTW is Taste of 30-A worth going to?
I guess that depends whether TS Rita becomes Hurr Rita and ruins the party.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
OK, here's the straight dope on oysters. They are filter feeders, so that means they suck in whatever is in the water along with their food. Imagine an organic aquarium filter in dirty water and you've about got it. Add sewage and you get a tasty oyster. I will not eat gulf oysters until next year at the earliest. Find a place that has Atlantic Oysters, since Ophelia didn't hurt their environment too badly.

Last edited:
aquaticbiology said:
OK, here's the straight dope on oysters. They are filter feeders, so that means they suck in whatever is in the water along with their food. Imagine an organic aquarium filter in dirty water and you've about got it. Add sewage and you get a tasty oyster. I will not eat gulf oysters until next year at the earliest. Find a place that has Atlantic Oysters, since Ophelia didn't hurt their environment too badly.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll eat any until next year AND I get the hepatitis A vaccine, just to be safe.