• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

onanochef

Beach Comber
Oct 18, 2006
panama city
In New York, where I lived most of my life, many restaurants allowed you to bring your own wine, especially if you called and asked first. You would pay a corkage fee of $10 -$15. Are there any restaurants in the Walton, Bay county, or Okaloosa county area that have this policy ?

Onano does allow this.

coonass

Beach Comber
Jan 24, 2007
come to Blue Orleans we don't charge a corkage fee. just a taste of what u bring for gator:rotfl:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
15.00 I believe.

$15.00 to pop a cork on a wine bottle? Really? Or, is there something else that goes along with a "corkage fee". I am not that big of wine drinker, but I would like to get educated on the subject.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
$15.00 to pop a cork on a wine bottle? Really? Or, is there something else that goes along with a "corkage fee". I am not that big of wine drinker, but I would like to get educated on the subject.
Restaurants make $$ on liquor, especially wine. The cork fee is how they offset the fact that they are not making money/covering their overhead on your beverage and that your server isn't being tipped on that amount either.

I've never paid more than $5 for a cork fee.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Fine dining restaurants that allow you to byow will generally charge $10-$15 for a corkage fee. Having said that, many restaurants in NYC will not charge a corkage fee at all if you call beforehand and ask if you may byow (lots of competition for the dining out dollar). I would like to see more restaurants here allow customers to bring their own wine. I hardly ever order a bottle of wine in a restaurant here because I am familiar with what the retail price is for many wines. I have a hard time paying 2 or 3 times the retail price at the restaurant. I would rather pay a $20 corkage fee on my own 1997 Insignia (which retails for over $150 if you can find it) then $60 for a mediocre bottle of wine. I have a good collection of expensive and rare California cabs such as Silver Oak, Spottswoode, Far Niente, Caymus, Ch. Montelena, Araujo, and many French Bordeaux wines. I would be very willing to spend $20 per bottle on a corkage fee. That would be a win/win for the consumer and the restaurant. Restaurants are in business to make money and wine and liquor sales is where the profit is but I think a $20 corkage fee per bottle is a nice compromise. Since neither my wife or I cook (we go out 4-5 times a week), we would frequent a restaurant that we loved twice weekly if allowed to bring our own wine. This is a great way for the local restauranteur to cultivate loyal customers and insure repeat business. Nothing like a great bottle of wine as the centerpiece of the meal. Many fine dining establishments allow patrons to bring wine that is not on the menu, which is a nice compromise. I would interested to know what some of the local restauranteurs think. criolla man ? ItzKatzTime ? What do you guys think ?

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
P.S.

I ALWAYS leave extra table money, in addition to the 20% tip, for the server when I bring my own wine to allow for the fact I did not order an alcoholic beverage.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:shock: :shock: my high school boyfriend bought me a case of MD 20/20 for Christmas one year....:yikes:

:rotfl: ...omg!!! We used to drink MD 20/20 mixed with Schlitz Malt Liquor! Talk about overserved. :yikes: Who thought of that combo???