• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
As a life-long cyclist, I've lurked this thread and kept my mouth shut. Too many heated opinions and no resolution in sight...

A small point on definitions, though.

Someone who rides a bicycle is a cyclist.

Someone who rides a Harley with no mufflers is a biker.

Atlanta Bo's post about two bikers assaulting a motorist brought up mental images of a coupla fat guys with beards beating up someone, until I read the detail. :lolabove:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I watched 2 bikers make a total scene and verbally assault( with good swear words and all ) a driver in front of the Villages of South Walton this morning ( as I rode on the bike path ) .They were very upset that somebody took a little too long to make a right turn . It seems to me that the other cars waited patiently . So much for following the rules the rules of the road .
Even though it is legal for bikes to be on the road , it is nuisance and is dangerous . It is like it used to be with dealing with smokers in bars , restaurants, and public places . Most didn't like it but it was legal and there was nothing you could do about it . Fortunately , They changed that law .

JB

:roll:

Bikers = smokers :rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Also, they do not have to buy tags for these bicycles, although we do have to buy tags for the motorized vehicles we drive.

For bikers to obstruct roadways that are overburdened with motorized vehicles, whose drivers already pay exorbitant gas taxes, shows hubris that disregards the bikers' responsibility to pay their fair share. There are bike paths prepared for them which do not infringe on the rights of motorized drivers. It is only their insistance on having their own way that puts them on 30A...

In addition, I don't want to see anyone harmed, either a biker physically or a driver emotionally. Please, there has to be a better way.

Not all motorized vehicles reqiure tags in the state of Florida. ;-)

Considering that a cyclist has extremely nominal impact on the asphalt, as opposed to a let's say Suburban, which seem to be a popular vehicle of choice around here, do you truly think that we cyclists don't pay our fair share. I drive a gas burning vehicle in addition to my bicycle, so I'm pretty certain that I pay my fair share of road taxes. Perhaps your thought may be more accurate if the cyclists didn't also own motorized vehicles, but I know of only one guy in SoWal who fits that bill. It is somewhat like the pedistrians around here. People driving motorized vehicles often forget that they also pedistrians on occasion, and that we all need to show some respect for other people's lives and safety. If you want safer roads, start with hanging up the telephone while driving.

GraysonDave

Beach Comber
May 13, 2007
I'm also a life long cyclist. Been riding bicycles since I was 5 years old. And in my opinion, anybody who rides a bicycle on a road designed for and used by motorized vehicles is downright crazy. Not to mention annoying.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'm also a life long cyclist. Been riding bicycles since I was 5 years old. And in my opinion, anybody who rides a bicycle on a road designed for and used by motorized vehicles is downright crazy. Not to mention annoying.

Just call me crazy, ... and annoying. :blush:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Once again it all comes down to people not respecting or being nice to each other.

I drive, I bike, I walk ...... and while doing all of those activities I am aware of and courteous to the other forms of transportation and I also am constantly running into others who are not! No matter whose side you are on (as people just have to take sides) there is someone participating in your activity whose behavior is ruining it for you!

Screaming and swearing at a stranger is ridonkulous! I'll feel pretty stupid for causing a scene like that........guess that's why I don't! Did I miss the memo that says it is now acceptable to curse out strangers for perceived slights?

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Wonder what happened to the signs with the rules for the bike path.:dunno: I did not realize how smart it is to say a loud, passing on the left, when you're passing, until I read the sign years ago. Then I realized how important it is for safety. People don't hear you riding up right next to them. So please bikes say 'passing' when you're passing pedestrians that way people won't accidentally kill us both by stepping in front of you.:yikes: