• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
With a name like j beam, I have only this advice for your drive, "drink lots of liquor, and let someone else drive." Oops! I thought that "n" was a "m," but you can still drink lots of liquor or eat lots of jelly beans -- your choice.

Last edited:

rocket136

Beach Comber
Mar 1, 2007
St. Louis
Hey J.bean Have a good time. We're here right now and leaving for STL in the am :cry: We plan on going through Memphis and Missisippi

We've been the Memphis way and the Nashville way and prefer the Memphis way because of the abundance of 4 lane roads -- 331 from Montgomery can be a nightmare.

If you are planning a two day stopping in Nashville can be a real treat. We stay at the doubletree downtown within walking distance of the honky tonks on Broadway. The kids stay in the room with a pizza and some movies while you can catch some of the best live music ever, with little or no cover charge. I'm not a big fan of country music but great live music can't be beat..

On the way down my wife and daughter stayed in Hattiesberg - Comfort Inn - there wasn't a lot of choice low vacancy- she was not impressed.

Have a good one :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Stop at Annie's in Luverne, Alabama. GREAT country cooking. And get this- the BEST fried clams I have had since Howard Johnson's tendersweets. I am not kidding- who would have figured the best clams would be in Luverne? Toots turned me on to this place.:clap:

Then again, you may not want to go to Luverne. It is on the 331 route you know.:roll: :lol:

seacliffes

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2006
Tangomar
Is 78 a divided Highway? Any stoplights on it, ie. State HWY?

How much of 331 is just two lane?

quote=TN2FLA;262007]78 to 65 to 55 to 331
THE ONLY WAY TO GO FROM MEMPHIS[/quote]

J.bean

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2007
www.myspace.com
With a name like j beam, I have only this advice for your drive, "drink lots of liquor, and let someone else drive." Oops! I thought that "n" was a "m," but you can still drink lots of liquor or eat lots of jelly beans -- your choice.

Jelly beans before liquor, never carsicker...

what a great way to get out of driving, "sorry dear, i've got a little captain in me, you'll have to drive this stretch"

rocket136

Beach Comber
Mar 1, 2007
St. Louis
Jelly beans before liquor, never carsicker...

what a great way to get out of driving, "sorry dear, i've got a little captain in me, you'll have to drive this stretch"

J.Bean
See my post under "traffic" in this forum, This last week being the 4th, I think it was heavier than usual but it's no unusual to 331 to back up when your leaving.

Just for your info It's hotter today in St Louis than it was all last week in SoWal, and the water was pristine.
Have a great Time!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
We went through Georgiana and I do not recall seeing any speed traps or cops either. But then again, we may have been going the speed limit through there and we do have radar. And it picks things up a good ways before we come upon the cops.

We tossed our radar detector after the Georgiana incident...the darned thing didn't give a warning until the we'd already been "shot":bang: I've known others who've been ticketed in the same area. We just always make sure to go the speed limit when we drive down that route.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Is 78 a divided Highway? Any stoplights on it, ie. State HWY?

How much of 331 is just two lane?

quote=TN2FLA;262007]78 to 65 to 55 to 331
THE ONLY WAY TO GO FROM MEMPHIS
[/QUOTE]

Yes....78 is a great little divided 4 lane highway. Coming out of Memphis it's a little misleading because the first 5 miles or so take you through a run-down little area, but suddenly it turns into this great little highway.