• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
So that's where you been! :cool: Your a chair dude. :D Thanks for doin' the right thang for the turtles, TNJed! Maybe others will follow your cue. :clap:

10-12 hour days of sweat, sand and sun do keep the keyboard at bay. :violin: Just wait til the off season. I'll be back with a vengeance!:D This summer has been great though, can't complain. I've been trying to figure out a way to strap my chairs onto the turtles so they can help me move them, but those suckers are slippery! :lol: Just kidding. They really just have a poor work ethic.

Kurt said:
Jed, I feel for you and I see it as an ongoing battle for you guys. It would be nice if you were authorized to hire an extra guy just to help enforce the area you service. But that would open a whole other can of worms for you. My guess is it will come down to personal relationships between you and someone in the county who you can give a call to on a periodic basis to come and clear your area. In between times you and your coworkers and everyone else you can enlist will need to get the word out. Once again the rental agencies will be a big ally for you and can help educate and market for you.

Some sage advice there. Too right about opening a can of worms with trying to be a traffic cop on the beach. The rental agencies will be very key in advising their renters to the beach policies. Though, they have been known to be simple "yes men" or deliver out of date or incorrect info such as, "oh yes, chair and umbrella rentals are included with your condo/house." Being the fall-guy and bearer of bad news on the beach isn't fun for me. Though I do get a thrill from telling the renters to call their agency back and set them straight. :D

seaside2 said:
Mermaid, TNJed, I hear what you are saying. I think that part of my simple minded confusion comes from what Jed said about private homes versus condo sites. Many times we have been at a private home and the chairs and umbrellas were left out over night. At the condos, they were (Or are ) not being left out.

Contracted condos and HOA usually ask us to clear their beaches each night and if we want to stay in their good graces then we abide with a smile. Hey, "The Dude abides." Right? For the most part, these beaches are usually great to service anyway because the same powers that be keep their owners and guests in line as well in terms of keeping "their" beaches clear at night.

You're right about private homes being confusing. This falls under the whole private vs public beach debacle. Home owners and renters feel they should be able to leave what they want out at night but the county makes the rules. This is part of the problem. If people see stuff left out, unaware it's private property, then they understandably feel they can leave theirs out as well. Be it at a public access or another's property. Guests don't understand the invisible property lines. They see the water, tents left out overnight and figure, "me too!"

Like I said, it's gotta be all or none.

4:30-5pm is the generally accepted closing time. 9am seems a little late to me though for set-up. My feet hit the sand around 7am every morning and sometimes earlier depending on my work load. By the time I finish my morning set-up, it can be close to 8:30am. Perhaps you were just on the end of someone's morning duties, but you shouldn't have been first on the afternoon close. I can't speak for them though. :cool:

The reverse is true as well. If we start clearing at 5pm, sometimes we don't finish until 7pm. Then it's home to shower, eat, relax for an hour or two then bedtime because 6 am comes around quicker than you'd like. I'm lucky because I live in Seagrove. Many of the beach employees must drive an hour or more just to get here and another hour to get back home in the evening. Those boys works their tails off. That is, if you can find some that will actually show up each day. Lord, please build some affordable housing/apartments so the service industry can actually offer suitable accommodations for their workforce. Or, for that matter, actually have a workforce.

Again, not complaining, but behind the scenes there is A LOT of labor that goes into what we do and trying to negotiate half enforced rules only makes it harder.

Surfs up! See ya on the beach! ;-)

suebee

Beach Comber
Jun 19, 2005
Last year, while staying at Cottages of Camp Creek (fabulous, by the way), we rented an umbrella with two chairs, for set up each day, and brought our own umbrellas and chairs too daily. One afternoon, sudden thunderstorm came up...obviously no way we would stay at the beach. Closed the "rented" umbrella, loaded up the other umbrellas and chairs in the provided "beach cart", and left it under the beach access steps, so we could get out of dodge from the storm. Came back one hour later. The rental unit's umbrella and a chair were no longer there. Interestingly, our daughter's "beach hammock" was not taken. We replaced the "stolen" items for our owner. Go figure. We have stayed from Destin east for 13 years, and occasionally have beach set ups provided, or we rent same, or several times we have brought our beach "awning" when we have a larger group. We ALWAYS take it down at night, and replace in the ams (even when renting with a private home on the beach). We bring our coolers, and other paraphernalia, and ALWAYS pick up our trash (as well as that of others). When in the Panhandle in the summer, we pay attention to the sun, and thus, the umbrellas and awnings....We set up "camp" mid-morning, and the last of us leaves at sunset, always taking our "things". We recognize that the beach is not "ours", but like being able to come and go during the day as food and nature calls! We're coming back in two weeks, and I look forward to vegging on the beach, reading, enjoying family company, in the shade, with the visual and auditory beauty surrounding....PLEASE don't tell me I need to take my stuff with me when I go to pee or eat lunch! :)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Last year, while staying at Cottages of Camp Creek (fabulous, by the way), we rented an umbrella with two chairs, for set up each day, and brought our own umbrellas and chairs too daily. One afternoon, sudden thunderstorm came up...obviously no way we would stay at the beach. Closed the "rented" umbrella, loaded up the other umbrellas and chairs in the provided "beach cart", and left it under the beach access steps, so we could get out of dodge from the storm. Came back one hour later. The rental unit's umbrella and a chair were no longer there. Interestingly, our daughter's "beach hammock" was not taken. We replaced the "stolen" items for our owner. Go figure. We have stayed from Destin east for 13 years, and occasionally have beach set ups provided, or we rent same, or several times we have brought our beach "awning" when we have a larger group. We ALWAYS take it down at night, and replace in the ams (even when renting with a private home on the beach). We bring our coolers, and other paraphernalia, and ALWAYS pick up our trash (as well as that of others). When in the Panhandle in the summer, we pay attention to the sun, and thus, the umbrellas and awnings....We set up "camp" mid-morning, and the last of us leaves at sunset, always taking our "things". We recognize that the beach is not "ours", but like being able to come and go during the day as food and nature calls! We're coming back in two weeks, and I look forward to vegging on the beach, reading, enjoying family company, in the shade, with the visual and auditory beauty surrounding....PLEASE don't tell me I need to take my stuff with me when I go to pee or eat lunch! :)
We love visitors like you and wish more were like you!

Our beef is with those who leave their tents unoccupied for hours, days, indefinitely.........causing unsightly trash and trouble for others and nature's critters.

It is not allowed to leave items on any beach overnite, but many do. That is the rule we are pushing to enforce.

Last edited:

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
TNJed is right, chair dudes work theirs off 7 days. Tough way to make a living. It looks good at a casual glance, but it is hard work.:clap: :clap: :clap:

We have used several different chair dudes depending on the location and all are grayt!!

Couple this problem with the traffic issue and maybe it makes sense to add a negative incentive for folks to come down. I know this is bordering on anarchy, but maybe a beach occupancy tax, beach access fee or something like that to limit the number of people there. At the rate things are going, this place will be over run in 5 to 10 years.:dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Tonights final score-
Idiots who leave tents pitched after sunset-0
Skunkape-2

Booyah!:ninja:

YAY!!! I would so be there with you. I can't imagine anything more funn than this. :wave: