• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sandflea

Beach Lover
May 3, 2005
Destin
Actually was at a luncheon yesterday and the topic was market conditions and from the information shared, the Panhandle being ground zero is the opposite. Apparantly our unemployment rate is currently at 2.4% (national is 4.4%) and expected to drop lower. Nationally and in other areas of Florida (namely Miami & Clearwater) sales are down 50% - in the Panhandle sales are down 13% in Walton County, 27% in Crestview, 24% in Destin, 23% in Fort Walton Beach. So really, we're a bit better off than most of Florida and the nation.

Another quiet hurricane season wouldnt hurt either (knock wood everyone!)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Most national experts don't even think about the panhandle when they talk about Florida. Even officials in our own state have left us off the map at times.

BTW - the bottom is at 03:11 hours on 12/16/07.

Good to know as that's my mom's birthday. Now I know what to get her...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I noticed a news story the other day, which mentioned the going rate to purchase one parking space in the bottom of the building in which you live (New York City) was $250,000. :eek: The article also mentioned it was rare to find a parking space for sale. Some people say that the mortgage on purchasing the parking space is cheaper than the monthly cost to rent a parking space.

...and I thought $250,000 was a lot of money for a 45'x75' lot. :funn: Lord help us all when the new airport starts taking direct flights to NYC.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
I think I'll pass on that one. I don't need a group of Realtors and a Church in order to pray. ;-)

Joe, don't ya know, Shelly only answers the phones at that large realestate office she works. She does not need an invitation, until they hand out pink slips for playing on the computer during office hours :)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Actually was at a luncheon yesterday and the topic was market conditions and from the information shared, the Panhandle being ground zero is the opposite. Apparantly our unemployment rate is currently at 2.4% (national is 4.4%) and expected to drop lower.

And the median income is?......

Considering the past employment growth for Walton County (see sectors below) and given the present economic/housing situation in the panhandle/state/nation (see output of credible financial news services) I bet the "Luncheon Folks" are betting the farm on the new airport...right?

Total Five-Year Employment Growth in Walton County (2001-mid2006)

The Full-service restaurants industry has brought the most jobs with a total of 673 employees finding new jobs in the industry. The employment growth in the Full-service restaurants industry makes up 9.9 percent of the growth in Walton County.

Top 5 Industries
1. Full-service restaurants (673 new jobs)
2. Building equipment contractors (562 new jobs)
3. Building finishing contractors (534 new jobs)
4. Offices of real estate agents and brokers (450 new jobs)
5. Traveler accommodation (444 new jobs)

In Walton County, Florida, the total number of workers for all sectors has increased by 7,770 jobs between mid-2001 and mid-2006.

Out of the 57 industry sectors (4-digit NAICS) with employment figures reported by the BLS in each quarter, 7 accounted an for increase in employment during the period and 50 industries reported employment loss in the period.

Last edited:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Dismal Outlook? Oh Puuhlease.

Highs in the upper 80's next week, nice breeze coming off the water. The sand is still white, the Gulf is an endless variety of blues and greens. Forecast calls for laidback beach living..............etc.

Lets call some folks stuck in smog and traffic in ATL and explain to them how dismal our future is here. Give 'em a few years and they'll be beating the door down again -desperate to buy into our 'dismal' little corner of the world.

PS -We are NOT south Florida. Chicken Littles, please retire to Boca.

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
Actually was at a luncheon yesterday and the topic was market conditions and from the information shared, the Panhandle being ground zero is the opposite. Apparantly our unemployment rate is currently at 2.4% (national is 4.4%) and expected to drop lower. Nationally and in other areas of Florida (namely Miami & Clearwater) sales are down 50% - in the Panhandle sales are down 13% in Walton County, 27% in Crestview, 24% in Destin, 23% in Fort Walton Beach. So really, we're a bit better off than most of Florida and the nation.

Another quiet hurricane season wouldnt hurt either (knock wood everyone!)

So if I have some real estate I bought in 2005, are you willing to give me a premium on it? And sales are down from when? Saying that Walton County is better off than most of Florida and the rest of the nation is turning a blind eye to fact. YTD lot sales on the 30A corridor are down 87% from 2005, and down 27% from 2006. Residential lot sales in Freeport are down 88% from 2005 and 69% from 2006. The only bright spot is detached single family, up 51% from 2006, but still down 52% from 2005. Pop the champagne and buy some real estate. Thanks to SJ for the figures.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
And the median income is?......

Total Five-Year Employment Growth in Walton County (2001-mid2006)

The Full-service restaurants industry has brought the most jobs with a total of 673 employees finding new jobs in the industry. The employment growth in the Full-service restaurants industry makes up 9.9 percent of the growth in Walton County.

Top 5 Industries
1. Full-service restaurants (673 new jobs)
2. Building equipment contractors (562 new jobs)
3. Building finishing contractors (534 new jobs)
4. Offices of real estate agents and brokers (450 new jobs)
5. Traveler accommodation (444 new jobs)

In Walton County, Florida, the total number of workers for all sectors has increased by 7,770 jobs between mid-2001 and mid-2006.

Out of the 57 industry sectors (4-digit NAICS) with employment figures reported by the BLS in each quarter, 7 accounted an for increase in employment during the period and 50 industries reported employment loss in the period.

Shelly, I completely agree with you and understand that the type of employment we have here does not make for the most stable form of economy. However, I'm confused by the numbers you posted above.

Per these numbers, the total number of workers for all sectors increased by 7770 jobs, and the total number of the top 5 of the only 7 sectors to post an increase was 2663. The most added jobs that #'s 6 & 7 on the list could be 888 (tying with # 5, Traveler Accomodations), leaving a total gain of 3551 new jobs, 4219 jobs short of the 7770. That's not taking into account the 50 industries reporting a loss.

I'm not trying to challenge, but I do find these types of numbers interesting and am curious what I missed.

Thanks,