• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah, they had plastic/perfect looking strawberries and tomatoes back in the spring. It seems like they are doing the market more for "looks" than for actually providing quality homegrown prduce (which is not always perfect looking).

I thought the same thing. The fruit was too picture perfect. Also, the prices were more like those you might find placed on Certified Organic produce.

On another note, yesterday, while strolling throught the herb and flower garden in WaterColor, I stopped at the big Rosemary bush to get a whiff of freshness, and buried, almost in the middle of the bush, I saw a flag warning of pesticides on the plant. :eek: That is just dangerous. WaterColor has all of these beautiful herbs in abundance, and I'm sure that some people are likely to take a small cutting to use when seasoning their food. If they are going to spray the plants with pesticides, the warning flags should be placed in a conspicuous location around the perimeter of the plant, not buried in the middle of the plant with the plant covering the sole warning flag.

Christian

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2007
Pensacola
Eating locally this week--July 13!

Hey folks:

Here's the listing of local/regional produce available today. Remember that stock changes constantly, so be understanding if Toni doesn't have peaches; praise her and the others for working hard to get us fresh produce from local and regional sources.

Though we'd love for all of our food to come from our own backyards, I do include both locally-grown (NW Florida) and regionally-grown (FL, GA, and AL) or harvested foods on the list. This allows us access to a wider range of sources while still eating close to home--a vast improvement over foods shipped from CA and South America.

And for the time being we're not insisting on organically-grown foods. We hope that as more locals resolve to purchase local and regional foods, this will drive the market and gain us access to farmers and suppliers who we can help steer toward more sustainable agricultural practices.

Let's all resolve to eat more local foods and help drive the market to provide us with quality foods throughout the year!

Here we go for 7/13:

Perennials and Natives by a Girl Named Toni (west end 30 A next to Elmos) (moving to Grayton mid-August) 622-1889

okra, watermelon, blueberries, sweet potatoes, onions, new potatoes, bush beans, purple hull peas, butter beans, ziper peas, white peas, tomatoes, lettuce, squash, zucchini, peppers, jalapenos, yellow corn, honey, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, eggplant

For the Health of It, Blue Mountain Beach, 267-0558

arugula, new potatoes, daikon sprouts, red tomatoes, orange tomatoes, yellow tomatoes (high vit. C variety), cherry tomatoes, honey, zucchini, scallopini squash

And a new addition for those who head east to Panama City and beyond, as I often do on weekends:

Alissa's Market, on Hwy. 98 (Tyndall Pky.) at "Hogpen Curve", about 1/2 mile before WalMart on right, E side of Panama City 522-7171
They carry almost exclusively product from the SE, including amazing FL citrus in the winter; also sell citrus plants--I got an amazing Kaffir lime tree there cheap!

peaches, cantalope, watermelon, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, honey, squash, okra, corn, plums, nectarines, peanuts, and more

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
Re: Eating locally this week--July 13!

Alissa's Market, on Hwy. 98 (Tyndall Pky.) at "Hogpen Curve", about 1/2 mile before WalMart on right, E side of Panama City 522-7171
They carry almost exclusively product from the SE, including amazing FL citrus in the winter; also sell citrus plants--I got an amazing Kaffir lime tree there cheap!

:yikes: Okay, this place is on my list now, if only for the Kaffir limes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
For the Health of It, located in Blue Mtn Beach, mostly has a focus on Organic foods. However, some of the organic foods which they sell, are also local and regionally grown. Ask Pete for the particulars, but today, they had several varieties of locally-grown Tomatoes, along with locally-grown Arugula and a few other items which I cannot recall.

Toni

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2007
:welcome: christian. Thanks for starting this :cool: thread! :D
:welcome: Girl named Toni :wave: I've been to your store a couple years ago. :love: all your flowers . :clap: Glad to know you got produce too. :D That will save me a drive soon. How much is your large basket of peaches? :dunno:
I sell them 2.50 a pd.

Toni

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2007
I have fresh herbs here with no pesticides, and you can cut them fresh or take them home and plant them. Have a great day. Toni

Toni

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2007
No not additional, just the 5th nursery that we will build, but this time, we will own the property so finally, We will be fixtures in the grayton community, and we are looking forward to riding our bikes to dinner:) Have a great day! Toni

Toni

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2007
Re: Eating locally this week--July 13!

Hello Christian, haven't heard from you this week, I have speckled butter beans and regular, lady peas, purple hull, zipper peas, fresh green beans, peppers all colors, jalpeno, zuch, yellow squash, cantalope, a few peaches, and tomatoes of course, watermelon, new potatoes, eggplant both japanese and black beauty. Thanks Toni

Christian

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2007
Pensacola
Yes, Toni, I'm behind on my eating locally list this week, what with sea turtles and coastal dune lakes keeping me busy! Thanks for posting your list--it all sounds great. Maybe we can get the produce suppliers like you set-up to post their offerings themselves every week on Sowal. I'll talk to the For the Health of It folks too; some of the little produce stands and farms around I'll still probably have to post for them as I don't think they're on-line.