• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poodleone

Beach Fanatic
Jun 27, 2006
Kerens, Texas
Sure, I can see it, but if that were the cause, we wouldn't see people do it at Grayton. I do think that seeing people in general, leaving their crap out on the beach for a week at a time, sparks ignite in people's minds. I do understand your thought, but I just point out that it isn't due to rentals in particular, but the rentals left out overnight surely add to the problems. ;-)

Ah, the complexity of problem analysis! All I can say is I was just on the phone with my sister (discussing the new Harry Potter book, among many things) and started jumping up and down saying "6 weeks to vacation! 6 weeks to vacation"!

Kind of sad actually but it's all I have to get me going to work this afternoon.....;-)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I saw chairs this morning at Lakewood/Beachfront Tr (between Eastern Lake and Deer Lake) marked:
Butterfly Rentals 231-2826

Previously I've seen these:
Beach chair 4U rentals 231-4448 or 4446
267-2000 SWind Beach Service 231-2974

Maybe the previous ones are heeding the ordinance? Sorry my numbers might be wrong, the notes are rough. I had called on the beach and got recorders. They never called back. However, what do you think? Would a lot of complaints, tying up their phone lines, be educational and maybe persuasive for these squatters? After all, when they rent for more than a day, they simply are trying to make more money by doing less work.

Based on the schedule, they will be tagged Saturday in the Eastern Lake area and must be off by Monday. Not to mention, they have already received letters from Code Enforcement. The one thing about vendor chairs is that they can't hide as they typically have their names on them, and if they have multiple infractions their permits can be pulled by the County and they will be out of business..

Last edited:

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Wish I could monitor the tagging and removal at Eastern Lake this weekend, but I'm heading out of town for a week tomorrow AM. How about one of the other Eastern Lake SoWallers posting an update Sat or Sun?

I'll do to Lakewood/Beachfront, going east on Saturday. I doubt if the taggers will be there at 6 a.m. I will go again Monday a.m. and look for tags. Hey, I should do video of everything there on Saturday. Then go again on Tuesday and video the same stretch. Then youtube it. Or can I do videos at sowal?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Based on the schedule, they will be tagged today in the Eastern Lake area and must be off by Sunday. Not to mention, they have already received letters from Code Enforcement. The one thing about vendor chairs is that they can't hide as they typically have their names on them, and if they have multiple infractions their permits can be pulled by the County and they will be out of business..[/quote]

And that would be called...consequences! I'm guessing if their chairs are picked up, that would hurt business, as well. I know that beach set up is hard work, but it should be honest work, as well.

Thank you, everyone, for keeping us posted on the developments of this situation. Because of your diligence, the beaches might just get reclaimed! :clap:

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I'll do to Lakewood/Beachfront, going east on Saturday. I doubt if the taggers will be there at 6 a.m. I will go again Monday a.m. and look for tags. Hey, I should do video of everything there on Saturday. Then go again on Tuesday and video the same stretch. Then youtube it. Or can I do videos at sowal?

Considering how long that stretch of beach is, the tagging will probably be done by Saturday afternoon, which should help that area with all the new Saturday check-ins. Since Monday am is when they would start removing them, Monday afternoon/early evening would be a good time to see what is left.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Based on the schedule, they will be tagged today in the Eastern Lake area and must be off by Sunday. Not to mention, they have already received letters from Code Enforcement. The one thing about vendor chairs is that they can't hide as they typically have their names on them, and if they have multiple infractions their permits can be pulled by the County and they will be out of business..

I look forward to code enforcers issuing infractions. Really? By the way, the schedule I got says Sat/Mon for tag/drag for One Seagrove to Sea Breeze. I would think Eastern Lake would be in that zone F. No?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I look forward to code enforcers issuing infractions. Really? By the way, the schedule I got says Sat/Mon for tag/drag for One Seagrove to Sea Breeze. I would think Eastern Lake would be in that zone F. No?

No, I made a mistake and changed my post. You are right, it's sat/Monday sorry....

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Many of the beach chair rental companies will rent by the week, but leave the responsibility for the chairs to the renter. While the rental companies have always emphasized that the equipment is the responsibility of the renter, the sudden enforcement of the ordinance is providing a new twist in their ability to offer services to the visitors.

I am in full agreement with enforcement of the ordinances, but please don't go off at the rental companies because of their customers.

On another note, for those of you who got onto the mother about the amount of stuff she wanted to schlep to the beach, if you have not had children, please don't judge.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I saw chairs this morning at Lakewood/Beachfront Tr (between Eastern Lake and Deer Lake) marked:

Previously I've seen these:
Beach chair 4U rentals 231-4448 or 4446
267-2000 SWind Beach Service 231-2974

Those are the two with all the chairs at Ramsgate. I didn't want to identify them, as it wasn't my intent to make an object of them. I'm sure the other beach chair services along 30A all face the same challenge. It is revealing, though, that they are supposed to have letters in hand stating the intent to enforce the ordinance.

I'd hate to have to tell an angry chair renter that he/she was going to have to pay me for chairs that got confiscated. Those aren't $5 WalMart specials they are renting. And forcing the customers to remove the chairs every night takes away much of the convenience that sells the chair rentals in the first place. You know, I always thought the beach chair business might be a lot of work for the amount of $ you'd make from it. Looks like it just got worse.

None of which is a way of saying they should be exempt, just feeling a little emphathy.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Publicizing the tagging/removal schedule schedule seems counter productive to keeping the beaches clean. Now I know what days I can leave my stuff littering the beach w/ no repercussions!