• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ellesu

Beach Comber
Sep 18, 2005
Hi....I'm new to the boards and new to the Beaches of South Walton. My family and I will be staying on Seagrove beach Thanksgiving week and I can't wait. We usually stay in Gulf Shores. Can anyone describe how South Walton beaches will be different from Gulf Shores as far as the beaches themselves and the activities offered?

And, the question I really wanted to ask is, are there any restaurants or grocery stores that we could order a Thanksgiving turkey from? I REALLY don't want to haul a turkey all the way from Baton Rouge. :D

One more question if you don't mind (I'm sitting here in Baton Rouge trying to take my mind off Rita passing over as I type. ....Still have power so it's all good at the moment). Is there much difference in East Seagrove and West Seagrove?

Thank you all....

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
ellesu, you will love it there. You really can't tell that much difference in the sand, IMO, but the water in Destin and SoWal is just gorgeous!! No comparison to Gulf Shores.
Really can't help you with your other questions, but if you are going down a few days before Thanksgiving you shouldn't have a problem getting a turkey at any of the larger grocery stores. I think SoWal now has a Publix. Have fun, you will fall in love with the area.

Gulf Shores is all about four-lane highways and chain restaurants. SoWal is all about being laid back and unique. A lot of owners are here at Thanksgiving, so there are a lot of private parties. If you get friendly with an owner, you'll get invited. It's just really a nice family atmosphere with people relaxing and enjoying walking on the beach and enjoying the beauty of Mother Nature. You will never go back to Gulf Shores after experiencing SoWal.

As far as food goes, I don't like to have to stress over whether one of my favorite items is sold out at Publix on the day before Thanksgiving when I arrive. So I buy everything I need for Thanksgiving the weekend before, prepare breakfast muffins, desserts, and everything that is freezable that weekend, and bring the rest with me. The turkey thaws in a cooler full of ice on the trip down. It works out well.

If you don't want to take that route, call Cocoon's and place an order for their wide variety of food choices (with a Cajun flair). Buy the rest at Publix. Oh, and get some steamed shrimp at Goatfeathers.

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Welcome Ellesu! :clap_1: Other than the fact that the Emerald Coast Waters, speak for themselves, there's nothing like them!They are literally Emerald Green and rightfully named! Personally, I think that this area is much more enjoyable! Didn't Gulf Shores sustain alot of damage?

There are several grocery stores in the area, though I prefer Publix. They might even be selling whole cooked turkeys, for holidays. You can easily go online, search and get any info you'd like, in the area. I'm sure that you could even find a turkey. Though I am including a link to an Online Gourmet Turkey Business, that could take your entire Holiday meal order! They have turkey breasts, cutlett's, ground turkey, whole turkeys, fixens and more! For what you'll end up paying for Turkey and fixens, you could probably eat out and not have the hassles! :love: http://www.dinewise.com/turkey.html?source=cooked+turkey

Restaurant interest, I can help with the BEST! :clap_1: I tell everyone about the Old Florida Fish House and Bar, between Seagrove(Eastern Side) and Seacrest? It's fairly new, located right off of 30A on Eastern Lake, just over the bridge and on the left. My son Russ is one of their best servers , if I do say so myself! :razz: Anyone wanting a server that is very attentive and will provide a wonderful dining experience, should ask for him. If you forget his name, just ask for the big muscular, goodlooking guy, that recently returned form overseas! I'm sure that OFFHB'S going to have a Thanksgiving Dinner, too.

One of the owners, also owns Harbor Docks and they've done a GREAT job here, too! They have a diverse menu, unbelievable Sushi and I didn't even care for it, before. The atmoshere is very unique, food's superb, resort casual(have seen people in shorts and T'sl), wall waterfall and more! I haven't heard of anyone, that wasn't extremely pleased! Alot of people are thrilled, to have such a FANTASTIC Restaurant E. on 30A!

As far as the Eastern V Western Seagrove Beach: I live more to the west and to me, it's more established with older properties and a little more congestion. Eastern area seems less congested, with more new construction. It's all great though, peaceful and beautiful! The bike trail all along 30A are fantastic. You can even get a bike trail map, for 30A and the area. You'll enjoy checking out this 30A website, it's very informative! http://www.30-a.com/discover/guideto30a.asp

I'm saying a prayer for you and yours tonight, Ellesu!

ellesu said:
Hi....I'm new to the boards and new to the Beaches of South Walton. My family and I will be staying on Seagrove beach Thanksgiving week and I can't wait. We usually stay in Gulf Shores. Can anyone describe how South Walton beaches will be different from Gulf Shores as far as the beaches themselves and the activities offered?

And, the question I really wanted to ask is, are there any restaurants or grocery stores that we could order a Thanksgiving turkey from? I REALLY don't want to haul a turkey all the way from Baton Rouge. :D

One more question if you don't mind (I'm sitting here in Baton Rouge trying to take my mind off Rita passing over as I type. ....Still have power so it's all good at the moment). Is there much difference in East Seagrove and West Seagrove?

Thank you all....

ellesu

Beach Comber
Sep 18, 2005
Oh my goodness, thank you guys! :D You're a great bunch. SoWal sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for. Why haven't I found it before now?? :dunno: I've been reading the 'Top Ten Things to do in SoWal' (can't sleep with the storm howling outside) :sosad: and I can see myself with that cup of Community Coffee watching the sun rise--or will I walk the beach with a steaming coffee mug as the sun rises? ....Such lovely choices! And the sunsets I read about. :clap_1: I think I'll enjoy those with something more grownup. Maybe one my favorite *girly* drinks, as my husband calls them. :lol:

I'm getting hungry just reading about all the restaurants. I'm leaning toward cooking, freezing, and bringing Thanksgiving dinner down with me. But..I'm already planning all those other meals we'll have to eat. I hope Russ is working when we go to the Old Florida Fish House and Bar. I'll tell him his mom sent us. :D And thank you Diane 4145 for those prayers. I think we in BR about over the bad part now but my heart goes out to those in Lake Charles. They're being slammed.

Whew! I think I'm going to try and sleep now. And dream of those emerald waters. Thanks y'all.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
ellesu said:
Oh my goodness, thank you guys! :D You're a great bunch. SoWal sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for. Why haven't I found it before now?? :dunno: I've been reading the 'Top Ten Things to do in SoWal' (can't sleep with the storm howling outside) :sosad: and I can see myself with that cup of Community Coffee watching the sun rise--or will I walk the beach with a steaming coffee mug as the sun rises? ....Such lovely choices! And the sunsets I read about. :clap_1: I think I'll enjoy those with something more grownup. Maybe one my favorite *girly* drinks, as my husband calls them. :lol:

I'm getting hungry just reading about all the restaurants. I'm leaning toward cooking, freezing, and bringing Thanksgiving dinner down with me. But..I'm already planning all those other meals we'll have to eat. I hope Russ is working when we go to the Old Florida Fish House and Bar. I'll tell him his mom sent us. :D And thank you Diane 4145 for those prayers. I think we in BR about over the bad part now but my heart goes out to those in Lake Charles. They're being slammed.

Whew! I think I'm going to try and sleep now. And dream of those emerald waters. Thanks y'all.

ellesu...you sound like our kind of girl!!! Welcome aboard! We love Thanksgiving in SoWal...we have eaten out the two times we have been there. Criolla's and Fish Out of Water...both good, but NO leftovers!! Alas, our son (college soph) prefers to come home to Dallas so far, so we will not be down this year. Keep posting and join the fun! I just turned on the TV and I am thankful evacuations went well this time...looks like Lake Charles area and SE TX took a bad hit...so sorry for your great state. Chin up...your neighbors in TX will help out and I'm sending prayers your way!! Sweet dreams!

Our GA Tech daughter always prefers being at the beach for Thanksgiving. She and her Tech graduate boyfriend have even decided that they want to stay at the beach instead of going to the Tech/GA game that weekend, and we all have tickets.

However, we do prefer being at home on Christmas. We undecorate on the day after Christmas and then drive down to the beach for New Year's. That's a fun time at the beach, too, as I've said on another post.

Ellesu - I get it - LSU. Cute. Guess I should change my name to Youeff. LOL.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Then I'll be Youefftoo(fartampa) :D

Welcome to the board ellesue! I agree with everything posted here. You will love it. Also, wanted to clarify that Publix does do complete Thanksgiving dinners. They do a nice job with just about everything, so I imagine Thanksgiving would be not much different. With two little kids, I'm an orderin' and not a cookin' kind of gal at this point in my life. If we spend T-day up there, which we might, I'm probably going the Publix route.

Hope things are calmer this morning. Looks like they are, based on looking at the news.

You will love SoWal. Everybody who goes there wants to go back. :welcome: