• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ThatPersianGirl

Beach Comber
So we live off of Bay Drive, on one of the canals, and a couple of weeks ago I was taking the dogs out in the late night. I always have to use a flashlight because it is so dark back there (why we love it). Anyway... I heard an unusual amount of splashing in the canal. And I don't mean 'frogs jumping in the water and swimming off water,' we're talking serious swimming.
Over the next few nights, as I stood attentive, the beam of my flashlight would fall on two large and, relatively set apart, red eyes. :yikes:
Low and behold there is an alligator!
I wasn't going to do anything, but after some thinking I asked Scott if we should call about it... I mean we are in a pretty populated nook with lots of kids and let's face it... it's 'dogs run free' central. So... I called and they had a catcher contact me. He was the kindest southern gentleman, and his name was... are you ready?... Tiger. (I love it!)
Tiger came out about a week later... because, evidently, he stays incredibly busy lately with all the gators out here... to scope the area.
Being from TN, I have no concept of how you judge the size of an alligator. I mean, I know cows, but not gators! I told him all I saw and he thought it was pretty big.
I got a call from Tiger about 10pm last night letting me know that late Friday night, he caught not one, but two 6 feet alligators in our canal!
I was blown away. Evidently he finds 10 footers back in the bay, near the river, all the time!

So exciting for a Tennessee girl...
Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.

Just thought I would share.

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
So what happened to them? Alligator belts and shoes or a move to a new home where they can live in peace?:dunno:

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
As a rule, in Florida, any Gator removed is not relocated but eliminated. The main reason, so I'm told, is that there are too many and relocation just continues the problems....

bummer...:blush:

grace

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2007
here & now
As a rule, in Florida, any Gator removed is not relocated but eliminated. The main reason, so I'm told, is that there are too many and relocation just continues the problems....

bummer...:blush:
I think they were relocated into a pair of fancy cowboy boots.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
I think they were relocated into a pair of fancy cowboy boots.

To go with that fine "copperhead" hat band.....;-)

ThatPersianGirl

Beach Comber
I asked Tiger and he said that he had them in a pin and the routine was that they tried to get them into a farm. If the farms had available room they would take them, if not... they were sent to a processor (aka boots, etc.) Apparently he has them for a few days or something... waiting to hear back from all farms, etc.

Poor buddies... let's hope that someone calls.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
If the next thread is "Gators Need a Good Home!" I'm calling the funny farm to have you all picked up...

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I asked Tiger and he said that he had them in a pin and the routine was that they tried to get them into a farm. If the farms had available room they would take them, if not... they were sent to a processor (aka boots, etc.) Apparently he has them for a few days or something... waiting to hear back from all farms, etc.

Poor buddies... let's hope that someone calls.

Where's BlueFox? :D