• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

nancy jean

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Marietta, GA
kathydwells said:
On the subject a little. I live in a very small community that is 4 miles from Huntsville, Alabama. We do not have any fast food places in our little town. However, 4 miles up the road there is every fast joint you can imagine. I walk a couple of miles everynight around my neighborhood. Each night I can tell you what the neighbors had for breakfast, lunch and dinner by the new bags on the side of the road. It drives me nuts!! It is like, hey don't you guys own garbage cans??? I can only imagine what the beaches would look like if the fast food establishments showed up on 30-A!!!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. A McDonalds opened nearby a few years ago......the distance must be about the amount of time it takes to eat a burger, fries, and drink a coke....and I immediately started picking up the litter in my neighborhood. Now we have a couple of other fast food places in the same area, so the trash is pretty bad. I've never seen anybody throw stuff out of the car, who's doing it?? :dunno:

I vote (if I get a vote) for NO fast food on 30-A!!

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
I have noticed something all Drive Thurs are on the North side of US98 We may have something to go on here. If the people of SoWal fight to keep all drive thurs north of us98 or on the noth side of 98. We just might win. Take action now, before they come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Dabell said:
I have noticed something all Drive Thurs are on the North side of US98 We may have something to go on here. If the people of SoWal fight to keep all drive thurs north of us98 or on the noth side of 98. We just might win. Take action now, before they come.

:bang::bang::bang:
What difference will it really make whether it they build on 30-A or 98? The problems are the same, and we will be looking at the symptoms on a daily basis. Think bigger picture.

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
Smiling JOe said:
:bang::bang::bang:
What difference will it really make whether it they build on 30-A or 98? The problems are the same, and we will be looking at the symptoms on a daily basis. Think bigger picture.

Well Joe, Walton County already has drive thurs on the north side of 98. The difference of having a drive threw on 30-A is a big one! It's right in the middle of homes, Now on 98- most people rather go to the beaches in Destin And I do not think 30-a is zoned for it away. However, 30-A as of right now, Has No drive thurs. This is what I was saying.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think y'all are onto something....NO FAST FOOD ALLOWED IN SOWAL! SJ and his selected posse can man all entrances with dogs who can then sniff out the criminals! Dogs would be heavily rewarded...but not with contents of those bags! Every SoWaler would have to volunteer part of their time when in the area. Think Truman and Seahaven!

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
An acquantance met recently with the county planner regarding the new Subway. There are currently no restrictions on fast food along 30-A. However, there are restrictions against drive-thru windows. This, combined with high land costs, seasonal revenue fluctuations, and scarce workforce at this level, will likely keep Mickie Dee's and others out.

Personally, I would rather not have restaurant chains in SoWal. Thankfully we don't yet look like every other place in America. Look at most cities and places, especially along the Interstate highways; they all really look the same with Wendy's, etc. all lined up.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Dabell said:
Well Joe, Walton County already has drive thurs on the north side of 98. The difference of having a drive threw on 30-A is a big one! It's right in the middle of homes, Now on 98- most people rather go to the beaches in Destin And I do not think 30-a is zoned for it away. However, 30-A as of right now, Has No drive thurs. This is what I was saying.

Guess again. 30-A does have a drive thru window attached to a restaurant, right in the heart of Blue Mtn Beach. The restaurant even advertises the drive thru on roadside signs.

Doesn't really matter, drive thru or take out, it is the same as far as the effects go.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Just to chime in and agree with those who say "no chains/fast food/Walmart-type places" on 30-A. We come literally more than a thousand miles to avoid this sort of thing--Publix is one thing (and I've always felt guilty that I was endangering Modica's)--but chain/fast food type places would ruin Sowal. I live about an hour and a half south of Lake George in upstate NY--and this famous, and now former posh, lovely place is ruined by the likes of chains and other unregulated fast food and other places. The whole state of Vermont (near me) legislated to avoid ruining their tourist industry with the likes of Walmart (which eventually did build in Vermont--but not in the unregulated, strip mall-type environment usually associated with Walmart.) One of the worst places I've ever gone was in Missouri (we used to live in St. Louis)--"Lake of the Ozarks" was overrun with chains and Walmarts.
SOWAL is so special because it has the human scale of locally-owned stores where people actually smile and thank you for your business. We love the beach, but the whole environment is what makes it truly special and worth the airfare, car rental and the hassle. We come every year for a dose of "niceness" and the beach too.

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
SJ,
Based on that guy's signs in front of his restaurant, I would guess that he didn't bother to see if his new drive-thru window met zoning regs either.