• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Until today, I have thought that Hunt's was the best place to get Oysters, this side of Indian Pass. Oh my God! Have I a new place for you to try. I ate a few dozen raw at Hunt's on Tuesday and they were good as usual, though a little smaller in size than what I've grown accustomed to at Hunt's, which are typically, very large. Today, I tried a new place, hidden in the depths of Panama City, and it was fantastic. Good size oysters, not huge, but medium sized, salty as all get out, shucked faster than I could eat them, in an atmosphere that is like no other you will find around here. The little Oyster Bar has doubled in size over the years, according to Miss Ann (aka - Miss Gene), who has been operating Gene's Oyster Bar at 302 Sherman Ave since 1968. Miss Anne shucked our oysters today. This lady knows what's happening. She is quiet, but just ask her a question and she starts talking. That store has been operating as an oyster bar since 1927, and Gene and Miss Ann are the third or forth owners. Earlier, I mentioned that Gene's Oyster Bar has doubled in size over the years. Originally, they had only six stools at one bar. According to Miss Ann, when microwaves were invented, they could bake the oysters faster, and needed more seats, so they knocked down a wall to the storage room, added another counter, making an L shaped oyster bar, and they added five more stools to give a total of 11 seats in the restaurant. Gene just got out of the hospital and today was his first day back shucking. It is a husband and wife operation, with a couple of guys in the back. Recently, they added a fryer in the kitchen and now they make fried seafood baskets. You can get Mullet, Oysters, or a couple other fish. However, Gene's is an oyster bar. Today, I tried their baked oysters, fried oysters, and raw. The fried were good, but a little too much salt in the flour batter. I like a little cornmeal in my batter, too, so while they were good, they weren't my preference. Although there was plenty in there - probably about 12-15, plus a load of tasty fries. The Raw oysters were the best I've eaten in a long time! The baked oysters? Absolutely delicious! My brother went to the hospital several years ago, after eating bad raw oysters at Harry Bissett's in Athens GA. His buddy went with him. My brother stayed in the hospital for only 2 days, but his buddy remained there for more than a week, due to eating bad oysters. Needless to say, my brother no longer eats them raw. He now gets them baked or steamed. Me, I love the coldness of the raw oysters. They are hard to beat, but I must say that these Baked Oysters were probably the best I've ever eaten. Surely, it had nothing to do with the butter. When I go back to Gene's it will be difficult not to get the raw oysters, but I am definitely getting at least a dz baked. What a great little place, and I do mean little.

FYI - They don't serve beer at Gene's, so go grab one of those ice-cold 8oz bottles of Coke out of the cooler. Also note, cash or check only. The sign on the door noted that they would be closed for a week or so around Labor Day. Call ahead to make sure they will be open when you make the trip. 850-785-1232.

Directions:
Gene's Oyster Bar
302 Sherman Ave

From downtown Panama City, proceed east on 6th Ave. Once you pass the large Bayou on your right (south), start looking for Sherman Ave. Turn right (south) on Sherman Ave. Gene's will be on the left (east) side of the street at the corner of 3rd St and Sherman Ave.

It is a hole in the wall, but well worth the drive. It is a little pricier than Hunt's, and I think a dz raw were $5.45. Go get yourself some!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Wow great review SJ. I can't wait to try this place out!! I love me some oysters!!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
This man LOVES his oysters. :D

Ocean breeze

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2007
PC & Inlet Beach
Call me when you go. I'm a pretty good navigator. ;-)

Yes, but by "6th Ave," you meant "6th Street"!

You've made me wonderfully hungry... But I like 'em raw in cold weather, as in the old tradition (when the bacteria count is low). I'm a seafood-vegetarian, & I'm glad that includes oysters!

Let Gene's know of your sharing... You might have earned yourself a free dozen!

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com

You've made me wonderfully hungry... But I like 'em raw in cold weather, as in the old tradition (when the bacteria count is low). I'm a seafood-vegetarian, & I'm glad that includes oysters!

Let Gene's know of your sharing... You might have earned yourself a free dozen!

i tend to agree with Ocean breeze and i love oysters...but...SJ...i know you are pretty much invincible:D ...but you don't worry about eating them raw in the summer?!?:dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Thanks for the correction. Yes, that is 6th Street. But don't get confused when you cross Watson Bayou and it turns into 5th Street.

Redfisher, I don't know the answer, but I would guess that they are subject to that which is delivered, but operating for 39 years, I'd guess that they have a little say in the matter.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
i tend to agree with Ocean breeze and i love oysters...but...SJ...i know you are pretty much invincible:D ...but you don't worry about eating them raw in the summer?!?:dunno:

I am very particular about the establishments where I eat oysters, and have found that works better for me than using the calendar of R months. If you see me eating raw oysters somewhere, you better believe that I've heard ONLY great things about their Raw oysters and their handling practices. I am very selective. BTW, I am far from being invincible. I've had severe food poisoning about 5 times and the least amount of time it lasted for 4 days. Knock on wood, it has never been from eating raw oysters.

Last edited: