• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

teocalli

Beach Crab
Jan 19, 2007
Shelly,

I'm thinking that it would be a home away from home, a place used so frequently by either myself or other family members that it'd essentially be occupied as a primary residence for much of the year.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
For instance, since I already have my lot I intend to be my own general contractor and build for cash..no rigid time line. I will contract out the major parts and do as much myself..ie painting, electrical fixtures, tiling and some plumbing.
I shall wait 1 or 2 more years.......

But paying cash means you can't have it today! Perish the thought! :D

I like the way you think. :clap: Lets form a co-op and have a good ol' fashioned SoWal barn raising

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Shelly,

I'm thinking that it would be a home away from home, a place used so frequently by either myself or other family members that it'd essentially be occupied as a primary residence for much of the year.

A primary residence in spirit is one thing. A legal primary residence is another matter with its own set of legal. tax. and financial implications, for good or ill.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Shelly,

I've heard that many times before....how far is the commute?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I highly suggest building a home if you will be using it that frequently. If you wanted it mainly as a several week/month vacation home that produces rental income the rest of the year, there are a ton of nice homes for sale, but since you will be spending so much time there it is "practically" a primary residence, you will probably want different features than are typical in the homes being built to accommodate vacationers.

I am wary of older construction because of potential mold issues and the fact that newer building requirements such as impact windows and doors will help you get lower insurance rates, but newer isn't necessarily better as the construction quality can vary greatly.

Please don't try to do your own electrical work and plumbing as suggested above if you decide to build! That has disaster written all over it!

Last edited:

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Please don't try to do your own electrical work and plumbing as suggested above if you decide to build! That has disaster written all over it!

Mr Bug,
Please don't assume everybody but yourself is a dumbass...I think there are levels of competence...you know what yours is, I'm sure.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
What's a reasonable cost/sq.ft. now versus a year ago...Has anyone built recently enough to quote accurately?...

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Mr Bug,
Please don't assume everybody but yourself is a dumbass...I think there are levels of competence...you know what yours is, I'm sure.

:eek: