• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
When someone asks for a "reasonable" per square foot building cost, I feel like my answer was at least as good as their question. I dont know what reasonable is, so yes, infinity might even be a better answer.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
When someone asks for a "reasonable" per square foot building cost, I feel like my answer was at least as good as their question. I dont know what reasonable is, so yes, infinity might even be a better answer.
I think your first answer was better than infinity because infinity doesn't have a minimum, since it would also include negative infinity. At the lowest end of the lows, $100sf may be possible, but not for construction type found in Rosemary and Alys Beach. You are right, reasonable for one person may be outrageous for another.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Mr Bug,
Please don't assume everybody but yourself is a dumbass...I think there are levels of competence...you know what yours is, I'm sure.

I wasn't assuming that, just cautioning against the easiest, most problematic and expensive ways to screw up a house by trying to save a couple dollars. Unless you are a professional electrician or plumber, DIY in those areas is a definite no-no!

Journey - construction costs in the communities you mentioned start in the mid $200 sqr ft range and go up based on construction type etc.

Last edited:

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Scooter, I agree with you. Houses now are pretty high tech with 4 or 5 bathrooms, I dont know of anybody who is an expert in both plumbing and electrical, although such a person might exist. Just the slightest little screw up could be fatal.

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
Houses now are pretty high tech with 4 or 5 bathrooms
:dunno:..darn it! I must be low tech, I just have 2 bathrooms....
Understandable tho'..I mean I know it was customary around the south to use "outhouses"..so I suppose 4 or 5 in house WC's, for you must be high tech in comparison, let alone high brow!!;-)

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
I didn't realize that when I asked the question, people would try to dazzle with word parsing and no answers...If you haven't built recently, there is no need to comment...If you have, I'd just like to know where you built and your approx. cost/sq...Red

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
$250 a square foot is a good ballpark for a 2-3 story wood frame house in most of the Sowal communities. Concrete or ICF can be up to $200 more a square foot depending on the design.

It's hard to be specific because it varies so much depending on your exterior and interior finishes, if you have a pool or elevator, your appliance, electrical and plumbing fixture selections etc.