• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
wow 250 psf and another 200 for blocks thats 450 psf......

for 450 psf I will can build you a taj mahal.....

nuff said.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Red, the post by scooter above displays the point I was making, with only one option the price psf nearly doubles. The price varies greatly re options; lot, plans, specs, my smartass answer was only 50% out of line....sorry.

Silver, I am also sorry about your being a low-tech guy, theres a lot of us people in here from the south who would like to hear details of what sounds like you are saying southern folk have evolved from an outhouse to 5 bathrooms now think thats high tech? My post simply meant that houses built on a normal lot around here have to be high tech simply to support the high dollar lot cost, thats all. Building your own house is like doing your own brain surgery, I am a builder (not soliciting your business because I am presently doing surgery on my brain) but would be glad to help you if you get in a jam.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Here is my take and it makes no assumptions about the current market conditions or whether now is a good time to buy or build - it only addresses question of whether one should build their dream house: IMHO, no-one should undertake the building of their house from scratch UNLESS they can do the following:

1) First: you should be engaged by and excited about the design and construction process - if you are not you will be in for a tough time. Some people love this and others abhor it - recognize which type you are.

2) Hire a GOOD architect that will listen to their clients and serve them well from the design process THROUGH construction. Make sure he/she is resourceful (again a good architect can be judicious with expensive materials and can take advantage of good resources/leads they have in their field by also sourcing inexpensive but beautiful finishes)

3) Hire a GOOD contractor - I know it seems like I am stating the obvious but I am constantly stunned when I hear the typical horror stories and then ask the typical probing questions and in less than 1 minute get to the AHA moment (meaning thorough research or checking our references or not paying the slightly higher commission could have predicted disaster).

4) Make sure that some-one (architect, GC or construction manager) will be supervising your construction schedule - and unless you have a lot of time to devote to this yourself do not try it alone thinking you will save some $$ (again unless you are armed with infinite patience and time - because it WILL take you 2-3 times as long to get the same task accomplished).

Good luck!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Concrete isn't always that much more expensive, but it can be depending on the design, which is why I was giving a range. Don't think it's always $200 more a square foot, but do be aware that it typical adds 7-10% to the total cost of the house.

Scoff at the prices if you want, but they've come DOWN as the market has slowed. Many new homeowners would have loved to have only paid $250!

I echo Chickpea that saving in the short term can cost a lot in the long term. One notoriously stingy family friend was annoyed at my lack of sympathy when he had expensive repairs and water damage after he built his lakefront home using a draftsperson who was still training at the local tech school and plywood he "rescued" from the stage sets of the U-2 Popmart tour. Go figure that complications ensued!

Last edited:

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
A friend of mine just bought a lot in cassine village which is 30 ft above sea level and is building.

He is building a house over and above the current code with high impact windows and doors. I believe he told me he is only paying about $165 a sq ft. greg Goodwin is his builder.

He is building a new house so he can get the insurance discounts. There are a couple of nice new houses in cassine for sale built to the new code also.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What is the Cassine house's construction type? $165 is impressive for Sowal high end construction w/ impact windows and doors.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Wow, thats a great price and I think Greg is a good builder. Dont know how he does it for that, would be interested in more details. Just recently I got a quote on those windows you mentioned and the windows alone uninstalled was over 30k. Is there some undisclosed info here?

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Scooter, thats the funniest thing I ever heard about the guy using used plywood and cheap plans. I think that inflation is definitely on the rise, I also think the dollar is almost worthless and I also think that some hard assets like real estate is a good hedge against inflation and the worthless dollar; albeit market doldrums. This is a great time to find a bargain and buy; building costs are still high (impact windows) but its the only way to get exactly what you want. Its cheaper to find a deal than to build tho. Course I would spend big bucks re-building it like I wanted it so there you go.

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Please consider the following facts in your analysis of buy or build:

1- commodity prices have risen 12% in the last 3 MONTHS.

2-oil is over $80 per barrel

3-agricultural products prices (bread, milk,etc.) are rising dramatically

4-the US dollar is worth less every day and is dropping faster than believed

5-the fed is expected to drop rates Tuesday, creating more cons. demand

IN VIEW OF THE ABOVE FACTS YOU SHOULD BUY ASAP. BUILDING COSTS ARE GOING TO EXPLODE. BUYING NOW IS THE BEST CHOICE NOT BUILDING.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Concrete isn't always that much more expensive, but it can be depending on the design, which is why I was giving a range. Don't think it's always $200 more a square foot, but do be aware that it typical adds 7-10% to the total cost of the house.

Scoff at the prices if you want, but they've come DOWN as the market has slowed. Many new homeowners would have loved to have only paid $250!

I echo Chickpea that saving in the short term can cost a lot in the long term. One notoriously stingy family friend was annoyed at my lack of sympathy when he had expensive repairs and water damage after he built his lakefront home using a draftsperson who was still training at the local tech school and plywood he "rescued" from the stage sets of the U-2 Popmart tour. Go figure that complications ensued!

Well, even though it didn't work out, wow! What a story!!:clap: