• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
We're coming down next weekend with another family and for one of the dinners out with kids we were thinking of going to either the Red Bar or the Blue Bar. We call Cafe 331 the Blue Bar because it's owned by the same people, has pretty much the same menu and well ... it's blue.

My wife likes the Blue Bar because:
It has a better view of the sunset
It's less crowed
And has a swell out door bar

I like the Red Bar because;
It's closer
Has a better band
A cozier atmosphere

We both think the food is pretty much equal. Given that our guests have never been to either where would y'all go?

Thanks so much,

Shutters

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am with you - prefer the Red Bar because of atmosphere & the band. However, I have never sat outdoors at the Blue Bar. The wait at the Red Bar can be painful but once you place your order it seems like the food arrives very fast. Are you guests patient enough to endure the wait at the Red Bar? Will your stay there be long enough to fit a visit in to both places?

Like always, I wish we could stay longer but this will just be a long weekend (4 day) trip. Right now the dining line up is:

With Kids,
Red Bar or Blue Bar
Shades (if they've haven't closed the old one) or Angelina's

Without kids;
Basmati's
Onano, or Borago, or Fish OOW.

So many good restuarants, too few nights.

:dunno: What about the Green Bar :D

IMG_0040.JPG

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
When we have kids with us we go to the Blue Bar. The kids can explore around the bay and play tag outside. Lots of room for them. If you eat outside on the upstairs deck you can keep an eye on the kids and the kids don't have to disturb the people inside. Ollie and crew are always very tolerant of the kids coming in and out of the restaurant, but we try to eat outside when we can. Great view too!

Sheila

SoWal Insider
Shutters said:
We're coming down next weekend with another family and for one of the dinners out with kids we were thinking of going to either the Red Bar or the Blue Bar. We call Cafe 331 the Blue Bar because it's owned by the same people, has pretty much the same menu and well ... it's blue.

My wife likes the Blue Bar because:
It has a better view of the sunset
It's less crowed
And has a swell out door bar

I like the Red Bar because;
It's closer
Has a better band
A cozier atmosphere

We both think the food is pretty much equal. Given that our guests have never been to either where would y'all go?

Thanks so much,

Shutters

Though choice. However, crab cakes are avialable on evry night the Red Bar doesn't serve them. The deck at 331 is awesome! The Red Bar is aswesome as well.:clap_1:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To me, it comes down to crabcakes. Red Bar has them on the weekend, 331 has them on weekdays. So normally, I follow the crabcakes :cool:

But I will admit I like the atmosphere at 331 better. More laid-back. Almost no one utilizes the bottom bar there. I love to sit on the bottom deck and stare out at the bay while enjoying a few cocktails. Plus, they have sushi (or at least they did the last time I was there).

CastlesOfSand

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Yummy crab cakes!! I had them last night at Red Bar. And those potatos!!!! Excellent! :cool: Very nice Pinot as well.