• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
30 minutes after getting an e-mail about the PC airport approval (1st step) I received one from Rivercamp with their next release. Once again, with an l increase in prices. Is it the opinion of most that this new airport will help overall real estate prices?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Airport approval? Wha? Did I miss some big news? Do tell.

Personally I think the market is going to do continue to do some stabilizing/correcting over the next 18 months or so. I don't see a turnaround by the spring. I think it may take another year after that -- just a gut feeling given the fact that the investors are gone (Poof!) and those who still want to buy are realizing that appreciation may not be enough to justify shelling out the monthly carrying costs. Rental incomes don't come close to covering mortgage payments.

For those who hang on, I believe the airport has the potential to make this a world-class area, with real estate prices that approach it. Witness the developments being approved for areas along 98 -- that's something I couldn't even imagine two years ago, but I guess it's coming.

Of course we need services and more infrastructure, and there will be growing pains. And a lot of people may not like what happens to 30-A. But I definitely dream of the day I can take Southwest from Tampa to the new airport and spend a long weekend at the house we plan to (eventually) build on our lot in Seagrove. I'm hoping we can get there in 5 years or so. The airport is supposed to open in 2009, right?

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
TooFarTampa said:
Airport approval? Wha? Did I miss some big news? Do tell.

Personally I think the market is going to do continue to do some stabilizing/correcting over the next 18 months or so. I don't see a turnaround by the spring. I think it may take another year after that -- just a gut feeling given the fact that the investors are gone (Poof!) and those who still want to buy are realizing that appreciation may not be enough to justify shelling out the monthly carrying costs. Rental incomes don't come close to covering mortgage payments.

For those who hang on, I believe the airport has the potential to make this a world-class area, with real estate prices that approach it. Witness the developments being approved for areas along 98 -- that's something I couldn't even imagine two years ago, but I guess it's coming.

Of course we need services and more infrastructure, and there will be growing pains. And a lot of people may not like what happens to 30-A. But I definitely dream of the day I can take Southwest from Tampa to the new airport and spend a long weekend at the house we plan to (eventually) build on our lot in Seagrove. I'm hoping we can get there in 5 years or so. The airport is supposed to open in 2009, right?
I agree with all of this. The land around the new airport will be worth much more than before. Ten years ago several possible sites were mentioned for new Chicago airports. The cornfields under consideration became amazingly valuable, as did the land along the highways nearby.

Anytime you make it easier and cheaper for people to visit, it has to help. Surely Southwest will play a part in the Panama City Beach airport. There's a huge gap in their coverage in our region.

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
OnMackBayou said:
I agree with all of this. The land around the new airport will be worth much more than before. Ten years ago several possible sites were mentioned for new Chicago airports. The cornfields under consideration became amazingly valuable, as did the land along the highways nearby.

Anytime you make it easier and cheaper for people to visit, it has to help. Surely Southwest will play a part in the Panama City Beach airport. There's a huge gap in their coverage in our region.

When I do come down, I fly from JFK 0t LGA to PNS Delta has NON stop flights and I could buy a RT ticket for about $200.
Now when I fly fron LGA or JFK to VPS it's always a 1 stop change palnes in GA and it about $100 more than flights into PNS.