• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I think Lark is someone who contacted me regarding our places at Cottages At Camp Creek and I suggested they post on sowal.com to learn more. We don't have wireless at our places yet and they need it for this winter (and we have winter renters already for some of the time they wanted), so let's see if we can help them out with the advice and potential places to rent this winter, If it's the people I spoke with by email today, they seem very nice and I know we have some SoWallers who may have places available. I wish one of our places had worked out for them.

Lark

Beach Crab
Oct 16, 2007
Yes, Paula I did email with you earlier today. Thank you so much for your help.

The 2 month Jan/Feb rental I am looking for is for 2 adults-husband and myself, so condo or small carriage house/cottage is all we need. He will be on a study sabbatical from his ministry position hence the need for internet ( and a desk would be great!) Although we have never been to the South Wlaton area before, it sounds like a quiet, relaxing place.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Lark: I thought it was you! If it's your first trip to SoWal, you'll love it. Among a lot of other wonderful things to do and people to meet, it's an ideal place to write (I also write -- well, I should be writing -- and my goal as been to spend more time over the years in SoWal and ideally do more writing). You can write on the porch, at coffee shops, at restaurants, outside the restaurants, at the pool, at the beach...

The winter is off-season in SoWal so you have this wonderful area at the most peaceful time of year. And the ocean and sunsets are always here regardless of the season. We often find ourselves to be the only ones at the beach at sunset when we're here off season. Check the restaurant/food thread for information about where to eat. Though SoWal is a small community and we've been connected to the area through our cottages (and now friends) since 2002, I haven't seen/done most of what's available on 30A because we spend most of our time on the porch, at the pool, on the beach, and going to our favorite places with friends. Here's an article from the Ann Arbor News earlier this month about SoWal/30A.

Explore the pleasures of the Panhandle
Sunday, October 07, 2007
By Andrea Tamboer
SANDESTIN, Fla. -- Northwest Florida is fast becoming a favorite destination among Midwesterners -- and for good reason. The climate is gentler than the middle to southern edges of the Sunshine State. Winter and spring temperatures generally hover in the mid-70s rather than high 80s, allowing our winter-weary selves to get acclimated to the warmth. For many who drive rather than fly, the chance to avoid the nightmare that is Atlanta-area traffic is a relief. And the Panhandle's emphasis on quieter beaches, nature preserves and less high-rise development makes it feel a bit more like Michigan, where natural shoreline environs are protected and revered.
Tucked into the Panhandle are the Beaches of South Walton, an enclave of 14 eclectic beach communities, 17 fresh and saltwater lakes, five state parks and 26 miles of coastline along the Gulf of Mexico. The region remains a breath of fresh air away from the crowds of Orlando's Disney or Miami's South Beach. Beaches here are stunningly beautiful, with emerald-green water and white-sand shores. Like areas of Michigan, your legs give out long before your swath of walkable shoreline. A trip last spring uncovered a wealth of must-see treasures for anyone visiting the area:

Beach communities. With names like Seaside, WaterColor, Sandestin, WaterSound and Seascape, these beach towns have been developed in such a way as to be charming and contemporary. They're clean, bright and inviting, luring one to linger over ocean-front dining or to dreamily browse upscale shops. Picture a saltwater version of Harbor Springs.
Our family took a leisurely driving tour from Sandestin to Seaside, stopping at several inviting public beachfront pavilions to enjoy the views. One town boasts neat rows of clapboard beach houses, the next, pastel-colored townhouses. Each is pretty and well-kept. Seaside was a favorite, with its inviting grassy town square -- where residents and tourists mingled -- ringed by art galleries and retail shops. Don't miss dinner at the award-winning Seaside's Bud and Alley's, a little hideaway beachside restaurant that makes succulent seafood and other regional fare with a menu that changes daily. There's fine dining downstairs and the lively Tarpon Club upstairs with views of the water.

Nature preserves : About 25,000 acres -- 40 percent of the total acreage that makes up Beaches of South Walton -- are state-owned and protected from future development. To the north lies the Choctawhatchee Bay, which connects to the Gulf. Dune lakes and rivers throughout allow the flow of salt and fresh water, creating some of the most diverse ecosystems in the world.

Grayton Beach State Recreation Area is 1,133 acres of coastal vegetation with extensive nature trails, including sand dunes, a coastal dune lake, marsh areas and miles of beach. Topsail Hill State Preserve, 1,640 acres considered one of the most pristine and protected pieces of coastal properties in Florida, has views of the Gulf, 3.2 miles of secluded beaches and rare coastal dune lakes.

Eden State Gardens, once the site of a bustling, turn-of-the-century lumber mill, is in Point Washington. The centerpiece is the Wesley Mansion, a Greek Revival-style home filled with antiques and surrounded by elaborate gardens and gigantic Spanish moss-draped oaks. The parlor boasts one of the largest collections of Louis XVI Court furniture in the nation. Guided tours are offered Thursdays-Mondays.

Also in the vicinity is Point Washington State Forest, a 15,810-acre state forest noted for its biking/hiking trails, weaving through sandhills, coastal sand pine scrub, cypress ponds, wet prairies and Ti-Ti swamps.

Destin and Fort Walton Beach: These cities on the caffeinated side of the Panhandle offer non-stop activity along miles of beachfront. Unlike the quieter Beaches of South Walton communities, these locales are abuzz with activity and chockfull of nightlife venues, shopping malls, huge beachwear stores and rows upon rows of hotels and condominiums. Stop off at the Crab Shack, a beachside eatery that lends itself to playing in the sand while waiting for your table. Let the kids run off a little steam before your order arrives. On clear nights, starry skies twinkle above the open-air porch, where you can look out at foaming whitecaps rolling in just yards from your table.
For something livelier -- and well worth the $17 adult ticket price -- check out the dolphin cruises aboard Capt. Larry's 73-foot Sea Blaster speedboat. This boat isn't like anything tooling around on Lake Michigan. With the Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen blaring from its high-quality sound system, the vessel's twin 400hp engines propel up to 125 passengers through the intracoastal waterway and out onto the open ocean. While first mates pour rounds of beer, wine and soda, Capt. Larry regales passengers with tales of the oceanfront properties whizzing by and lets children take the helm, all while on the lookout for Atlantic bottlenose dolphins.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
What is your range for rent?