• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
I was in the eighth grade when Opal hit. I knew many people who had to file a number of insurance claims after this storm. 1 for damage to vacation homes, 2 for damage to primary residences, as Hurricane Opal caused extensive inland wind damage in northern GA, and in some cases 3 for damage to vehicles. It roared through the Atlanta area at about 11pm with howling winds, I have never experienced anything like this before. Schools were closed all over the area the following day, and many places were without electricity for nearly a week, this far inland. Share your Opal stories...

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I was in school at Auburn when Opal hit. We were having a hurricane party and as the night went on, we realized that the storm wasn't playing around. We had 3 sliding glass doors across the back wall of our den and they were bowing in from the wind. During the eye of Opal, a guy who was with us decided to take a walk down the street and the next thing we heard was the paramedics knocking on the door. A huge oak had fallen on his head and busted it wide open. So off to the ER we go.

At another point in the evening, there was loud banging on the front door and when we opened it, there was a naked dude running around in the street screaming. Gotta love college towns..

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
We have a Louisiana plantation-styled house with functional hurricane shutters. The architect was a purist, even though the house is in GA. (Ironically we don't have hurricane shutters at our beach house.) Anyhow, those shutters did help. We wered so scared during the hurricane - it sounded like a freight train going through. You could hear big booms from large pine trees falling. We ended up having 40 trees down, one which came within an inch or so of hitting the house and doing major damage. Thank goodness my husband is a do-it-yourselfer and had a chain saw so he could clear debris, allowing us to drive down our driveway.

We lost power due to a problem with a secondary line which could only be accessed from our neighbor's yard because of all of our downed trees. Our neighbor wouldn't allow the utility workers to access the line because she was afraid they'd damage her sod. She got her power back within 24 hours; thanks to her, we were without power for a week.

We rented a room at a local motel for a week so we could take warm showers (we have an electric hot water heater) and so I could use a hairdryer. Most restaurants had power after about 24 hours, so we ate out or brought in takeout. We didn't spend any time at the motel; we preferred being home.

The only long-lasting effect (besides my anger towards our neighbor) was that from then on, our Weimaraner was deathly afraid of rain, storms, and lightning. Twice she injured herself during a thunderstorm trying to break down a door to get into the house. So we put an invisible fence at all of the entrances to prevent her from harming herself by breaking down a door - a lot of doors - 10 on the main facade (in the Louisiana style, doors instead of windows), plus five more entrances.

Who would have ever thought there would be a hurricane in the part of GA where we live!

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
I agree about the hurricane in Georgia. Remember how all of the local radio stations (STAR 94, 99X, 96 Rock) were off the air until the following week, because all of the trasmitter towers were damaged?

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
Yeah, I was in 8th grade too. I remember it was on a Wednesday...I think. We got out of school all week because it went straight throught Montgomery.

I remember standing at my front door (made of glass) looking out at the trees bending sideways and that was the only time my mother called me an idiot.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
wlaner said:
Yeah, I was in 8th grade too. I remember it was on a Wednesday...I think. We got out of school all week because it went straight throught Montgomery.

I remember standing at my front door (made of glass) looking out at the trees bending sideways and that was the only time my mother called me an idiot.

I find the latter hard to believe. :lolabove:

lollygal

Beach Fanatic
You were all just babys! My "baby" was 8 and my oldest 14 when Opal came roaring through town. I don't remember a lot of damage personally but there were a lot of falling trees and heavy rains. Now that I feel dated, I'm going to sign off, take my meds and go to bed! :rotfl:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We had been down a few weeks before, but my mother-in-law and sister-inlaw had booked one of the little houses on Cottage St. that's no longer there- can't remember the name, but I'm sure it was where one of the nice new houses is sitting now. Anyway, they obviously didn't make the trip since they had no house. I had recommended Grayton and they had never been. Maybe that's why they don't like me- they probably think I tried to get them killed! :evil:

:dunno:

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
lollygal said:
You were all just babys! My "baby" was 8 and my oldest 14 when Opal came roaring through town. I don't remember a lot of damage personally but there were a lot of falling trees and heavy rains. Now that I feel dated, I'm going to sign off, take my meds and go to bed! :rotfl:
My "baby" was 4 years old. We stayed at our Capistrano place the night before the storm hit. We were awakend by the sheriff driving down 30A with a loudspeaker saying "everyone out". The storm had strengthened dramatically over night. We bailed at dawn in the driving rain and evaced to friend's house in Dothan. Too bad, but Dothan was directly in the path of Opal later that night. Lots of trees down, gas line leaks, no power, etc. The old house stood solid. But it was a party....