• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mangy's financial tip of the day:
"Don't forget to take the quarter out of the shopping cart. Then use it to buy bubble gum." :wave:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've never found money in a shopping cart. BTW, doesn't gum cost around $1.06 a pack?
Mangy's financial tip of the day:
"Don't forget to take the quarter out of the shopping cart. Then use it to buy bubble gum." :wave:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I've never found money in a shopping cart. BTW, doesn't gum cost around $1.06 a pack?

Some grocery stores make you put a quarter in a slot to release the shopping carts. When you return it, you get your quarter back.
The bubble gums machines near the doors are a quarter for a big blob of gum. :D

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Some grocery stores make you put a quarter in a slot to release the shopping carts. When you return it, you get your quarter back.
The bubble gums machines near the doors are a quarter for a big blob of gum. :D

You are back in Yankee land, aren't you? :D :wave:

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
There is a real likelyhood that this 'credit crunch' in the US could turn into the real-deal crisis that many have been prediciting. In addition, it is a near certainty that the US$ will continue to depreciate.

Given those two assumptions, these are my recomendations for financial prudence:

1). In the event of a banking crisis, you will not be able to access you money in the bank for some period of time. Keep 4 to 8 weeks worth of expenses in cash in a waterproof/fireproof safe in your home.

2). Have $10K in physical gold for each person living in your household.

3). When people like Greenspan are saying that the US$ could depreciate by 50%, take note. Diversify your savings into a basket of foreign currencies (currency ETF traded like stocks make this easy). This may be the only way to keep your money's purchasing power.

And other more generic ideas:

- have a large vegetable garden in the summer, and can/freeze.
- plant fruit trees in your yard.
- become obsessed with turning out lights in rooms in your house that aren't in use
- try to wait longer in the spring without turning your air conditioner on by installing ceiling fans and table fans in each room.
- either walk or bicycle to run errands when you can, and always try and combine atleat two trips/tasks in one when you drive
- if you have young kids, start a program with other parents where you pass down hand-me-down clothes and toys rather than buying everything new
- become less dependent on premade food items (ie. cook from scratch)
- spend a weekend going to yard sales and thrift stores -- it takes alittle effort but you'll be amazed at what you find
- instead of dropping off your junk at Goodwill, have a yard sale
- get a library card and use it, rather than going to the bookstore (or video store)
- always buy Craftsmen tools and other things with lifetime warrenties (my mother just returned a broken rake and garden hose to Sears, and they replaced them for free because they were Craftsmen).

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Damn, BDC, your dire predictions make mine look like a skip down Sugerplum Lane.

10K in physical gold for each person in your house?

Kinda makes my suggestion of just donning Tinfoil hats seem a bit impuissant.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
At least for the real estate leveraged and over leveraged the falling dollar is hedged. Hopefully jobs stay okay. No need to post the most recent jobless claims..saw 'em.