• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton Sun letter to editor

Full metal beach

The Walton Sun had a most informative commentary on Sept. 17 entitled ?Walling in Walton County.?
It seems many beachfront property owners believe that building a seawall is the answer to all their problems with storms. May I remind them that Susan Lucas of Blue Mountain Beach had a seawall and lost her house to Dennis anyway. Neighboring houses without seawalls survived.
It is interesting to note that armoring structures must be built as close to the house or condo as practicable. However, it appears that seawalls are going in as far out on the beach as possible ? on the property line or in some cases, just past it.
When sand is then pushed against the seawall resulting in a long sloping dune and long flights with oversize decks are built for beach access, there will be little or no room left to walk on the beach at high tide.
This was the situation in Blue Mountain Beach prior to Arlene and this was without a long row of seawalls. After Arlene, humongous steps with oversized decks began to be immediately rebuilt (yes, without a permit from DEP or the county).
The general public should not be made to put up with the lack of beach access due to installation of seawalls and oversize beach steps and decks. Let?s hope DEP and Walton County keep an eye on this situation.

Martha Heller Santa Rosa Beach

sdavis

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
Dear SoWalSally,

Please delive this to Martha.

You seem to offer no option for lost "beach front" by the beach front owners other than maybe they should learn to repel down a cliff ... (no matter how they get back up). A smaller beach width is inevitable until our homes fall into the water. Until then, just walk a straight line - there will be plenty of dry sand to enjoy.

These homes produce the most "efficient" taxing units in the county. High property taxes, high local spending on goods and services, coupled with miniscule burden on the school, police, fire and other services afforded everyone. Walton County would have been ecstatic to have this revenue problem 20 years ago when Bud & Alley's was an oasis.

We are in a cycle. We do not expect to reclaim everything we used to have (50+ ft from today's level). But it is fair to say that we are at the point of having another few unprotected hurricanes come our way, and absent these walls the endagered species will no longer be just sea turtles.

Stephen C. Davis
Blue Mt Beach resident since 1959.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
sdavis said:
Dear SoWalSally,

You seem to offer no option for lost "beach front" by the beach front owners other than maybe they should learn to repel down a cliff ... (no matter how they get back up). A smaller beach width is inevitable until our homes fall into the water. Until then, just walk a straight line - there will be plenty of dry sand to enjoy.

These homes produce the most "efficient" taxing units in the county. High property taxes, high local spending on goods and services, coupled with miniscule burden on the school, police, fire and other services afforded everyone. Walton County would have been ecstatic to have this revenue problem 20 years ago when Bud & Alley's was an oasis.

We are in a cycle. We do not expect to reclaim everything we used to have (50+ ft from today's level). But it is fair to say that we are at the point of having another few unprotected hurricanes come our way, and absent these walls the endagered species will no longer be just sea turtles.

Stephen C. Davis
I feel your pain.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
I still think its a futile effort and you really ought to look at moving sooner than later when you have no choice, once your house becomes a submarine or is condemmed and the county charges you to demolish it. You get to keep all your cherished belongings, not to mention a whole lot of money, trying to uselessly hold back time. Just my own opinion, of course. You must always do what you feel is right for you.

sdavis

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
But then again, you would have a virtual Atlantis for all of your Turtle friends, and the county would lose all those taxes, and SoWal beaches would become the backwoods oasis it was 100 years ago ... probably the way you dream for it to be. Fat chance. The walls will just get bigger and stronger until it resembles Key West - little or no beaches - just a great view and pleasant sea breeze.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
turtles supposedly only return to where they were born (more or less) and can handle unexpected loss of habitat, so in a season or two the turtle question will resolve itself by natural movement of nesting sites

I guess I should become a seawall contractor and make millions!

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
What a depressing thought. I like Key West but the part of the charm of the area is the beaches.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
sdavis said:
Dear SoWalSally,

Stephen C. Davis
Better to sell than to stay stuck in '59. Walton County won't be depositing your profit, that is, if you are wise enough to leave. Look all around Florida now, and give me a list of names who have beaten the ocean.

sdavis

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
1959 was a great year, but since 1995, even after Opal, Ivan, and Dennis (some really big names) - property values have increased almost 1000%. I'd say the beach-fronts have handily beaten the ocean.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
sdavis said:
1959 was a great year, but since 1995, even after Opal, Ivan, and Dennis (some really big names) - property values have increased almost 1000%. I'd say the beach-fronts have handily beaten the ocean.
Yor are certainly right about values, because, were I oceanfront in BMB, I would cash out and run from a bad situation. In regards to changing shorelines, well, if your house is in the way of the ocean, a seawall is nothing more than a very temporary measure. 1959 was a great year, but things have changed. All the very stressed-out, angry oceanfront owners have one great card they may yet play: a very profitable exit strategy.