• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I arrived at 10:30 on Wednesday night headed to the beach walkover at Andalusia St in Seagrove. The beach is now VERY narrow, in some places 10 feet from the end of the walkovers. Yes, there is lots of seawall construction back filled with BROWN sand. I have two questions.

1.) I thought any seawall construction had to be temporary, 60 days only. The pile driver shown in Kurt's photo is pounding in 30 ft metal plates that are corragated and then are rivited to a second high layer. These do NOT seem temporary. The other type of seawall is wood poles pounded in with 1 by 10's screwed in and back filled with brown sand. I'm not sure how much of a waves energy either of these will deflect of absorb, especially the wood ones.

2.) Wouldn't this brown sand would be top filled or dressed with white sand and then sloped on the gulf side down, kind of like a man made dune?

No matter what, the pile driver has not been puonding the last two days. That's a very expensive peice of equipment to be sitting idle so I have to think there is some type of "stop work" order. I'm heading down to the beach here in a few minutes, I'll get some more photos.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Rules for seawalls and other measures - click here. Some seawalls are permitted to be permanent and some temporary. Temporary structures can be converted to permanent ones with additional permit approval, which must be requested within 60 days.

A vertical seawall of any solid material reflects 100% of a waves energy, until it fails. A less than vertical system (dune), absorbs energy and does not reflect 100%.

A vertical seawall that reflects 100% means that all of the returned energy will take more sand with it, enhancing erosion of the beachfront. There is also an issue of a vertical seawall causing added erosion to adjacent areas.

Seawalls will be covered with sand and vegetation planted in most if not all instances.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Smiling JOe said:
Is the act of shooting spitballs at a County Commissioner at a County Commissioner's Meeting considered an assault, legally speaking?

It would be considered battery--the act of unwanted or unwelcomed touching. Assault would come into play if it were a foreseen act, if you placed the commissioner in fear of being hit with a spit ball.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :funn: :funn: :funn:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
bsmart said:
It would be considered battery--the act of unwanted or unwelcomed touching. Assault would come into play if it were a foreseen act, if you placed the commissioner in fear of being hit with a spit ball.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :funn: :funn: :funn:

So the first spit ball would be battery, and the second one, of which he fears, would be assault and battery?

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Smiling JOe said:
So the first spit ball would be battery, and the second one, of which he fears, would be assault and battery?

Yes, both assault and battery, after the second spit ball.

toebiter

Beach Crab
Oct 7, 2005
Thank you , it is my dog's nickname. So who are throwing spitballs at? Sounds like fun, messy, but fun.

Smiling JOe said:
jb-boat3.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about
army.gif
apc.gif

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Maybe at the next meeting we could get the

._________________
/._....................._ \_
||_| GANGSTA VAN |_||_\__
|..........................__....|
\---/(@)\__________/(@)\-/

to drive by...

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
My Lord!!
That is THE sorriest (!) picture I've ever seen of SoWal beaches! And that county wasn't even hit with a hurricane....yet. :eek:
But then again, with county leaders like SoWal has, who needs hurricanes.