• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm sorry but I don't see the problem with any resort town owning their own amenities such as pools, tennis courts, beach walkovers, etc. I don't think they should own the entire beach, though they do take all the responsibility of maintaining it. The issue is access. Access to the beach via beach walkovers.

Private beach walkovers are built for homeowners, residents and visitors/renters. I can't see why they should be open to the general public, especially in Rosemary Beach where there are huge neighborhoods nearby (seacrest). They have every right to reserve their walkovers and amenities for town residents.

On the other hand, I love how Seaside seems to be the only real beach resort community that opens its town to all. But, they don't have a "seacrest" next door that uses and abuses its amenities and walkovers. We are all pretty much welcome there. And I do appreciate Seaside for that.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
On the other hand, I love how Seaside seems to be the only real beach resort community that opens its town to all. But, they don't have a "seacrest" next door that uses and abuses its amenities and walkovers. We are all pretty much welcome there. And I do appreciate Seaside for that.

The Seaside welcome has also gone by the wayside with the new management company. They have posted all of their walkovers private and also put signs on the beach!

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to keep pools, parking spaces, cabanas, stairs, basically anything THEY have built private. My problem is with them running folks off the sand that predates both them and their developments. :angry:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The Seaside welcome has also gone by the wayside with the new management company. They have posted all of their walkovers private and also put signs on the beach!

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to keep pools, parking spaces, cabanas, stairs, basically anything THEY have built private. My problem is with them running folks off the sand that predates both them and their developments. :angry:

well, Seaside has always had signs. But, we have always participated in the town in almost every way, and we've always been welcome.

I do agree with you about the sand. we don't have free access to the beach walkovers. but the beaches are another story. but, without the walkover, such as in Rosemary, the beach would not be overrun by nearby neighborhoods.

Seacrest residents need not help themselves to walkovers in other resort communities. period.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Beachcoma,

I live here full-time (and have for years & years)--life in our little group of beachtowns was freewheeling and fun for most of that time. I can't believe how fast things began to change during the RE frenzy. First we had an increase in traffic; then I noticed more and more trash during my walks (and picking up) on the beach; then condos & subdivisions sprang up everywhere; then plastic junk, chairs and tents were left all over the beach overnight; and now this summer they started in with all the "private beach" signs and they even arrested a guy for sitting on dry sand in the "wrong place."

Watching how things are developing around here, I think it makes a helluvalot of financial sense to just rent for the couple of months each year you want to stay on the beach. My advice to you is to come here, spend your money and enjoy your vacation without having to put up with all the drama and politics of being a homeower.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
How in the hell did I miss this thread???

Jim Bagby......"town manager" of Rosemary Beach.

Hmmmmmm.......

He now has to "enforce" the rights of the RMB property owners by making sure the Seacrest folks (and others) don't trespass....all this due to the "overcrowding" of the beach in their area.

What a real twist of events in less than one year!

Can anyone guess why? (hint: RFV).

dsilvar

Beach Fanatic
Jan 12, 2006
Miramar beach
.. they started in with all the "private beach" signs and they even arrested a guy for sitting on dry sand in the "wrong place."

Shel,
I guess I just don't get it. Sorry to be stupid.
A beachside lot in Florida has a legal description, ya?
The seaside boundary is legally described to be to the ECL ...in most(?) cases.?
Where the hell is the problem..I won't walk north of the ECL and you (beach lot owner) don't bother me south of there. QED....:dunno: ?

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
"Watching how things are developing around here, I think it makes a helluvalot of financial sense to just rent for the couple of months each year you want to stay on the beach. My advice to you is to come here, spend your money and enjoy your vacation without having to put up with all the drama and politics of being a homeower..."

Not to mention those watery-blowy things called Hurricanes.

Makes me want to stick to lake property,

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
Gosh, until I began reading this thread I didn't know that by my small ownership in Seacrest that I was considered riffraff. Live and learn. I'm sorry that there are those people in the world who consider it their right to take advantage of other people's property, but I feel rather insulted to be lumped in with that crowd. I personally have never used one of Rosemary's walkovers. It is way, way, too inconvenient. I have, however, walked up the beach in July (keeping below the HWM, of course) and marveled at the sheer number of people packed onto the beach. As their development grows, I'm sure the numbers in peak times will only increase. I certainly can't blame them for wanting to keep those numbers in check. But I assure you it doesn't make me want to go join in with the crowd sweltering in the 100 degree heat. Maybe that's why I much prefer the Fall and Spring in Sowal.

Sure do wish we could all get along. It would be a lot more fun for everyone. Isn't that what we come to Sowal for?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Gosh, until I began reading this thread I didn't know that by my small ownership in Seacrest that I was considered riffraff. Live and learn. I'm sorry that there are those people in the world who consider it their right to take advantage of other people's property, but I feel rather insulted to be lumped in with that crowd. I personally have never used one of Rosemary's walkovers. It is way, way, too inconvenient. I have, however, walked up the beach in July (keeping below the HWM, of course) and marveled at the sheer number of people packed onto the beach. As their development grows, I'm sure the numbers in peak times will only increase. I certainly can't blame them for wanting to keep those numbers in check. But I assure you it doesn't make me want to go join in with the crowd sweltering in the 100 degree heat. Maybe that's why I much prefer the Fall and Spring in Sowal.

Sure do wish we could all get along. It would be a lot more fun for everyone. Isn't that what we come to Sowal for?

I hope you didn't take Shelly's post too seriously when you expressed your thoughts. The problem is not so much the "riff-raff" as you call it, but with the "screw the beachfront private property owner" attitude of a majority of Walton County Commissioners and the NATURAL way that developers will capitalize on that.

What many here don't realize (some clearly do however), is that the increase in off-beach development is having a REVERSE effect regarding the public using the beach. Many gulf-front property owners have been pushed too far and are reacting.

This is the 12th time I'll say it...Nobody has been run off our beach yet by me. But I know the day is coming when we'll have no choice if we are to protect our own investment and interests as all the improper developments that are sanctioned by the county bring in hordes of weekly out-of-towners packing properties to the hilt to cut down on costs, who want to be at the beach every single day that they are there.

Contrast that to the typical family who LIVE near the beach. They have a life. They may only get to the beach maybe only once per week.

Interestingly, several years ago my family and I were looking at property at the Villas at Sunset Beach. We didn't buy there but I wondered then how in the heck all those people across the street were going to "squeeze" through the Villas (albeit legal). Now that the area is somewhat maturing and after reading this thread, I don't have to wonder anymore.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I hope you didn't take Shelly's post too seriously when you expressed your thoughts.

angry-smiley-034.gif
Hold it right there, Bucko!

I think the implication of Seacrest Riff-Raff came from the Rosemary Thymes :)roll:) article and the employment of Beach Gestapo to patrol their dry sand.

-------------------
On September 10, the Rosemary Beach board of directors voted to hire security to enforce the privacy of the beach and the beach walkovers.

"We will be sending letters to remind our neighbors," Bagby said, "that the beach walkovers and the beach are private. To avoid embarrassment or calls from angry renters, they need to let them know where the public beach access and the Seacrest access are located."

----------------------------------------

Last edited: