• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't really think that is necessary. I do think we ought to have some appreciation for natural systems, especially rare and special ones like the coastal dune lakes. And a few thoughts for future generations might be in order as well. Too bad you seem to think there are only two available boxes, no grow and grow without limits. :bang:
I was being sarcastic. I think in today's world, I see so many people who think that houses are permanent objects. They also think that simply because something has been a particular way for as long as they can remember, that it should be no other way. This planet has been around for millions of years. Humans wouldn't even show up as a spec on a time line of the history of the Earth. The Lakes change with time. I could care less if the outflows filled with sand, unless it is humans who cause it. Guess what. The Lakes may have a lifespan, too. Maybe they also change with time on their own, and one day cease to exist, without any cause by human actions. "Managing" the lakes makes me think of people wanting to put them in a no-grow box. These lakes just as the outflows, would change naturally over time, even if people didn't exist. My thoughts are leave the freaking lakes alone, and let them be lakes doing whatever it is that lakes do. The less impact we have on these lakes, the more they can do what they do.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I definitely agree that you need to be "big picture" in dealing with Mother Nature, but think that when changes are caused or intensified by humans, we should take action.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hear you, but we need to be very sure as to the causes of things. Some people living on Eastern Lake will tell you that the Ditch Weed was growing because of Mr Williams actions. People have a tendency to get an opinion and defend it to the death. Ask questions. Ask MANY questions, and ask them to many people, including experts.

It is thought that Big Redfish and Little Redfish Lakes probably connected at some point in time. Currently, they are two separated lakes. Sand has built up on the beach between the two, likely long before anyone settled in the area. If you are going to "manage" the Lakes, you better make damn sure that you know what you are doing, the real causes of that which you are trying to control, and how mother nature would act without the interference of Man. If any of those things are not 100%, you shouldn't pretend to know what is best for the Lakes. If you want to manage something, you could start by removing septic tanks from around the Lakes and removing homes from the natural historic outflow locations, which is very wide range for most lakes.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm not so much advocating "management," more "practicing minimum impact" with the occasional "fix" to correct an oops.

As far as Worthless, my solution would be to just make him remove the added sand and see what happens, not have a general management program with periodic interventions required because folks built permanent structures too low. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I understand that which you are saying. I see one problem with it in a general sense, and that is, who defines the word "oops?" Some people's oops are not other peoples oops, and before we know it, there are too many people trying to make differing decisions on who's to blame, what's the cause, and the "fix" for the problem. I wish it could be as simple as you say. If Worth dumped four loads of sand, make him remove those four loads of sand. Oh, life would be too easy.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Thanks for all of the comments.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I wish it could be as simple as you say. Oh, life would be too easy.

It is that simple! Join me in Scooterbugland. It is a wonderful place!

Captain Obvious is a fair and benevolent ruler, Sowal is the official news bureau, "sense and sensibility" is the state motto and forms the cornerstone of an education system that teaches basic skills and introduces many ideas (not just the comfortable ones), lobbyists and special interest groups are sentenced to chain gangs that pick up trash and do chores for the elderly and infirm, and noone leaves items on the beach overnight! ;-)

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I was being sarcastic
Sorry, SJ, I didn't realize :blush:

I met a man on the beach who told me the county dumped all that sand at the Eastern Lake outlet. So I asked him to tell me more, and he said it was back after the hurricane and all these dump trucks came along and dumped many loads of sand right there, and he pointed to the beach all along the outlet, not just near Worth Williams' place. So I asked him if he actually saw any of the trucks dump the sand, or did he just see the trucks passing by? And he then said, well, no, he didn't see them stop and dump sand, but so and so told him they did.
Well - those trucks were getting on the beach just east of the outlet and hauling sand to the seawalls going up to the west in Seagrove. But see, this is how rumors get started. You are quite right, we need to be very sure of the cause of things.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
i'd like to see those pics, if you're up to it.

Sorry, I found what I thought was the picture. It is an original Sunday paper insert with an aerial shot of Pinnacle Port and an "artists rendering map" on the back, which is what showed the large cut. The actual cut you can see was maybe deep enough for a jet-ski. I can get it scanned for you if there's sentimental value, but it's big so I gotta find a large format scanner.

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
You could scan it it pieces and then reassemble in a graphics program. Where is there a large-format scanner, anyway?
By the way, anyone interested in the coastal dune lakes should come to the meeting at the Coastal Branch Library, from 1-3 pm, Tuesday, Feb. 5. This is your chance for input on the management plans for the lakes. They have to be managed, because they are no longer natural, with all the development impacting them.