• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Coast is Clear said:
As an owner is Seaside I have been interested in all the comments. Here are some of my views as someone who has gone to Seaside for many years before buying and building 2 years ago:

-Yes it was heartbreaking to spend all that money on the beaches and walkovers last year to see them all taken away in 1 year. I am not sure it was $1mm, but could have been with walkways, sand, plantings etc. Town Counsel is going to take their time to come up with a solution that will not just be throwing money at the problem. They are a very dedicated group. Expert coming in for owners weekend to discuss options.

-I am hoping the above does not mean that all the pavillions will not be rebuilt. They are an icon to the town, no question. I know the short term solution is that 2 removable aluminum staircases will be put on two of the pavillions. I think they will see how those work and go from there. Owners weekend is this next weekend, and they were supposed to be up by then.

-Seaside is going through a transition currently, that looks to be a huge step in the right direction for the town. The previous Town Cousels have sat on their hands and let the town slip a bit. That has been fully recognized over the last year and will be corrected going forward. It has helped to have competition come along to keep them on their toes. There is a huge push for not only better management and maintenance, but to keep Seaside as a showcase for many of the good things 30-A has to offer.

-Obviously, everyone has their own preferences of the areas they like to rent, and what is 'worth it'. I have driven through Watercolor, and Rosemary on weekends, at nights, on holidays, etc., and as far as 'town feel' nothing holds a candle to activity and life that Seaside has for that type of development.

-We spent this last weekend (7-10) at Seaside, and I had even been talking about maybe selling our place to find something closer to home (Atl). But I realized it was just my disapointment in noy being able to get down more oftem that was talking.

While I know 'October is the worst time of year to be on 30-A' we got REALLY lucky and had a spectacular 3 days of sun, low 80's, no red tide, no flies, tag sale, good food, just perfect. It made me realize how lucky we are. Looking up and down the coast and seeing the variations in the sand, coastline, etc. it is all just a part of what we have to get used to living on the coast. It has its charm and surprises.

With the construction planned over the next few years in town, there may be more inconveniences, but I think the town is on the right track for the long haul, and is still a beautiful charming place visit. :D

You don't say whether your Seaside home is in the rental program with Seaside or not. Possibly it is not for rent, which may be a good thing. However, I have just about had it with Seaside's website and with Seaside's customer service, or lack thereof.. It is about the worst site I've ever delt with. It's outdated, nothing works correctly, and when I call (& ultimately have to leave a message) or email, NO ONE EVER replies or returns a call!!! I don't know how they expect anyone to rent if their cusomer service is so marginal! I have sent a blistering email asking the rental manager to CALL me. It is so very disappointing to me. Seaside is where we always stayed from the very beginning when they only had 10 - 15 cottages, almost 20 yrs ago. I think treatment like this is why people are complaining and possibly not returning or "moving on" to Rosemary or WaterColor. When inquiring with them, I received replies from each within 2 hours!
I don't expect a response from Seaside and that's really too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
Our house is in the rental program, (Coast is Clear) and I am disappointed with the service you have received. I myself have seen spotty service at times and really have very little patience for it. I think the web site has some limitations because if a house has restrictions on it you can only reserve by phone.

Most of my experiences have been within the Seaside organization, and in general have been very good. This includes Maintenance, Town counsel, Housekeeping, etc. I realize that does not help you when dealing with reservations which is obviously a key part of the equation.

I am going to bring this up with our rental rep so she can be aware going into this weekend's meetings.

For the past 12 months Seaside has been under a new, and more proactive, management team, and I hope this will be one issue they can address. we are already seeing improvements in many areas, but the list was getting long before they started.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Johnrudy said:
You don't say whether your Seaside home is in the rental program with Seaside or not. Possibly it is not for rent, which may be a good thing. However, I have just about had it with Seaside's website and with Seaside's customer service, or lack thereof.. It is about the worst site I've ever delt with. It's outdated, nothing works correctly, and when I call (& ultimately have to leave a message) or email, NO ONE EVER replies or returns a call!!! I don't know how they expect anyone to rent if their cusomer service is so marginal! I have sent a blistering email asking the rental manager to CALL me. It is so very disappointing to me. Seaside is where we always stayed from the very beginning when they only had 10 - 15 cottages, almost 20 yrs ago. I think treatment like this is why people are complaining and possibly not returning or "moving on" to Rosemary or WaterColor. When inquiring with them, I received replies from each within 2 hours!
I don't expect a response from Seaside and that's really too bad.

My opinion meshes with yours. I think the site is very awkward to use and takes forever to plow through (even with high speed connection). It can't hold a candle to what Watercolor has! Also, I've always been puzzled about why Seaside doesn't make an effort in keeping its customers. Over the years we've stayed several times at Seaside and never once have they sent us their new rent charts or news about the town, etc. If we've wanted to stay at Seaside, we've had to seek them out, and it really shouldn't be that way.

Hopefully they will work on upgrading. The town has a lot to offer but it also has a lot to improve upon.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Coast is Clear said:
Our house is in the rental program, (Coast is Clear) and I am disappointed with the service you have received. I myself have seen spotty service at times and really have very little patience for it. I think the web site has some limitations because if a house has restrictions on it you can only reserve by phone.

Most of my experiences have been within the Seaside organization, and in general have been very good. This includes Maintenance, Town counsel, Housekeeping, etc. I realize that does not help you when dealing with reservations which is obviously a key part of the equation.

I am going to bring this up with our rental rep so she can be aware going into this weekend's meetings.

For the past 12 months Seaside has been under a new, and more proactive, management team, and I hope this will be one issue they can address. we are already seeing improvements in many areas, but the list was getting long before they started.

Thank you for your reply. One of the reasons for my post to you last night was in hopes of getting your attention in case you are in the rental program there. And it's not just me. I've heard the same comments from others about the lack of concern from Seaside's rental office. They either have the wrong people working there or their marketing department needs to be retrained. With things on 30-A so competitive it seems, Seaside is digging their own grave. Like I said last night, we remember when it was new and young, about the best thing that hit the coast, besides the natual beauty of the sand and water.
To be fair tho, I did receive a reply from Seaside this a.m. apologizing for the inconvenience, also saying they would forward my email to the marketing department. But, until they received a caustic email from me, did they finally reply!
I hope you continue to receive good response in the rental program and the organization. I truely only want the best for Seaside. I want to see continued success.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Mermaid said:
My opinion meshes with yours. I think the site is very awkward to use and takes forever to plow through (even with high speed connection). It can't hold a candle to what Watercolor has! Also, I've always been puzzled about why Seaside doesn't make an effort in keeping its customers. Over the years we've stayed several times at Seaside and never once have they sent us their new rent charts or news about the town, etc. If we've wanted to stay at Seaside, we've had to seek them out, and it really shouldn't be that way.

Hopefully they will work on upgrading. The town has a lot to offer but it also has a lot to improve upon.
Hello Mermaid, thank YOU for your reply as well! I knew I couldn't be the only one who thinks Seaside's website is awful. I work for a small non-profit community service organization in my town, without a lot of extra spending dollars, and we find it imperative to have our website up to date, user friendly, etc. It is by far our most important marketing tool - way beyond any newspaper or yellow pages advertising. That's why it is shocking that Seaside takes such an apathetic (careless?) approach. Gone are the days of "word of mouth" advertising. Other than revising cottage rates, the rest is so behind in technology. It's the same as it was years ago, which was acceptable then, but not now! They've never upgraded and don't seem to worry about it. It's just not one of their marketing tools. You try to click on their community map, and the "in the news" opens up instead. You click on their "contact us" and something else comes up! Maddening. To me, if I owned there, it's those kinds of things that would scare me. Their inability to stay abreast AND correct some of their problems, and it makes you wonder if there might be a multitude of problems that aren't readily apparent!

Coast is Clear has a positive attitude about their cottage in the rental program and that's what it takes. I've gone on with enough of my own negativity, which I realize is damaging. I hope in this transition stage they're going thru, they take these complaints into consideration.

And believe me, if their marketing department is on the ball, they regularly read forums like this - keep up with what the public is saying! It should be a daily occurance - like reading the newspaper.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
John, I don't think I'd necessarily call it "negativity" on our part. More like "constructive criticism," which I hope can have a positive impact. I am really fond of Seaside--we've had some absolutely marvelous vacations there, and I'm so happy that our condo is within walking distance--but I look forward to a Seaside that works on bettering itself, not resting on its laurels, as it seems to have been doing of late. I'm liking what Coast Is Clear is telling us about the town.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Mermaid said:
John, I don't think I'd necessarily call it "negativity" on our part. More like "constructive criticism," which I hope can have a positive impact. I am really fond of Seaside--we've had some absolutely marvelous vacations there, and I'm so happy that our condo is within walking distance--but I look forward to a Seaside that works on bettering itself, not resting on its laurels, as it seems to have been doing of late. I'm liking what Coast Is Clear is telling us about the town.
Me too. And I'm glad that positive changes might come out of this! I really don't want to damage Coast is Clear's chances or any other cottage's chances in being rented.

(P.S. We visited the Indpls. Children's Musem about 5 years ago and it was the best children's musem we'd ever been to!! My son who is 14, still talks about it!)

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
I agree, I don't view ANY feedback as negative. If there is a problem, I want to know about it so it can be addressed. The message that I am getting from Seaside is the same.

All I can ask is to be patient. Events over the last year, while disconcerting when they were originally brought to light, have put Seaside on a track that will bring it back up to the level where it should be. Infrastructure improvements are already underway, decisionmaking has improved, and the town is being managed by a great team.

I remain very optimistic.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Coast is Clear said:
I agree, I don't view ANY feedback as negative. If there is a problem, I want to know about it so it can be addressed. The message that I am getting from Seaside is the same.

All I can ask is to be patient. Events over the last year, while disconcerting when they were originally brought to light, have put Seaside on a track that will bring it back up to the level where it should be. Infrastructure improvements are already underway, decisionmaking has improved, and the town is being managed by a great team.

I remain very optimistic.
That is great to hear. It makes me feel optimistic too. To us, nothing can ever replace Seaside.
BTW, I just looked at your cottage on the Seaside site and it is beautiful! Maybe even one of the best I've seen there in recent years! If is was mine, I think I'd name it "Dream Come True" !

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
Thanks for looking. It was finished in March this year and has absolutely been 'A Dream Come True'. After 8+ years of visiting we finally bit the bullet and it has worked out great.

Always hard to leaveas you would expect knowing the area.