• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
beachmouse said:
During the winter, this place turns into weird disease vector central. The Air Force people come back from TDY in Uzbekistan or Japan or the Phillipines or Saudi or Italy wherever, and bring with them brand new viruses and bacteria never or rarely seen on these shores. And since the bugs tend to be asymptomatic while people are in the contagious stage, they get their kids sick, who in turn get everone else's kids sick, then it gets spead to the civilian parents...

Normally the bugs tend to be more irritating than actually dangerous, but there was a SARS scare in Okaloosa County a while back that, IIRC, involved kids whose parents had gotten exposed to the disease while in Hong Kong.

That may be the case in Niceville, but since we've lived in SoWal (4 years) we've been very healthy. We've had no bacterial infections (ear, strep, etc.) and just a few mild viruses (colds) each year. This is coming from a family with 4 kids ages 9-1, three of whom are in school. I attribute our health to the mild winter weather which allows us SoWalians to spend lots of time outdoors in the fresh air.

When we lived in Knoxville, it seemed like we were sick a lot more even though our children were small and not in school.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
nbawa1 said:
As far as the influenza scare, I think the administration put out that information to distract the media from the New Orleans fiasco. After they made those comments, everyone is talking about influenza and no one is talking about New Orleans anymore!!!

The people who will most likely be affected will be in East Asia ...

You are correct, Sir, but Jessie Jackson is going to NOLA for a circus side-show act, and he is sure to draw some attention.

Regarding the bird flu and Beachmouse's post regarding the Air Force guys, Niceville and Panty Maw Sity, and the surrounding areas may be at risk. SoWal is right in the middle.:shock:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, it is good to have you on board, Doc.

I hear rumor that Dr Varnadoor (sp?) has bought property on Bay Dr (Hwy 283 North) and he is building an office there, maybe with his house too? Anyone else hear such a thing? I know the specific location and there is definitely something happening on that property.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
nbawa1 said:
I think the administration put out that information to distract the media from the New Orleans fiasco

one smart doctor! :D

nbawa1 said:
For an avian flu to cause an epidemic, it would have to mutate so it can infect humans.

it did that already

nbawa1 said:
the best remedy would be to kill all infected chickens and quarantine the affected area.

they did that too, last year

nbawa1 said:
None of the known anti-viral medications is expected to be very effective.

no s***, sherlock!

nbawa1 said:
I would avoid traveling to any area that is affected

the problem is they travel here and the twiddle-fingers let them right on in due to political correctness, but they check the aged grandma for syphliss(?)

thanks, doc - you rock!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Smiling JOe said:
aquaticbiology,
Did you forget to take your St John's Wort today? Chill out.

sorry, I do get a bit hyper sometimes, don't I...it's the while sugar conspiracy...or the ufo's...or the (fill in the blank)!

btw, I wish st john's wort did work for me - just not enough umph in it to slow me down any unless I took a whole bottle at a time or something. st john's oil (centrifuged from the plant, not the voodoo parlor ethylne glycol antifreeze stuff one store tried to sell me!) is more potent and has some basic energy dulling qualities but can raise blisters your skin if not used properly.

I'm just a water-crazy, full-on sca mead-maker and nutbanger in homemade leather armor, all natural, all the time, and today as hyper as a jackrabbit on speed m'lord (wiggle! wiggle! wiggle!)

drbawa

Beach Lover
Sep 21, 2005
Everytime that the avian flu has made a transpecies jump to date it has been successfully contained. Generally viruses that are so terribly lethal die out once their hosts have passed away. Therefore, good quarantine methods are the most effective way to control such spread.

With globalization, it is more easy for such viruses to spread. However, with modern technology, we can come up with innovative ways of stopping such spread. Last year, when there was such a scare, the chinese military was checking everyone's temperature at airports. This would be a good way to find the people who might have a high fever and so might be carrying some virus. Deciding what to do with people who do have a fever, might be more difficult.

With rapid DNA sequencing technology, we can now find the genetic code for such viruses more easily and so find vaccines and antidotes more rapidly.

As far as St. John's Wort, some studies do show that it might be as effective as some anti-depressants but there are other studies that contradict this. As someone mentioned, the exact composition of some of the supplements might change and so it might be better to get a prescription medication that has an accurately determined composition.

As far as Dr Varnedore, I have heard many contradicting reports of where he is. It would be best to wait until he opens up and makes his presence known.

Have a great day.... :razz: