• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I'd appreciate it if my fellow posters would please PM me with the name of an insurance agency you'd recommend (our policy is cancelled as of January 15).

My husband had no luck negotiating with the insurance company over the phone. He was very business-like, but I failed to realize that his negotiating skills (based on intellect, but also based on being physically intimidating) don't work over the phone (duh!).

Thanks!

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051014/NEWS01/510140321/1006

Citizens Property eyes big rate increase

"TALLAHASSEE -- Citizens Property Insurance officials are considering an 80 percent statewide increase for its high-risk wind policies -- including price hikes that triple the bill for some consumers.

In some parts of Pensacola, which has among the lowest windstorm rates with Citizens, the cost of hurricane home insurance would increase as much 253 percent.

Windstorm rates for another 7,700 Escambia County residents insured by Citizens would double.

State Rep. Dave Murzin, R-Pensacola, said he expects a public outcry.

"But the other side of the coin is: Citizens ran a deficit, their rates aren't high enough, and they have to go up. That's the cold, hard fact," Murzin said."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
I'd appreciate it if my fellow posters would please PM me with the name of an insurance agency you'd recommend (our policy is cancelled as of January 15).

Thanks!

You may be waiting a while if you are looking for someone to recommend an insurance company. Currently, that is like selecting your favorite Tax Assessor.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
You might try Benny Waterfield at Waterfield and Associates. 850 837-6242
They were able to help me after Allstate decided not to insure houses that were rented out.

sarahj

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2005
Arkansas/Fl.
www.vrbo.com
Beachrunner, I was sure rooting for you husband to whoop up on the insurances and was secretly hoping he'd get in a punch for us. After Ivan we did all our repairs, which compared to some people were very little. Still we took a week of our time and some money out of our pocket thinking it would help in the long run not to have a claim. We were rewarded with a complete cancellation of our insurance which had about 6 months left and was paid in full. No refund was given because we were told they were in bankrupcy, but was assured we would get a refund. After 8 months my husband finally got in touch with someone who told him it usually took about a month, thinking he was just now asking for a refund. He told them we had been waiting 8 months. Bottom line we finally got a check for 100.00 with a notice that if we weren't satisfied we could file a complaint. We just let it go. Wonder how many people our there did the same thing? Sometime you have to let go and move on. But it still smarts!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: