• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
On December 26, 2007, I took my family of 5 people to Defuniak Springs to see the Christmas light show and have dinner at Hotel Defuniak's Bogies "fine dining" restaurant. My family came up to the panhandle to spend our first Christmas since my dad's recent diagnosis with cancer.
Unfortunately, the total disregard for respect or quality service at Bogie's restaurant made our evening a horrible experience and left a very bad image of the otherwise quaint town of Defuniak Springs.

We arrived at Bogies and were told it would be an hour before we could be seated so we took this opportunity to see the wonderful Christmas light show. The attendants were friendly and the light show was wonderful!
We returned to Bogies at 6:45 and were promptly seated and our order was quickly taken. We got our drinks quickly but it took 45 minutes to get our bread and butter. We finally got our salads an hour and a 15 minutes after we were seated. 3 tables that were seated after us were served and finished eating. Finally after 1 hour 45 minutes, my mom went up to the hostess and said it's been nearly 2 hours and while we were told it would be a while because of a another large table, 2 hours is just ridiculous. We were then told 3 times that our dinner was coming and after 2 hours our dinner finally arrived - COLD! We told the waitress that we were leaving and to bring our check which came to $30 and we paid it.

At this point, we had received bad service which can happen at times but what happened next was the most appalling thing that I've ever seen in an establishment of fine dining. I asked to speak to the manager and was told to talk to the bartender who had me wait about 5 minutes and then finally approached me. I calmly and softly explained what had happened with our dinner, that we had driven over an hour from south walton and how disappointed we all were. The bartender was very rude and asked "What do you want me to do?" I told her the least that should have been done was to have our 3 drinks compted for the frustration and inconvenience. She looked at me and verbatim said "Nothing that I can do would make you happy because you're PISSED!" I couldn't believe the language and rude attitude at such an establishment. I told her that I was not "pissed" because if I was I would be upset and yelling at her which I was not. That I was trying to tell her how terrible the experience was. I then said, "This is just terrible, my sister is diabetic and asked where were we supposed to get dinner at almost 9PM". She just stood there and looked at me with a blank stare. I then asked her for her name - to which she asked me why. I said because I was told that you were the manager and I intended to contact the Walton Sun. She then told me that she wasn't going to give me her name and that I should leave. I really couldn't believe that the manager used profanity, was absolutely unsympathetic and refused to give me her name.

It is so sad that people are so unkind, especially at Christmas. As we drove through the beautiful light show with it's various lighted messages about peace and the spirit of Christmas, I never dreamed that the arguably "best" restaurant in town had none of the spirit of christmas of small town neighborly love.

The best food in the world is terrible when it's served cold, after 2 hours of waiting with poor and disrespectful service from the employees. I will stay on 30A where the restaurants strive for excellence but even if delays or problems do occur, people still treat others with respect and kindness.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: Bogie's in Defuniak Springs appalling

Wow! I'd be finding out who the owner is and giving them my opinion if I were you. That ain't right.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

Another example of why not to dine above Hwy 20.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA

Too bad you had this experience at Bogie's. When the hotel and restaurant were under the previous owners' management, it was quite good and the service was good. I urge you to contact the owners and let them know about this experience, perhaps send them your post and tell them how many people are active on this Web site. This place struggles because it is "fine dining" in a place where people tend to go elsewhere. For example, Mom and Dad's Italian restaurant out on Highway 90 West is the "in" spot for DeFuniak people, even though the food is mediocre at best. But people go there out of habit and because they'll see their friends there. The other standard spot is Ed's Tastee Freeze, which offers comfort food (and great fried chicken) instead of the fast food one would expect. If the management of Bogie's has any pride and concern at all, they would invite you to return and your meal would be on the house. I won't hold my breath for this. However, they should at least be aware of how their service staff responded to your complaint. They should be fired.

The spot I love to go to when I visit my family in DeFuniak is The Busy Bee Cafe, although I'm not sure if they are open for dinner. The lunch is fun, the service very good, and the food is well prepared. I especially like their panko-crusted grouper and the fried green tomatoes.

I will be eager to hear what kind of response you get from Bogie's, should you pursue this. You might also send a copy of your letter to the local Chamber of Commerce, as their holiday light show is a big revenue generator in the town each year.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged

Thanks guys. Most of you know me and know that I'm not the type to be mean or start a scene in a restaurant but you are all right and your input Donna says a lot. I did send an email to the owner, copied the Chamber and posted a bad review on the Sun, newsherald and various other travel and restaurant reviews.

I also have been to the Hotel DeFuniak restaurant quite a few times over the years and it was fabulous before the new owners took over. We considered Mom and Dad's but I really wanted them to experience the great dining that I THOUGHT Bogie's would be. Maybe we'll do Borago's tonight where I can depend on being treated right with a great meal!

Will keep you guys posted to see if they even care!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia

Thanks guys. Most of you know me and know that I'm not the type to be mean or start a scene in a restaurant but you are all right and your input Donna says a lot. I did send an email to the owner, copied the Chamber and posted a bad review on the Sun, newsherald and various other travel and restaurant reviews.

I also have been to the Hotel DeFuniak restaurant quite a few times over the years and it was fabulous before the new owners took over. We considered Mom and Dad's but I really wanted them to experience the great dining that I THOUGHT Bogie's would be. Maybe we'll do Borago's tonight where I can depend on being treated right with a great meal!

Will keep you guys posted to see if they even care!
You go girl! So sorry about that horrible experience. Bogie's, unfortunately, has been proven recently to be average at it's best. You won't go wrong at Borago!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Don't forget to put a letter in the DeFuniak Herald - which is what most of NoWal reads.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged

You go girl! So sorry about that horrible experience. Bogie's, unfortunately, has been proven recently to be average at it's best. You won't go wrong at Borago!

Would you believe I haven't heard a word from the owner's. That's really bad for an owner to not even respond. They'll go under for sure if they continue treating people that way.

Don't forget to put a letter in the DeFuniak Herald - which is what most of NoWal reads.

I copied the DeFuniak Herald on the email and links to the reviews that I posted. So far the only one that I heard from was NW Daily News. She doesn't remember the article but will take another look at them I'm sure.

Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.