• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: TD 24 Forecast to become a hurricane

TS Wilma has gained another 25% in Max Sustained Wind Speed, since I posted this morning. Since yesterday morning its wind speed has almost doubled. Look out!

231353W_sm.gif

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005

Smiling JOe said:
I hear talk by some folks saying that the Gulf is too cold for hurricanes. In reality, it may feel cold to your skin, but it is warm enough to get the hurricanes going. I seeTS Wilma is still gaining wind speed and this will probably continue if she keeps her line towards New Orleans, where she is currently pointing. Over the last 24 hours, Wilma's wind speed has increased 33%.
Better keep a watchful eye out for Wilma.

Aargh...this is awful! I definitely don't want Wilma the Witch hitting SoWal, but I don't want her following me to NOLA either! :bang: I've been assigned to work down there for the month of November. There's enough work down there without Wilma creating more havoc! I like the idea of parking Bob on the beach and scaring Wilma back to where she came from :eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Wilma is very close to becoming a Hurricane. She is now at 65 mph sustained wind speed. She has increased speed rapidly in the last two days. Currently, she is looking like whe wants to head to Tampa, although she can change in only a moment. Look out down there.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

Tropicwatch, all the models have the storm taking a hard right on Friday. Why such a sharp turn, and is that a fairly sure thing? A more usual curvature would hammer us here in the TPA, so I'm trying to know whether I should feel better or not.

Where's the nailbiting smiley?

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

TooFarTampa said:
Tropicwatch, all the models have the storm taking a hard right on Friday. Why such a sharp turn, and is that a fairly sure thing? A more usual curvature would hammer us here in the TPA, so I'm trying to know whether I should feel better or not.

We used to live in Palm Harbor. Are you in Tampa or more in the St. Pete area? There is always such terrible flooding in St. Pete with all the canals and low lying land. I'd be biting my nails too! There are so few roads exiting the peninsula. Besides, it's been a very, very long time since there's been a hurricane in the area.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

tropicwatch said:
I don't want to wish harm on anyone but I like the latest models. They keep Wilma away from Northwest Florida. Just hope it stands. Sorry central and south FL.

Model tracks & Floater Image
The omnipotent force is just working as planned.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

Johnrudy said:
We used to live in Palm Harbor. Are you in Tampa or more in the St. Pete area? There is always such terrible flooding in St. Pete with all the canals and low lying land. I'd be biting my nails too! There are so few roads exiting the peninsula. Besides, it's been a very, very long time since there's been a hurricane in the area.

I'm on a different peninsula -- South Tampa, which is the area between Kennedy Ave. and MacDill AFB. We are about 3/4 mile from Tampa Bay and in a pretty high neighborhood, but if a major hurricane slices up Tampa Bay, we are in trouble. We'd probably be OK flood-wise in a Cat 3 direct hit, but most of South Tampa would be underwater. :sosad: Which reminds me. I meant to get flood insurance this year but didn't. :bang: At least our house is up on a crawl space.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

TooFarTampa said:
I'm on a different peninsula -- South Tampa, which is the area between Kennedy Ave. and MacDill AFB. We are about 3/4 mile from Tampa Bay and in a pretty high neighborhood, but if a major hurricane slices up Tampa Bay, we are in trouble. We'd probably be OK flood-wise in a Cat 3 direct hit, but most of South Tampa would be underwater. :sosad: Which reminds me. I meant to get flood insurance this year but didn't. :bang: At least our house is up on a crawl space.
We neve had flood insur. either and we were only about 2 blks. from the shoreline (Ozona area). Well, stay tuned. I just hope the area will be prepared IF it somes your way. Let's hope that it lessens in strength!!

tropicwatch

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2005
tropicwatch.info

TooFarTampa said:

The strong right turn in the models are in anticipation of a strong frontal system. This time of year it is quite possible. I have not looked that closely but that is usually the reason for such a significant turn.

Model Tracks & Floater Image