• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
FROM FOX NEWS:

In an about-face, Gov. Jeb Bush is backing a plan allowing limited exploration for oil drilling off Florida's coastline.

"My position is if we can get an assurance to extend a 100- to 125-mile swath from Pensacola all the way to Jacksonville to protect our beaches, then we ought to try and get it. We don't have that today," Bush said.
While the current moratorium on offshore drilling (search) is set to expire in 2007, there is no law banning drilling entirely. Opponents of the governor's plan on both sides of the aisle would rather see an outright ban on drilling for the entire eastern Gulf of Mexico.

"It's not worth [how] it would hurt us and our military preparedness and [how] it would hurt Florida's economy by messing up our pristine beaches," said Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat.

But drilling has been permitted for decades off other parts of America's coastline, such as Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Alaska and portions of Southern California. One oil industry expert says that after two seasons of hard-hitting hurricanes, it's time Florida contributed its share.

"We need more natural gas supply and we need them from diverse areas of our country," said Darrel Henry of the American Gas Association (search).

According to proponents, there is enough untapped, natural gas in the Gulf to power as many as 60 million American homes for the next hundred years. But opponents say the risk of oil spills and pollution could damage Florida's tourism-driven coastal economy.

"If people don't come to Florida, if they don't come to the beaches, if they don't spend their money here, we're in a lot of trouble as a state," warned Joe Murphy, of the Sierra Club (search) in Florida.

Congress is expected to revisit this debate when it returns this week. With winter around the corner, the only thing both sides agree on is that already-high fuel prices will go up even higher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any idea what that would do to our beaches? I am totally outraged. 125 miles is nothing...that is not far enough to keep the beaches pristine, and it seems it could obstruct views to the horizon.

:bang: :pissed: :pissed: :bang:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
I remember when the rigs were there back in the day - stepping on the black tar blobs that littered the beach and left little black streaks on the towels - hearing the 'whooooooooooo' of the whistle at night when the wind was from offshore - fishing downstream of the rig with my uncle and catching the most monster grouper

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
bsmart said:
Do you have any idea what that would do to our beaches? I am totally outraged. 125 miles is nothing...that is not far enough to keep the beaches pristine, and it seems it could obstruct views to the horizon.

:bang: :pissed: :pissed: :bang:

My guess is that there are currently oil wells in the Gulf within 125 miles from SoWal, over in Mississippi. As far as the views to the horizon, you can see only about 7 miles out. Even with the wells being 125 miles away, they still would not be visible from One Seagrove Place.

That said, the real problem is the potential pollution occuring from drilling and extracting oil and natural gas. Instead of drilling, why don't they spend that money on more research and development of alternative fuel sources? That is what kills me. :bang: Big Oil and Big Four auto makers are running the show in Washington, and they are ruining it for everyone.

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Smiling JOe said:
Instead of drilling, why don't they spend that money on more research and development of alternative fuel sources? That is what kills me. :bang: Big Oil and Big Four auto makers are running the show in Washington, and they are ruining it for everyone.

Right. :clap_1:

Dabell

Beach Fanatic
Sep 15, 2005
New York
I do not want to see that happen!
Yet, I did hear that there is a main gas line that does run threw ( under Ground) the panhadle.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Jr...are you in heaven or what?

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.
Smiling JOe said:
My guess is that there are currently oil wells in the Gulf within 125 miles from SoWal, over in Mississippi. As far as the views to the horizon, you can see only about 7 miles out. Even with the wells being 125 miles away, they still would not be visible from One Seagrove Place.

I feel so stupid now, I meant to add something in here about boating and the view, but I guess that still won't affect it much--just ignore me, I am sleep deprived lately.