• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
Thanks for the info DogFly. Sorry about your job, glad that you have had other offers.

I do have to fuss up that I am happy hear that the srpay maybe no more.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Hey savy
actually the state has a contract with a private company to spray for mosquitoes after storms and during disease outbreaks and will use them possibly for dogflies too. also there has been talk of the airforce wanting to help using a C-130

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sorry if this was confusing it actually pretty simple since you guys dont want us to spray and we have an old supposedly unsafe plane the dogfly program "may" be ending june of 2008 so everyone is looking for a job and our boss was just hired by the south walton mosquitoe commissioners including burke who(may be getting his job back) appoint the director (not elect)..
The commissioners are the ones elected not the directors. but know that does not mean we will spray for dogflies we will be gone. Im thinking of going to work in alabama at some farms and see if i can help raise a few million dog flies haha.
You would be better off to go to those farms and try to control the flies at the source.

Since the Dog Fly program was canned last year for Walton County, what importance does Jun 2008 have? I fail to see the connection. Also, if the Dog Fly Program is truly a State Program, and Walton County opted out, how does that leave the State employees who spray poisons, unemployed?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Since the Dog Fly program was canned last year for Walton County, what importance does Jun 2008 have? I fail to see the connection. Also, if the Dog Fly Program is truly a State Program, and Walton County opted out, how does that leave the State employees who spray poisons, unemployed?

It seems that everyone survived without the program last year so does that not qualify the program as another needless government intervention? Seems like permanent dismantling of the thing would help us save some money.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
seacrest
thanks for the thoughts. im not to worried about my employment as im very skilled in several things and already have 4 job offers , just trying to decide if i want to stay in mosquitoe/dogfly. dogflies are only equel to yellow flies in that they are both blood feeders. but dog flies lov to chew on people and espicially dogs ears,hence the name dogfly.also dogflies come in late summer and fall with the north winds ,while yellow flies live here and bread heavily in early summer. yes it could be whats wrong with you but it also could be any number of things in your every day life. just read the label on anything you clean with ,use on your cat or dog or yard, the food you eat ,the air you breath ,what you drink . you name just "about" anything not used correctly can either injure or kill you

Sorry, but that is only partially correct information. Yes, Stable (Dog) Flies feed on blood, both males and females. Only the female Deer (aka-Yellow) Fly feed on blood to reproduce. The males feed on plant nectar only. I will remind everyone that the Dog (Stable) Fly does not pose any threat to humans or dogs. They don't spread disease, nor do the Yellow (Deer) Flies, as I understand.

As for the rest of your statement, most of the other products in your home don't kill when used as instructed. ;-)

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
You would be better off to go to those farms and try to control the flies at the source.

Does Walton county have to opt out every year or is this permanent?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't know that answer, swgb. The opt out has only to do with allowing the State to fly in densely populated areas at altitudes under 1500ft (or somewhere around that). I believe that in order to properly apply the poisons, the plane has to fly at 150ft elevation, lower than some buildings in SoWal.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I don't know that answer, swgb. The opt out has only to do with allowing the State to fly in densely populated areas at altitudes under 1500ft (or somewhere around that). I believe that in order to properly apply the poisons, the plane has to fly at 150ft elevation, lower than some buildings in SoWal.

That sounds like a lean toward an ordinance, thus permanent. Come on WaltonGOP, I rely on you for most of the nitty-gritty stuff here.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
That sounds like a lean toward an ordinance, thus permanent. Come on WaltonGOP, I rely on you for most of the nitty-gritty stuff here.

You got me on this one. All a commissioner told me when I asked was that they denied permission for the plane to fly low over the area. I never noticed a dog fly problem up here where I live and I thought the locals had those beach balls hanging in their yards with that black sticky stuff to keep the dog flys away.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
smilin joe
actually i want to go to alabama farms and raise millions of dog fly's to harrass and bring you pain. JUST KIDDING!!!! . that was my evil twin making that statement in an earlier post. joe the connection to june 2008 is when our fiscal year ends and because you guy's dont want us to spray and the big bosses in tallahassee think our plane is unsafe and the states buget is out of whack their cutting us unless we get lots of support. so rather than wait until we dont have a job most everyone is looking elsewhere for employment. so it's not enough support and too many headaches to continue.