• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sorry about that, dogflyguy. My mistake.

Regarding your other post:
dogflyguy said:
smilin joe
Sorr i didnt get into enough detail for you, yes you are right in that the yellow fly females are the only ones that blood feed for protein to make eggs (good thing human females don't do that). but for details the yellow fly "Diachlorus ferrugatus (fabicius)" and deer fly "Diptera Tabanidae (chrsops)" are two different species even though they are both from the same family of 35 biting fly species in florida
It wasn't that you didn't go into detail. I only pointed out the error because the last time I listened to one of the Commissioners for Mosq Control, he was horribly inaccurate in his statements, and often got confused between the Dog Fly, Deer Fly and Mosquito. He'd be talking about the diseases they carry, and the next thing you knew, he began talking about Dog Flies, without telling anyone that he had changed the subject to Dog Flies, which don't carry disease. I didn't want the people who were trying to understand the differences to be more confused by reading partially correct statements.

I am not happy that you will lose your job, though I am happy that we don't spray poisons in a blanket manner. I hope you will make a good transition into another job.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks for the further explanation of the State spraying. I understand. Out of all the Gulf counties sprayed, what percentage don't allow the State to spray? Is is just us environmental whack jobs in Walton County?

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
joe
I know they (dogfly) bite like an animal but they are really an insect.
ask some of the northern dairy and cattle farmers if the dogflies are harmless or the local surf shops or local fishing charters???

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
joe
sorry about the smart@## remark just my evil twin again.
yes it is only you guy's out of 6 counties who voted not to be sprayed ,but we also did not spray escambia too but only because they have not have the flies like in previous years. but beleive me if they ever get as bad as gulf county the last 2 yrs 30 to 40 counts someone will be spraying you again!!!. Id put money on that unless they come up with a better way. as i said before i don't like dibrom either but unless you come up with a better well working way i think your in for more spray. which may be by the state still with hired private contractors instead of it's own plane. or worse the airforces C-130

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
joe
I know they (dogfly) bite like an animal but they are really an insect.
ask some of the northern dairy and cattle farmers if the dogflies are harmless or the local surf shops or local fishing charters???

First, I'm no biologist. I do recall from 3rd grade science class, that insects, amphibians, fish, mammals, birds, reptiles, are animals, not to be confused with plants. Second, I never said the Dog Flies don't bite. If they cause harm to humans or dogs, please show me one official hospital report or statistic showing that a person was treated for a Dog Fly bite.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
joe
what about other animals that you care about such as horses and cow's that can get Anthrax,Equine Infectious Anemia and disentary. which the stable fly (dogfly) does carry. fortunetly they don't transmit to humans.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
hey
im thinking about taking a job with south walton mosquito control as a truck spray driver . where did you guys say you lived. haha just kidding again dang that evil twin!!!.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
joe
what about other animals that you care about such as horses and cow's that can get Anthrax,Equine Infectious Anemia and disentary. which the stable fly (dogfly) does carry. fortunetly they don't transmit to humans.

The statement "you care about" probably says it all! It fails me to understand why they use pest contol on their cats and dogs, in their houses, use repellant on themselves, but the dogfly plane is taboo!

savvytangerine

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
30-A since before I could walk
The statement "you care about" probably says it all! It fails me to understand why they use pest contol on their cats and dogs, in their houses, use repellant on themselves, but the dogfly plane is taboo!

Random fact: I use natural repellants on my kitties and myself. They do exist. :wave:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
2 yrs 30 to 40 counts someone will be spraying you again!!!. Id put money on that unless they come up with a better way. as i said before i don't like dibrom either but unless you come up with a better well working way i think your in for more spray. which may be by the state still with hired private contractors instead of it's own plane. or worse the airforces C-130

Did Walton County ever make the counts to qualify for spraying? I had heard that BCC permission was requested before the need had arisen.