• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
We are deploying to LA tomorrow with supplies for Katrina animal rescue. There are still 50-100k animals that have been without food or water since Katrina that are trapped in buildings or scared on the streets. The situation is deplorable for many people's pets who still have hopes of reuniting. Rescuers are on the scene retrieving abandoned animals on a daily basis but they desperately need supplies. This is not meant to be a debate about people leaving their animals. They had to. One lady wouldn't leave without her dog so the sherriff shot her pet in front of her. Children had their pets ripped from their arms at evac centers and 2 rooms of evacuated pets were found shot yesterday. Please no judgements, just help. We will be dropping off supplies at 2 different rescues. I know it's short notice but if anyone in S Walton would like to donate supplies to assist in this effort please email or call me and I will try to pick up or have you drop off to me in Seacrest. Any help is appreciated.

By far, the biggest need is cages especially collapsible ones as our space is limited.

The 2 organizations have many other items on their wish list including:

batteries (AA, AAA, C, and D)
bolt cutters
cable ties (assorted sizes)
cat collars (break away style)
clamps (extra large size)
CD-R's (rewriteable)
collapsible wire cages (extra large size)
dog leashes and collars (news ones only in all sizes)
duct tape
ear plugs (disposable)
extension cords (heavy duty outdoor approved - 100 foot long)
first aid kits for animals and people
grooming clippers (electric)
hand held radios (at least a 2 mile radius)
hand sanitizer gel
heating pads
labels (1" x 2-5/8" - white)
labels (2" x 4" - white)
misting systems (portable)
muzzles (assorted sizes)
Polaroid 600 camera and film
printer cartridges (Hewlett Packard numbers 56 and 57)
Sharpie pens (black and red - fine and wide point)
spot lights that plug into automobile cigarette lighters
staples (heavy duty - for tacking up flyers)
staplers (heavy duty - for tacking up flyers)
surgical gloves (disposable)
tarps (assorted sizes)
Zip Lock bags (extra large size)

• harnesses
  • canned cat and dog food
  • feeding utensils
  • disposable litter pans and cat litter
  • zip-lock bags, 1 gallon size
  • paper towels
  • sheets and towels
  • locks
  • industrial-sized fans (36" or larger)
  • extra-long heavy-duty extension cords
  • Polaroid 600 film (for documenting animals' identity)
  • water hoses and spray nozzles
  • latex gloves
  • cotton balls
  • pharmaceuticals
  • medical supplies (e.g., syringes, IV bags, etc.)
  • trash bags, 50 gallon size
  • pooper scoopers
  • flashlights with batteries
  • Batteries.. Cadmium AA - Rechargeable
For the volunteers: Volunteers must get vaccinations! (Tetanus.. Hepatitis A.).

• bottled water
  • gatorade, high energy drinks
  • non-perishable snacks
  • Jerky, dried fruit, snack bars
  • Sea-rations Get this from an army-supply store!
Critical equipment needs:

• Two way radios... Extra long range.
  • Generators
  • Extra long extension cords.
  • Laptop computers, 2 needed (Windows OS)
  • High-speed heavy-use photocopy machine (small size)
  • High-speed printer, preferably HP laser (small size)
  • Fax machine/printer/scanner combo with extra ink.
My cell is 727-487-3532 but the service has been terrible since the storm. You may need to dial several times. thanks

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
Wow! I'm calling my vet right now to see if I can help in our area. Thanks for the post. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys, you are doing an amazing thing!

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
We've heard that the government is going to begin going into certain areas and bulldozing the homes, many of which might still have live animals in them. I've been in contact with the MASH unit on the ground and they are in desperate need of crates to pull these animals out. If you know of anyone who might have a dog or cat crate that they might be willing to part with, please call my cell at 727-487-3532. Or if you know where we can buy used crates. We'll be trying to collect things in the morning and heading out in the afternoon some time. Thanks,

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Just confirmed that we won't be leaving until Sunday morning so anyone that has any supplies that they'd like us to bring, I'll be up till late tonight gathering things.

Jay and Trudi, THANK YOU SO MUCH. :clap_1: Since I have an extra day, I am leaving in a few minutes to scour thrift stores, big lots etc before going retail :D Always been a bargain shopper. I'm hoping to get about 5-10 cages just from you guys which means 5-10 chances for life because of you. I will keep you posted. I just don't know how to thank you yet but I promise that I will make the most use possible with your donation. Stay tuned

Any Vets or Docs out there, they need good flea meds (not Hartz), and various vet meds - you know better than I do what they'd need. They've specifically mentioned Clavamox for some reason. A large portion of the dogs have heartworm which they seeem to be treating (if that's possible).

Anybody else that has ANYTHING, plastic bowls, collars, leashes, blankets, toys ANYTHING (see wish list below) to make these poor scared guys more comfortable - my cell is 727-487-3532. Thanks

Last edited:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Katrina Animal Rescue Photos and thanks

Have returned from my animal rescue trip to NOLA. I was with a wonderful no-kill foundation called Muttshack that was staged at a school on the other side of the levy in the north 9th ward (one of the last areas to allow people). Thanks to your help Jay and Trudy, we brought 25 cages, 35 collars, 30 bowls, shampoo, lots of water and a few toys. I must apologize but it was such a mess when I left (trying to get everything together) that I can't seem to find your card. I won't forget your kindness and will be forever grateful for your help. Please email me so I can take you to lunch.

The worst were the millions of flies (worse that yellow flies) and the mosquitos. We slept in a tent. No lights, no toilets, no water. The area was still not open to the public and the national guard kept a close watch on us. We even got invited to their staging area for some warm food towards the end of my stay. I'm so thankful for this experience and what little I could do. We had lots of sweet babies who were so scared and lost. Most made it.

For those that care to look and have the stomach, we've got REAL life photos (not just media stuff) uploaded at snapfish. Some of the photos are VERY graphic so don't go there if you can't stand to see very hurt or dead animals. There are also photos of our rescue area and some of the homes that we rescued these wonderful animals from. There are about 800 photos and if you set the speed to fast, they will take about 10 minutes. The link is:

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=434191129754553554/l=63867816/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

What I learned is that the worst danger to animals in a storm are chemicals. The cat with no skin on his little back had chemical burns. We had to put him down. The cat with the chemical burns on his face and the dog with the corneal burns both made it, and are doing fine. One dog came in after 29 days locked in a house yet she looked quite porky. She had been eating potato chips and fritos for 29 days and must have retained fluid from all the salt :clap_1: . Please don't ever leave your pets if you evacuate, even if you think you'll be back tomorrow. Don't ever leave them chained to ANYTHING or locked up in a garage. If you could only see their fear when they are found lying on your bed waiting for you, you wouldn't think twice.

For anyone who wants to help. You can do so from the comfort of your home right on your computer. There are many people searching for their pets and you can help search the numerous databases to help them find them. I was fortunate enough to witness several reunions and you can make a big difference in the life of someone who has lost everything if you help them find their best friend, Email me and I'll connect you.

Hope to make it back but it's not looking good for the next couple of months but after 2 years of red tape trying to volunteer through FEMA, I'm so glad that I found such a worthy cause that really wants the help of volunteers and gets you on the ground in days. Now it's back to work with a much more appreciative attitude towards everything that I have.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
There should be more people in the world like you. What a wonderful thing you did for those animals. You will be blessed, many times over!!!! :clap_1:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
kathydwells said:
There should be more people in the world like you. What a wonderful thing you did for those animals. You will be blessed, many times over!!!! :clap_1:

DITTO what Kathy said.

Suncat

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2005
Tennessee
Re: Katrina Animal Rescue Photos and thanks

Cork On the Ocean said:
Have returned from my animal rescue trip to NOLA. I was with a wonderful no-kill foundation called Muttshack that was staged at a school on the other side of the levy in the north 9th ward (one of the last areas to allow people). Thanks to your help Jay and Trudy, we brought 25 cages, 35 collars, 30 bowls, shampoo, lots of water and a few toys. I must apologize but it was such a mess when I left (trying to get everything together) that I can't seem to find your card. I won't forget your kindness and will be forever grateful for your help. Please email me so I can take you to lunch.

The worst were the millions of flies (worse that yellow flies) and the mosquitos. We slept in a tent. No lights, no toilets, no water. The area was still not open to the public and the national guard kept a close watch on us. We even got invited to their staging area for some warm food towards the end of my stay. I'm so thankful for this experience and what little I could do. We had lots of sweet babies who were so scared and lost. Most made it.

For those that care to look and have the stomach, we've got REAL life photos (not just media stuff) uploaded at snapfish. Some of the photos are VERY graphic so don't go there if you can't stand to see very hurt or dead animals. There are also photos of our rescue area and some of the homes that we rescued these wonderful animals from. There are about 800 photos and if you set the speed to fast, they will take about 10 minutes. The link is:

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=434191129754553554/l=63867816/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

What I learned is that the worst danger to animals in a storm are chemicals. The cat with no skin on his little back had chemical burns. We had to put him down. The cat with the chemical burns on his face and the dog with the corneal burns both made it, and are doing fine. One dog came in after 29 days locked in a house yet she looked quite porky. She had been eating potato chips and fritos for 29 days and must have retained fluid from all the salt :clap_1: . Please don't ever leave your pets if you evacuate, even if you think you'll be back tomorrow. Don't ever leave them chained to ANYTHING or locked up in a garage. If you could only see their fear when they are found lying on your bed waiting for you, you wouldn't think twice.

For anyone who wants to help. You can do so from the comfort of your home right on your computer. There are many people searching for their pets and you can help search the numerous databases to help them find them. I was fortunate enough to witness several reunions and you can make a big difference in the life of someone who has lost everything if you help them find their best friend, Email me and I'll connect you.

Hope to make it back but it's not looking good for the next couple of months but after 2 years of red tape trying to volunteer through FEMA, I'm so glad that I found such a worthy cause that really wants the help of volunteers and gets you on the ground in days. Now it's back to work with a much more appreciative attitude towards everything that I have.

You are truly a wonderful, wonderful person. :clap_1: :clap_1:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
No guys, not wonderful just aware of how bad things are and have to help. If anyone has media or celebrity contacts that can get attention, please help with some of the horrors going on. Just got an email that rescued dogs are being stolen from the rescue shelters and being fought to death close enough for rescuers to hear.:sosad: Just don't understand what kind of people these can be. Info at:

http://www.ericsdogblog.com/

Thanks to all of you.

beach lover

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
So proud to know there are people who still care and give their personal time to do it! The conditions & surrroundings must have been tough, but many thanks for your efforts and tender loving care of these babies. No lunch is needed. J. & Trudy