• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
You could always use a pecan half or a cherry inserted from the underside just before serving in place of the baby. The King Cake has evolved over the last 15 years or so. When I was a wee lad they were all simple rings with a bit of cinnamin flavor, sprinkled with the purple, gold and green sugar. At some point in the 1980s they began to be injected with all manner of sweet or fruit filling. They also began to drizzle icing on the cake. I still like mine the old way (dunked in a glass of cold milk!). During January and February we used to have king cake parties at the end of school on Fridays...all the kids in the class ate the cake and whoever got the baby brought next Friday's cake.
That's funny. Brings back some fond memories. I always gave Mardi Gras parties for my daughter's class until she got to high school and was too cool for it. I'd bring King Cakes, Mardi Gras beads, doubloons, and masks, and the kids would do a second line down the halls of the school, with me at the end of the line carrying a cassette player with "Mardi Gras Mambo" playing on it.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I made up a Mardi Gras Mix for Skunky.

1. Iko Iko The Dixie Cups
2. New Suit The Wild Magnolias
3. They All Ask'd For You The Meters
4. Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Kermit Ruffins
5. Second Line Charmaine Neville
6. Skip To My Blues Buckwheat Zydeco
7. Ya Ya Lee Dorsey
8. Whole Lotta Lovin' Fats Domino
9. Ain't Get No Home Clarence "Frogman" Henry
10. Row Row Your Boat Dr. John
11. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie Clifton Chenier
12. When The Saints Go Marchin' In Hack Barholomew
13. Mardi Gras Mambo The Meters
14. If Ever I Cease to Love A. J. Loria

I love Mardi Gras music.

Oh, and I have the best mail order King Cake source -- really fresh and good because they are a great little neighborhood bakery and they don't do the mass production thing.

http://www.julieannesbakery.com/Mardi_Gras_King_Cakes_C1.cfm

Cream cheese filled is my favorite.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I made up a Mardi Gras Mix for Skunky.

1. Iko Iko The Dixie Cups​

2. New Suit The Wild Magnolias​

3. They All Ask'd For You The Meters​

4. Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Kermit Ruffins​

5. Second Line Charmaine Neville​

6. Skip To My Blues Buckwheat Zydeco​

7. Ya Ya Lee Dorsey​

8. Whole Lotta Lovin' Fats Domino​

9. Ain't Get No Home Clarence "Frogman" Henry​

10. Row Row Your Boat Dr. John​

11. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie Clifton Chenier​

12. When The Saints Go Marchin' In Hack Barholomew​

13. Mardi Gras Mambo The Meters​

14. If Ever I Cease to Love A. J. Loria​

I love Mardi Gras music.

Oh, and I have the best mail order King Cake source -- really fresh and good because they are a great little neighborhood bakery and they don't do the mass production thing.

http://www.julieannesbakery.com/Mardi_Gras_King_Cakes_C1.cfm

Cream cheese filled is my favorite.

I love Mardi Gras music too! That was a nice thing you did for Skunky.
Punzy, have you made a King Cake? Tell me how to make the cc filling if you know.

Coffeeon30a

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2007
Hey pjs coffee is having them shipped in from a bakery in N.O,
we will be selling them whole or by the slice, or we can order whatever you need!!!

daisy

Beach Comber
Jul 20, 2007
I just saw an ad in the Walton Sun from P.J.'s Coffee saying they have King Cakes. Page c-9 bottom right.

My husband goes in there everyday and our daughter recently started working there and yet I didn't know this.;-)