• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
drsvelte, your interesting and detailed description of the Chicago-style hot dog interested me. Can't believe I've never had one on my many trips to Chicago! Anyhow, I started Googling "hot dogs." The following was on Wikipedia -- never heard this before.:dunno:

Some Americans believe that a properly made hot dog should never be topped with ketchup. Often these people believe the flavor of ketchup overpowers and destroys the taste of the hot dog instead of complementing it. In Chicago, some restaurants and hot dog stands that consider themselves to be "true" Chicago hot dog grills do not, as a rule, carry ketchup in stock, even if they serve other food items that use this condiment, such as French fries. The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, in its tongue-in-cheek recommendations for proper Hot Dog Etiquette capitulate only slightly to the public's general regard for ketchup, saying, "Don't use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18." (This alludes to the fact that many children like ketchup on their hot dogs due to the sweet taste, but adults are expected to have a more sophisticated palate).

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
For what it is worth. H&M Hot Dogs on 9th St in DeFuniak Springs makes a mean Chicago style hot dog. That was the first place I ever had one, and I have been a convert ever since, now I know where to get the fixins' to do it at home.

Thanks!

WaltonGop

Thanks for the tip. I was in DFS this afternoon and made a special trip to H&M......absolutely loved it. The place bustling with activity and it seemed like a hangout from yesteryear. HAD A SLAW DOG and BACON CHEESEBURGER !!! I was a two fested fresser.

WaltonGop

Thanks for the tip. I was in DFS this afternoon and made a special trip to H&M......absolutely loved it. The place bustling with activity and it seemed like a hangout from yesteryear. HAD A SLAW DOG and BACON CHEESEBURGER !!! I was a two fested fresser.
Where on Ninth street? Near the hardware store? The hot pink ladies' clothing store? The state fair site? The florist? The UF ag satellite?

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Very close to the rr tracks. Can't miss it. there will be a crowd of people milling about waiting for their orders to be filled.

SandSquatter

Beach Comber
Dec 20, 2007
Mouth watered when I saw someone post something so close to my heart (or stomach) and thought that someone might have opened up a stand here.

I grew up on the Chicago dog from the best little place just outside of Chicago near Arlington Heights called Jimmy's. After we moved down here and realized that you couldn't get the Vienna dogs it hurt...bad. Although,over the last few years, I've been lucky enough to have friends and family ship'em to me including the relish.

Can't get enough of em. Tops Burgers in FWB used to do the real Chicago dogs but then realized it cost too much to ship the Vienna beef and then went to the regular hot dogs we get at the grocery. boooo

We need someone to do it here. I know my dad and I will be the best customers.

beach blessings

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2008
Hey, we have a new Hot Dog Restaurant opening in Mystic Point @ Grayton Beach. Greg Smith's (owned Salty's Dog in Blue Maountain and BBQ in Santa Rosa Beach on 98) dream has always been to have a hot dog joint...well, sounds like he has done it. Don't know when it is set to open...anyone know the details?

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Mouth watered when I saw someone post something so close to my heart (or stomach) and thought that someone might have opened up a stand here.

I grew up on the Chicago dog from the best little place just outside of Chicago near Arlington Heights called Jimmy's. After we moved down here and realized that you couldn't get the Vienna dogs it hurt...bad. Although,over the last few years, I've been lucky enough to have friends and family ship'em to me including the relish.

Can't get enough of em. Tops Burgers in FWB used to do the real Chicago dogs but then realized it cost too much to ship the Vienna beef and then went to the regular hot dogs we get at the grocery. boooo

We need someone to do it here. I know my dad and I will be the best customers.
Heyyyy, I know Jimmy's very well. We live in Arl. Hts. Mr. JR and the son eat there a few times a year. Still looks exactly like it always has. Jimmy's beats Portillos any day! :clap: