• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
Arkiehawg,

Coming down in April with freinds, riding the City of New Orleans (Drink, don't drive:D:D:D).

Been a while since we were in the City. Hows about a trip report so we knows what's good?:dunno:

Will Do!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
OK, let me turn you on to three breakfast spots besides the usual suspects:

Tout de Suite coffeehouse on Verret in Algiers Point. Take the free ferry ride to Algiers Point (get on the boat at the foot of Canal St) and the restaurant is a short walk through a very nice neighborhood. Great traditional breakfast, casual and cheap.

Coffee Pot on St Peter-I have never been, but I hear they serve solid traditional fare as well as Creole breakfast dishes you can't get anywhere else. Casual and cheap.

Elizabeth's-This is about 10 minutes from the Ritz in the Bywater neighborhood on the corner of Chartres and Gallier Streets(Chartres runs along the river). It is worth the drive just to see the architecture in Bywater and Fauburg Marigny. Elizabeth's fare is a bit more upscale (but it is not snooty or expensive by any means). We always went for brunch on Sunday morning.

Lunch and Dinner to follow...

full time

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2006
Hard to argue with Jacques-Imo's (take a cab). Get there early if you want a seat and then go to the Maple Leaf next door for live music. Down the street from there on Dante Street is Brightsen's which I consider the best restaurant in the city. Try P&G's on Baronne Street (between Canal and Poydras) for a great shrimp po-boy. Remoulades on Bourbon Street is a good mid-priced oyster bar. It's run by Arnouds (which is good high-end restaurant). You'll never go wrong with Friday lunch at Galatoire's. Might want to pay someone to stand in line (no reservations). Drago's in the Hilton would be another good call. Famous for the oysters.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
ate at K-Pauls last week, killer dinner! Tom Fitzsimmons newslettr is fwee and a good read if you are a foodie! Have fun in NO y'all!

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Galatoire's has always been my favorite NOLA restaurant but I haven't been since prior to Katrina. In October 2005, Galatoire's opened Galatoire's Bistro in Baton Rouge. This was meet with a great deal of anticipation and excitement. Our first visit was about a month after opening and it was unremarkable - overcooked pompano, cold sides, high prices. With thought this was just a fluke and returned several more times with even more disappointing results (the bread is still great though :D). There is no way I could recommend Galitoire's in Baton Rouge. I have no idea if the NOLA Galatoire's is suffering similar maladies.

Call me a tourista, but the entire Svelte family loves Brennan's. We go at least once a year. I get the same thing every time: turtle soup then Eggs Shannon (bed of creamed spinach, topped with a fried trout filet which is covered by two pouched eggs and hollendaise. Great crispy bread which makes the table a mess. Then they force me to finish with Bananas Foster. Jeez, it is sooo hard. :D

miaandsashasmom

Beach Comber
May 26, 2007
Dick and Jenny's on Tchoupitoulas has a great food and a wonderful atmosphere. I second Jacque-i-mos - it's like no where else in the world. We don't miss going to either on our visits back home. Palace Cafe on Canal Street is really good as well.

We lived there all of our lives until Katrina, and miss it dearly. It's a wonderful city! Have fun.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
:shock: Geez, I just noticed that I haven't been to NOLA "after Katrina" yet. Hafta pencil it in. Anyway...a place that we really enjoyed was called "Irene's." I wasn't sure if it was open or still good, so I Googled it and came up with some recent reveiws. Apparently it is open and is as good as ever.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...ews=1&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=result

It does get crowded (as most of the great places are); I would recommend getting to dinner early and then watch the cast of characters show up--very popular with the locals.

<Had the duck....it was excellent!>

Last edited:
Here are my votes:

Elizabeth's - Gallier Sr. (Faubourg Marigny) --> Great food; good prices -- lots of locals

Ralph Brennan's Bacco - Chartres St. (French Quarter) --> Lobster & Shrimp Ravioli - to die for

The Gumbo Shop - St. Peter St. (French Quarter) --> Bowl of gumbo and an ice-cold Dixie Beer on tap

Central Grocery - Decatur St. (French Quarter) --> Home of the best muffaletta in the world!

Drago's - Poydras St. Hilton (Downtown Hilton) --> You just can't beat the chargrilled oysters

seaside2

Beach Fanatic
Apr 2, 2007
All over the place
Ok, hawgman, where's the trip report?:dunno:

Pics, we want pics.:D

Get cracking here or you are in deep doo.