• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Ever since I took Bailey down to the shore this morning in seacrest, I've been coughing all day, sometimes sniffling, with intermittent light headaches. There were dead fish in the sand --not a huge amount, but dozens visible-- and the water was murky. One large section was actually maroon red. Never seen that before. If it looks like red tide, feels like red tide and smells like red tide, could it be....? I thought it was gone. :dunno: There is a light breeze from the south today. Anyone else seeing this?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I got a hint of it today but also had the poison plane fly over my head 3 times so that might have been it. I wouldn't be surprised if it wat RT since the wind has been steady onshore for awhile now.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Whew-- no doubt about it now. We just tried to bike, and started sneezing wheezing and coughing non stop. Two people I passed who heard me choking said "you know that's the red tide, right?". From here it looks like just a pocket of algae though...water looks better in the distance on either side of our neighborhood. I'm sure we can find some clear air a short drive away.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I've been smelling it (faintly fishy odor, it seems) since noon, and sneezing since 3:00. But the DC-3 carpet-bombed my house twice today, as well.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Just got back from tennis lessons at Rosemary. 20 kids, 3 coaches, and 10 parents were hacking away. Looks like its back.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The wave activity from Wilma probably stirred it up again. There are sections of bloom throughout the gulf. The persistent north wind the last couple weeks has kept it offshore.

If there is one positive, K. brevis cannot survive in cooler waters, so as the water temps dip below 70 within the next six weeks or so, that should kill it for good. The front coming through on Saturday should improve things a bit.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yesterday, I was in Panama City and noticed (light coughing) the Red Tide near the Bay.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
OMG...IT'S BACK!!! I have been sickish feeling ever since I was out with Molly and had the poison bomb...just went down for sunset and made it half way down the boardwalk, saw red flag and Molly started sneezing uncontrollably! People coming up said it was bad...we hightailed it back inside. It's everything bad I had heard...sore throat, itchy nose and eyes, and coughing. YUCK DUDE!!!! The waves have kicked up, so that is probably the answer.