• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

sowalvisitor

Beach Crab
Jan 17, 2008
Re: Big blue signs in SoWal [merged poll]

I'm not sure who Tracy is but I was a visitor and my feedback is far from positive. Sure, visitors like to have information on where they are and where they are going (frankly if they get lost on 30A, they are not paying attention) but if people designed signs for visitors only at the expense of the local people who must live with these signs every day, all of the signs in America would be as ugly as those on 30A. Some visitors like traditional low key signage that preserves the atmosphere and heritage of the area. These despicable blue signs take away from that. So tell Tracy this is one visitor who says "GET RID OF THE SIGNS@!"

janshops

Beach Comber
May 8, 2007
blue signs

The signs could be resold to Pier Park in Bay County. They would fit right in... bolted into asphalt and pointing the way from Target to Dillards.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Re: blue signs

Grayt idea. They look like they were made by the same folks as the big giant beach ball. :D Very similar tastes.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

So, if Shelly's note that Kris Titus is reSIGNing, from her position at the TDC, to whom should we now direct our emails with sign comments?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

So, if Shelly's note that Kris Titus is reSIGNing, from her position at the TDC, to whom should we now direct our emails with sign comments?

Why not get the list of the board of directors of the TDC and email them? These are local folks, and business people, who I am pretty sure would not be too happy to be associated with something that so many in sowal dislike.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

We hope that the community will come to see the value that these
wayfinding signs provide to our visitors.
Sincerely,
Tracy

Lookee here Tracy...I'll make an effort to not close my eyes as I drive past these big blue signs--but only if you agree to stop using the phrase "wayfinding signage"....deal?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've looked at the signs a bit more and I'm starting to like them -- NOT!!!
Seriously, I think changing the color from Grabber Blue, to a neutral SeaOats-tan color would help tremendously. I'm not a fan of the bus stop look, but I realize that they aren't going to spend another $260K on new signs, so I propose a change of color of the posts and boarder of the signs, to see how that looks. The TDC could keep even keep their red and white marketing umbrellas.

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Apr 26, 2006
I have a real issue with the sign that's just south of the 331 bridge that says, "Welcome to Walton County / Home to the Beaches of South Walton" as if the people haven't been DRIVING through Walton County for the past 40 minutes to get to the beaches. . .I think it's in complete distaste, but I was willing to overlook it, then last night I was driving out to Watersound and COULD NOT get over how HIDEOUS those signs look. I normally drive an SUV, which I'm assuming would make it easier to read one of the 15 foot tall signs, but last night I was in a car and almost had to smash my head up against the windshield to read what the tall signs said. I wonder who in the hell didn't get fired for making them so tall (and paying for them) in the first place.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
She resigned, according to Shelly, but I doubt that was due to the signs. I've seen the sign on 331 bridge but I don't believe I read it, because I would have questioned that too. As for the readability of directional signs, I have to smash my head against the windshield to read them, too, and that is in the day time. I bet you cannot even see them at night, especially with oncoming traffic.