• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The forum in DeFuniak Springs and the information I have seen states that the TPP deduction does apply to schools. Patrick Pilcher says that will remove over 90% of the businesses from paying the tax each year.
Did you read the ballot, when you voted? I am pretty certain that mine read that it didn't apply to the taxes going to the school.

jlweathers

Beach Lover
May 2, 2007
$98 in Walton County at the current millage rates. But taxes and insurance, while both are common problems that CC states he is fixing, are two seperate issues.

correct in that they are seperate issues....but insurance reform much like the proposed tax reform is additional evidence that the proposals are relatively ineffective in accomploshing what the politicians would have you believe they will do.

Average valuation in Walton County went up over 50% in 2004 and has risen over 10% a couple of years after that. While it is not going to happen this year, under current standards, if a particular neighborhood were to get 'hot' again, it is possible without the cap for this protection to be needed.

this speaks to my point as to why this is irrelevant. 10% appreciation will not occur anytime in the near future & likely should not ever occur. further, i am not out to protect people in "hot" neighberhoods but rather floridians in general

Over 90% in Walton County. But the costs to have the paperwork completed usually far outstrip the tax. It is a nuisance. I do not see why something should be kept since it is a small amount.

i believe you are correct that the cost/benefit is inefficient; so don't sell this as reform & how much you are doing for small business owners.

And hopefully they will take this as a sign of displeasure instead of just an indication that the current system is not as broke as they thought.

the mechanism to ensure that my "no" vote is not misinterpreted is simply being vocal....& i will let them know of my displeasure....will they listen & what great plan will they come up with next are the only questions.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Did you read the ballot, when you voted? I am pretty certain that mine read that it didn't apply to the taxes going to the school.

Only some portions of the amendment will not affect school taxes.

The #2 (Portability) and #3 ($25k tangible property exemption) portions of the amendment WILL directly affect schools.

Broward county projects losing 144.5 million tax dollars over the next 5 years if this is passed. They also project they will have to layoff 1200 employees the first year.

Check out these websites for further information.
http://www.btuonline.com/PTAC_2007_home.htm
http://www.browardschools.com/info/tax_reform.htm

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I find it best to vote against amendments unless there is a reason to vote for them.

I forgot to update this after I went to the WCTA meeting last week. I still think it is better not to keep making changes by constitutional amendment, but in this case have decided to vote YES.

I believe the legislature will just throw up their hands and claim they really tried if it doesn't pass. I would hope they would go back and try again, but just don't believe they will. The portability and the tangible personal property tax parts are certainly better than nothing. Voting yes will not stop the work of the Florida Taxation and Budget Reform Committee.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I forgot to update this after I went to the WCTA meeting last week. I still think it is better not to keep making changes by constitutional amendment, but in this case have decided to vote YES.

I believe the legislature will just throw up their hands and claim they really tried if it doesn't pass. I would hope they would go back and try again, but just don't believe they will. The portability and the tangible personal property tax parts are certainly better than nothing. Voting yes will not stop the work of the Florida Taxation and Budget Reform Committee.
I am of the opinion that it will go just the other way and the legislature, in their infinite wisdom, will say, "There, we fixed that problem!" and move on. I'd rather be able to call them and hound them to do something worthwhile after the amendment is defeated. Also, why can't it be a piece of legislation instead of an amendment to the Constitution? When pigs, bullet trains and class size become part of a state's Constitution, something is wrong with the legisative process in that state. Our legislature can and should be REQUIRED to do better.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I am of the opinion that it will go just the other way and the legislature, in their infinite wisdom, will say, "There, we fixed that problem!" and move on. I'd rather be able to call them and hound them to do something worthwhile after the amendment is defeated. Also, why can't it be a piece of legislation instead of an amendment to the Constitution? When pigs, bullet trains and class size become part of a state's Constitution, something is wrong with the legisative process in that state. Our legislature can and should be REQUIRED to do better.

I understand your point of view as well.

The pregnant pig thing was what first turned me off of amendments. I can't remember what all was on the ballot that time, but it seems like there were maybe 11. I may have voted yes on one - keeping the death penalty? maybe. As it turned out, if I'm remembering correctly, all but one - maybe two - did pass. I was so disappointed. It is almost as if once it is on the ballot, it doesn't even have to make sense to pass.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I liked the pregnant pig one because of unintended consequences. Those kinds of pig farms produce huge amounts of, um, pig waste. Like farmhands occasional drown in the 'lagoons' level of pig waste. Which is the last thing we need getting into potable water sources down here.

So I saw a yes vote on the pig ammendment as more of an additional way of protecting drinking water sources than anything else.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I liked the pregnant pig one because of unintended consequences. Those kinds of pig farms produce huge amounts of, um, pig waste. Like farmhands occasional drown in the 'lagoons' level of pig waste. Which is the last thing we need getting into potable water sources down here.

So I saw a yes vote on the pig ammendment as more of an additional way of protecting drinking water sources than anything else.

At least two sides to every story.

Just curious - what were the "unintended consequences?" Did the amendment help this problem?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
At least two sides to every story.

Just curious - what were the "unintended consequences?" Did the amendment help this problem?

The one pig farm that was doing it is now closed. Wonder if those workers found another job? Pork prices went up. That has to be a good thing cause pork is probably not the best thing for people to eat. And obesity is a problem in this country, so people not being able to afford food due to an increase in government regulation is probably a good thing.

I guess I need to go back to work and quit trying to be funny this afternoon.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The pig ammendment prevented an industry that produces large amounts of hazardous waste, and that is generally not well regulated compared to other types of haz-mat producing industries from setting up shop in the state.

If the Carolinas or Iowa want to deal with the kinds of problems assocaited with that type of farming, then, hey, farmland for that type of hog production is probably cheaper there anyways.