• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007
OK we now have signs that are very user friendly. Visible and correct information. (Being fairly new to the area I had at times wondered were I was at "Seaside/Seagrove... etc etc... )I mean we found the signs eventually those low to the ground pale wooden signs. Placed in odd places along 30-A.
Now I drive without wondering what area I am in and what areas are in front of me....;-)
there are only two roads 30a and hwy98,how lost can one get?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal

I have no idea how you get lost on 30-A/98 (and that's coming from someone who regularly gets lost in her hometown), but apparently it is a serious problem that HAD to be addressed! :D

Stay tuned next month when we erect MORE signs explaining the concept of a 3 or 4 way stop ;-).

Seriously though, the signs don't tell you where anything is - hospital, police, public parks, hurricane evacuation routes etc. - just the borders of what I consider to be neighborhoods.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis

And the roads that connect 98 to 30A. I can understand the dislike of the design of the signs, but I really do not understand why anyone thinks that everyone that comes to the area knows where things are located. I would not want to drive from one end of 30-A to the other, trying to find Blue Mountain Beach area.

But you know I will leave you to the sign bashing and for that matter tourist bashing. It is obvious to me, some just like to complain about anything that changes.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
And the roads that connect 98 to 30A. I can understand the dislike of the design of the signs, but I really do not understand why anyone thinks that everyone that comes to the area knows where things are located. I would not want to drive from one end of 30-A to the other, trying to find Blue Mountain Beach area.

But you know I will leave you to the sign bashing and for that matter tourist bashing. It is obvious to me, some just like to complain about anything that changes.

indeed. ;-)

ventana

Beach Crab
Jan 21, 2008
Hideous, truly hideous. If anyone is going to Disney World soon, check out if Tomorrowland is missing a few signs. I swear that's where they came from. Seriously - "Blue Mountain".... "Space Mountain"...think about it!

I'm thinking the real tall signs are for when the TDC completes its next brilliant project - the 30-A monorail - because you need to be on an elevated track to read the stupid things.

What were they thinking??????

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Minnie, most of us who dislike the signs can appreciate the benefits which tourists bring to this area. That is not an issue with the signs. The TDC stated one reason for the signs was to bring the many beach communities together as one. They have not done that and cannot do that, just by erecting matching signs. Communities are made of people, and the private communities which have recently been trying to become even more private, are not buying into the concept of ONE single Beaches of South Walton Community. There are plenty of free maps available all over, including in the free phone books available at Publix. Also, many tourists have often asked me for directions. Had one today who was driving through Grayton, "Where is the Red Barn?" I think they would have figured it out by driving a couple hundred more yards, but I gladly obliged with an answer. I have no problem with having some tasteful signs to designate known areas, but to have one for each development, might be stretching it. Other than the small block lettering on the directional signs, the actual signs don't bother me. The massive poles on bolted to the connecting anchor posts, doesn't look good at all, and the color of the posts is hideous for those scattered along most of the 30A signs. I think the color does go well with the TDC building, but the TDC buildings are not beside each of these roadside signs. For the signs at the beaches, such as the one on the beach at Grayton, I think the color looks good, because of the complimentary colors surrounding it. Again, the actual sign (not the posts), is an attractive dark blue, and a warmer sandy tone for the posts would look much better, and would compliment the colors of the actual signs.

janshops

Beach Comber
May 8, 2007
Hating the signs seems to be bringing the the different beach communities together. Maybe we are more united than we think.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hating the signs seems to be bringing the the different beach communities together. Maybe we are more united than we think.
Very interesting observation. Where is our community found? Is it in SoWal? It is on the internet. Sure, some of this online community has found ties in the physical area of SoWal and people in the area of SoWal, but it is a community which is actually found on the internet. How cool would it be if, rather than the rare occasion when people join together for fellowship or dinner, we actually had a centralized community where we physically saw each other, like a normal small community. I see more friends and acquaintances at the WaterColor Publix and the Red Bar, than any other place. That is not what I call ONE community. As I said in an early post on the Kris Titus is leaving thread, SoWal.com/bb community has more of that centralized feeling of community than the Beaches of South Walton, and we'd be more connected if the signs all read SoWal.com.