• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
has anyone read the headlines on Citizens Property ins. woes...had them for years...does anyone insure w/them...any experiences w/them...are there other alternatives, etc...Red

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
redfisher said:
has anyone read the headlines on Citizens Property ins. woes...had them for years...does anyone insure w/them...any experiences w/them...are there other alternatives, etc...Red

Nope, but my State Farm bill just came and again, it has increased. This time it went up only 48%. :bang:

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
SJ, does state farm do your wind, flood and hurricane...the problem w/citizens seems to be not only crooked execs but an unwillingness to pay from all of 2004...Red

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Red - From what I have been told - Citizens is the insurance of last resort - If no other company will take you Citizens has too. If they can find someone else to cover you - you get moved on to another company. After our Ivan claim (not very large) we got moved to Citizens - about 5 mos later I was given notice that I had been moved to another company. We had about 9000.00 worth of damage from Ivan and if I had to do it over again I think I wouldn't have filed a claim.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I don't think State Farm will insure people who live close to the water (we are about 200 yards and I think they said they don't insure people that close to the water). We have State Farm in Michigan and think they are very good and have responded to our claims quickly when needed. We have citizen's for wind insurance but I thought they were the only company to offer wind insurance and that they are backed by the government. What other companies provide wind/hurricane insurance? Thanks, this is a good year to revisit insurance policies, isn't it?!?!?

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Paula said:
I don't think State Farm will insure people who live close to the water (we are about 200 yards and I think they said they don't insure people that close to the water). We have State Farm in Michigan and think they are very good and have responded to our claims quickly when needed. We have citizen's for wind insurance but I thought they were the only company to offer wind insurance and that they are backed by the government. What other companies provide wind/hurricane insurance? Thanks, this is a good year to revisit insurance policies, isn't it?!?!?

Yes our broker in Seagrove told us the same thing that Citizens is the only one that does wind now in Fla since all of the others went belly up since last few Hurricane seasons. So, unless that was bunk, we are stuck with Citizens until they all go to jail and then what? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Paula said:
Right. State Farm won't insure people like me who are close to the water. I know people (one of which is related to me) who have paid a boatload of money for beach-view property but haven't started building because :puke: they know they won't be able to get insurance.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Beach Runner said:
Right. State Farm won't insure people like me who are close to the water. I know people (one of which is related to me) who have paid a boatload of money for beach-view property but haven't started building because :puke: they know they won't be able to get insurance.

You are correct. State Farm, (Allstate and Nationwide, too - I think) will not insure property located within 2000 feet from the Gulf nor within 500 ft from the Bay. Today, I heard two people who said they have been dropped from their Inusrance company. I am not sure which company they were using.

sarahj

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2005
Arkansas/Fl.
www.vrbo.com
This is just in the thinking, talking stage, but we are considering not renewing our policy. The lot is worth more than we paid for the house and lot. Anyone else considering that option? We are waiting to see the increase and coverage. We are not gulf front and it seems as tho you would have to be totally blown away before you could collect anything. We don't know, guess we will decide when it comes time to write the check.