• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
There's another thread about Citizen 's insurance for wind insurance. For this thread, I'd like to know who people use for general homeowner's insurance (fire, liability, etc.). Who do you recommend and who don't you recommend (and why). thanks.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
I am currently using Waterfield, and have NOT been pleased with their performance. Issues have taken forever to get resolved, and it is costing me an additional $1,000 this year for insurance (w/ Citizens) because they neglected to give proof to them our house was new. Once they figured that out the rates had gone up.

When I asked to speak to the owner about it I left a message and he never bothered to call back.

Not the standard I would consider acceptable. :dunno:

I am open to hearing who else is good for future reference.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
We have ASI on our Seacrest house -- American Strategic Insurance I think. About $875 for the year. Our wind coverage (Citizens) costs four times that. :bang:

Does anyone know if it is a requirement to carry wind insurance or does it depend on each individual's mortgage company?

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
We use Coastal Insurance in Seagrove Beach as our Broker and they set us up with ASI for property/casualty, Fidelity Natl for flood (not required for us but highly recommended), and Citizens (the only wind company still operating in Florida). The folks at Coastal Insurance were/are great and provide great customer satisfaction when I call, they call back, and they answer all of my questions or get the answers. Call Marcia at Coastal at 850-231-0042. :cool:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
wetwilly said:
We use Coastal Insurance in Seagrove Beach as our Broker and they set us up with ASI for property/casualty, Fidelity Natl for flood (not required for us but highly recommended), and Citizens (the only wind company still operating in Florida). The folks at Coastal Insurance were/are great and provide great customer satisfaction when I call, they call back, and they answer all of my questions or get the answers. Call Marcia at Coastal at 850-231-0042. :cool:

I second what WetWilly says!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Thanks. So far two people say Coastal Insurance is great. I have the insurance arm of Destin Bank as my agent, but I can't say I've been very happy with their service. There were several errors and problems with my insurance papers last year and I spent several days trying to get everything cleaned up with them. However, now that I've done that, there's a cost of time to switch to Coastal Insurance. I wonder if it's worth it.

hutch

Beach Lover
From reading this thread, everyone seems to have the same problems with their insurance company and agent. I have several policies with a local insurance company and wanted to transfer my business insurance from my GA agent to a local agent. I called four insurance companies more than once and did not received a phone call back from any one of them. I guess they do not need any new business. I realize that most of the agents are busy writting new home insurance policy, but when you pay as much as I do a year for all of the difference policies they should be beating down the door. Must all be to busy to make more money on current premiums. Wish I did not have to worry about new clients or keep the ones I have. Don't you! Any agent on the board that wants some business PM me.

the hutch

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
hutch said:
From reading this thread, everyone seems to have the same problems with their insurance company and agent. I have several policies with a local insurance company and wanted to transfer my business insurance from my GA agent to a local agent. I called four insurance companies more than once and did not received a phone call back from any one of them. I guess they do not need any new business. I realize that most of the agents are busy writting new home insurance policy, but when you pay as much as I do a year for all of the difference policies they should be beating down the door. Must all be to busy to make more money on current premiums. Wish I did not have to worry about new clients or keep the ones I have. Don't you! Any agent on the board that wants some business PM me.

the hutch

They do not want your homeowners insurance. If you want them to reply at all, tell them you want auto insurance.;-) Your call will be returned quickly. I guarantee you this will work, even though I have not tried it. These insurance companies are losing big money on home insurance in FL, and make big money on auto policies. If they had returned your calls, it would probably be with a "Screw You!" attached. Sad, but true. Good Luck. Now go make that call.