• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
It really sounds good (except for the allspice, I am not a fan, so to make it authentic, I would probably use a mere pinch) It also sounds Mexican with the addition of chocolate & cinnamon...:D
I'll bet my sorority girls would love it!
Is there a sandwich that is authentic to Cincinnati?
I do "A Taste Of" every once in a while and I would love to do a taste of Cincinnati! (I do native lunch & dinners for the girls)

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
jul & jpbhen...

the big change you need to make is in the way you cook the meat. you don't brown it in a skillet - you mix it with all ingredients and water and bring the whole thing to a boil, and then simmer until thick.
Thanks for the feedback. :D

What about the fat? :blink: The reason I browned the chuck first was to render out the fat before adding the other ingredients. Do you scoop the fat off the top of the chili as it simmers?

What about the fat? :blink: The reason I browned the chuck first was to render out the fat before adding the other ingredients.
Ditto. Plus I like the caramelized taste of the browned beef and the sauteed onions, as opposed to just boiling them first, becuase then you don't get the caramelization.

I am definitely trying this recipe. I'd like a five-way. :blush:

Last edited:

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
well, you can skim off the fat OR refrigerate, skim and then reheat. like a lot of soups, this improves the next day (not that it isn't great right out of the pot). as for browning and carmelization of onions, etc - yes - yummy - but not a part of this kind of chili.

as for the oyster crackers - we always have to ask for more because we eat them up with little drops of hot sauce on each (our son taught us that).

as for a "cincinnati sandwich" - i would have to thinka about that. what do you think, JUL? a baked buddy from larosa's??

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
jul & jpbhen...

What about the fat? :blink: The reason I browned the chuck first was to render out the fat before adding the other ingredients. Do you scoop the fat off the top of the chili as it simmers?

some of them state on the menu they use lean meat.....Just consider it a no diet day and try not to eat anything else that day because if you are watching your fat and calories or sodium...and it really matters...probably best to skip it.

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
jul & jpbhen...

I never make it from scratch...usually just go to the restaurant or sometimes get it in the can but never as good as the restaurant.
Also, the beef when being cooked...almost best to cook it in a little water and break it down....should not be chunky like texas chili....should be almost like taco bell meat. It takes some effort to get it this way...you have to break it down as it cooks...once it cooks it doesn't break down as easy.
Cincinnati is a fun weekend town....You should come in for a weekend go to a Reds or Bengals game...we even have hockey...there is a great art museum, a ballet company, a great theatre district...Quaint little villages like Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout, Main Strausse, Hyde Park...all with cozy taverns. The shopping is good enough...could be better..getting better.
The weather....if you don't like it stay a few days it will probably change.
Great concert venues.A decent aquarium...I like the one at Atlantis better.
Montgomery Inn ribs and The Precinct are must do restaurants...so good.

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
well, you can skim off the fat OR refrigerate, skim and then reheat. like a lot of soups, this improves the next day (not that it isn't great right out of the pot). as for browning and carmelization of onions, etc - yes - yummy - but not a part of this kind of chili.

as for the oyster crackers - we always have to ask for more because we eat them up with little drops of hot sauce on each (our son taught us that).

as for a "cincinnati sandwich" - i would have to thinka about that. what do you think, JUL? a baked buddy from larosa's??

I had almost forgotten about Larosa's. I usually get the steak hoagy but a lot of people get the baked buddy.
Have you tried the pizza with the sausage pepperoni and banana peppers...My friend ordered it...I never would have and I tried it...so Good! I think it is one of the specialty pizzas..Buddy's favorite or something.
It's hard to stay skinny in Cinti with all the good food and beer....:D

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I had never heard of Cincinnati Chili (even though growing up in Pennsylvania) until Joe Kernan discussed it on CNBC a year or so ago. What got my attention was that he said he "did it" 3-way :)biggrin:) or 4-way :)yikes:). A couple months ago, it was mentioned in a SoWal chili thread with less than stellar commendations. However, the February issue of Saveur called out Cincinnati Chili as one of their top 100 foods. I had to give it a try.

I searched for recipes, and the following one seems to be authentic.

I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't chili nor traditional spaghetti with red sauce. But it was different and good. MrsSvelte liked it alot. We'll make it again. :D

Thanks so much for this thread! I've only had Skyline Chili twice but live with a fanatic. On drives to Columbus, he plans the route so we pass through Cincinnati at dinner time. This will be a real treat for him - I can't wait to try it. Thanks again!

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Okay, we just finished eating. We both had it 5-way. I had two helpings - he had three. The verdict:

Neither of us think it is quite the same as Skyline.
Both of us liked it...a bunch.
Simple to make.

Bonus: The house smells great.

Per additional instruction from jpbhen, I didn't brown the meat or onions and left out the chili powder.

Thank you both, drsvelt & jpbhen!

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I had almost forgotten about Larosa's. I usually get the steak hoagy but a lot of people get the baked buddy.
What do these consist of?