• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

• Love them!

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Somewhat like them

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Neither like nor dislike them

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Somewhat dislike them

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • They're horrid!

Votes: 210 70.5%

• Total voters

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Minnie, I don't think Flips Flops was around when the latest edition of the map was printed, so it's a good thing you know where it is located. 8)

cherijean

Beach Fanatic
These ugly blue signs are an excellent example of what happens when you allow a bureaucracy to collect and spend. I think the 4% we send to the TDC is excessive and is poorly spent. Even though I am in a tourist related business I would love to see the TDC eliminated. I resent the fact that my customers are required to pay extra for this kind of CRAP.

Last year we collected nearly $10,000. in bed tax. The idea that it will take over 20 years for our collections to pay for something NOBODY wants makes me disgusted and angry.

In the spirit of good economics I suggest that the county commision shut down the TDC. It is an opportune time Kris Titus and her $120,000. plus salary is leaving. At the very least, don't replace her, cut the staff and budget. This would allow us to reduce the tax back to it's original 2%.

Bed tax collectors unite. Maybe we could start a unified protest whereby none of us collect the bed tax until the county commission takes control of this out of control situation!

Everyone knows we are in tough economic times. For this type of bureaucracy to be allowed to WASTE this kind of money when businesses and families are struggling goes beyond the pale.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
These ugly blue signs are an excellent example of what happens when you allow a bureaucracy to collect and spend. I think the 4% we send to the TDC is excessive and is poorly spent. Even though I am in a tourist related business I would love to see the TDC eliminated. I resent the fact that my customers are required to pay extra for this kind of CRAP.

Last year we collected nearly $10,000. in bed tax. The idea that it will take over 20 years for our collections to pay for something NOBODY wants makes me disgusted and angry.

In the spirit of good economics I suggest that the county commision shut down the TDC. It is an opportune time Kris Titus and her $120,000. plus salary is leaving. At the very least, don't replace her, cut the staff and budget. This would allow us to reduce the tax back to it's original 2%.

Bed tax collectors unite. Maybe we could start a unified protest whereby none of us collect the bed tax until the county commission takes control of this out of control situation!

Everyone knows we are in tough economic times. For this type of bureaucracy to be allowed to WASTE this kind of money when businesses and families are struggling goes beyond the pale.

Tell us how you really feel.You do understand that the majority if the bed tax monies collected go to marketing the area? Thus effectively passing on or enhancing your marketing expenses to your guests thru a fee that you can explain is required by law. This tax also gives you resources for your guests such as maps, information, and guides to the area. If I remember correctly it also partially pays for the life guards.My biggest issue is with people who (and not everyone does this) rent and don't collect/pay the bed tax. They are reaping the benefits of something they are not paying and that is not right. Currently our bed tax is in line with the surrounding counties. If I'm not mistaken it is a level playing field from Santa Rosa to Bay County right now, as far as the 4% is concerned. Keep in mind that the tax you are charging is based on the Florida State 6%, Walton County 1%, and finally the Tourist Development tax of 4%.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Those employees in the Tax Appraisers Office are rather bored these days, and are searching online for short term rental units which aren't paying bed taxes.

My biggest issue is with people who (and not everyone does this) rent and don't collect/pay the bed tax.

Even worse, the ones who rent, collect the 11% bed and state tax from their guests and then don't pay it to the county/state.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Joe, I would agree that the sign you posted, is very attractive and functional. I can appreciate as much as anyone the need to preserve the beauty of a certain area, and I can appreciate the beauty of 30-A..

Maybe someone can present that sign you posted to the powers that be and some refinement of the current signs can occur.

I would hope that this discussion is not going to be simply that, discussion and no action. That truly would be sad.

um, Minnie, just watch. sowallers are serious about their community. always have been. it's a very special place. thanks to many caring folks, like Dave R, who know how to take initiative and make things happen through consensus of residents and businesses.

plus, I have never known sowallers on this board to just talk about stuff for the heck of it, unless in the lounge...

you should see the many threads on beach preservation. discussion alone has brought about a great many changes on county level, and personal level. not to mention those spurred into action to clean beaches, contact the TDC when needed, or be helpful to tourists by talking to them about acceptable beach preservation practices.

this is just one of many examples of the power of sowal people.

up4golf

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2007
can someone create a poll to see how many people think the signs will stay dispite the community uproar? i think somehow the signs are here to stay, so much money has already been spent, although dave's effort is noble and our dislike is real, raising enough money to redo the signs is improbable. plus if enough was collected is there not a better cause for the money to benefit. the tdc has more money than sense.