• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
I would hope that you would not get kicked off this board for voicing your opinion. That is the conculsion that I have had. But, when you get in the house it really is a nice and very spacious house. I do have to say though that when I am comparing I try to compare a house to a house. Condo's are great, and I rent some really nice condos for friends of mine in Destin, but when comparing you just can't compare.
I agree, a house is nice and we prefer them as well. Sometimes we just enjoy the view that a condo typically gives of the gulf. I will give you a link of a house I was interested in, but I can't get them to call me back or respond to the request thru vrbo, so they are missing out on my money. But, I would consider this a good comparison. http://www.vrbo.com/127073. It supposedly has gulf views. Also, this house doesn't have a view, but interior looks nice and it has a pool. http://www.vrbo.com/123646, but again, I haven't heard back from my questions, so they are missing out as well. Anyway, If I was your customer, these are the types I would be comparing your friends house to.

Another thing HIGH on my list is a repeat discount. Sometimes it is just nice to know what to expect---unlike our last trip that looked "great in pictures" but a lie on print, and dirty to boot!

Good luck--your heart and efforts are in the right place, so I am sure you will reap the reward.

URQ

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2007
KANSAS CITY
15 s. Ryan-Emerald Tide...This is the house we just stayed in the week after Christmas...it is so beautiful!! The decor was very nice, professionally decorated, and did not seem to be in need of any urgent updating to me, (and am usually picky since I have some background in interior design.) It was a wonderful home, and I would recommend it to anyone. The location was fantastic too. If you need any comments/recommendations from previous renters I would be happy to do so...I loved Emerald Tide and it was hard to leave...(especially coming back to Kansas City and our 17 degree "heat wave!") URQ

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
15 s. Ryan-Emerald Tide...This is the house we just stayed in the week after Christmas...it is so beautiful!! The decor was very nice, professionally decorated, and did not seem to be in need of any urgent updating to me, (and am usually picky since I have some background in interior design.) It was a wonderful home, and I would recommend it to anyone. The location was fantastic too. If you need any comments/recommendations from previous renters I would be happy to do so...I loved Emerald Tide and it was hard to leave...(especially coming back to Kansas City and our 17 degree "heat wave!") URQ

Thank you for your comments. We hope your group comes back again. My housekeeper commented very highly on your group.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
The house looks really great. It will take a family large enough or a group of people that want to share their vacation with others. Some people just want to use that time to be with family and the family may not be quite large enough. The inside of the house is very nice.:roll:

I agree, the house is great. Good luck on future rentals!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
Good idea too about the having your own domain to link to. Most of the VRBOs I am most interested in have additional photos to look at. The photos on Kurt's site are a much better representation than what you can show on VRBO.
I agree with this. We use VRBO all the time, and one thing I always notice and appreciate are the listings that have a link to the owner's website. Usually the photos on the VRBO page just aren't enough to give a clear representation of the property, but an additional website with more photos and/or a virtual tour often seals the deal for us.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree, a house is nice and we prefer them as well. Sometimes we just enjoy the view that a condo typically gives of the gulf. I will give you a link of a house I was interested in, but I can't get them to call me back or respond to the request thru vrbo, so they are missing out on my money. But, I would consider this a good comparison. http://www.vrbo.com/127073. It supposedly has gulf views. Also, this house doesn't have a view, but interior looks nice and it has a pool. http://www.vrbo.com/123646, but again, I haven't heard back from my questions, so they are missing out as well. Anyway, If I was your customer, these are the types I would be comparing your friends house to.

Another thing HIGH on my list is a repeat discount. Sometimes it is just nice to know what to expect---unlike our last trip that looked "great in pictures" but a lie on print, and dirty to boot!

Good luck--your heart and efforts are in the right place, so I am sure you will reap the reward.

Your second link is for a house in Cypress Dunes- isn't this the development without beach access? You can see the Gulf, but have to get in the car to get to it, right?

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
I'd suggest listing everywhere you can except VRBO. VRBO is a lousy site for vacationers to use, unless they know the area well and know what community they want to be in. Get listed on a bunch of the other sites and you'll get inquiries. I can't guarantee bookings, but you should get lots of inquiries.

I undestand what you are saying, but vrbo still brings us a lot of inquiries and ultimately bookings. In my opinion, even though the site is not the best design by any stretch, it is the granddaddy and gets a lot of traffic (I'd assume the most). Also, for what it is worth - homeaway has indicated they will be updating it to be more inline with their other sites (pretty much all of them).

NewUrbanGirl

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Some simple tips that have worked for us...
Check your email at least once a day for inquiries.
Call people back if they call you.
Email people back if they email you.
Follow up!
Be nice!
Give them good information on the house that is targeted to their needs; highlight what the kids can expect if they have kids, for example; tell them what's unique about your home to suit their needs.
Tell the truth.
If there is something they need to know about your place that's not immediately obvious, tell them. Everyone will be happier if they know what to expect.
Direct them to your own website if you have one; if not, consider getting one, well worth the cost.

We get a lot of inquiries and bookings via vrbo, but do have a link to our own website there. We also advertise on vacationrentals.com. And I've just started a small google and yahoo campaign this past year. Don't know how that's going to work out as yet. Does anyone else do that?